What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 21 of 26
Matty wrote:
I'd say yes for an extra rank, but it should look different then a general rank. So maybe a gold bar like sough_boy suggests.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Madagascarter wrote:
How about a Tournament winner Rank? That would persuade people to join tournaments as showing that rank shows pride.
Playing Deep Sea Adventure, you can't track me

Summer 2 Countdown

Get your purchases in 2 hours beforehand
aeronautic wrote:
@Madagascarter Ranks shouldn't be related to game achievement, apart from points related to experience as they are.

I think the medals and trophies idea that we are thinking about, would be a better place for achievements such as this.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
@dough_boy & @Matty,

I like the idea of the Gold Bar or something on those lines... a distinctive rank, top tier!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
As dough_boy pointed out to me, we seem to like his idea of a Gold Bar.
I think it was suggested above as an extra rank as opposed to the Dominator rank?

For me, I think it should be a new Field Marshal rank, which outranks the General rank.
I think the Dominator rank image should stay as it is, so if players are good enough to get to Field Marshal, they should be seen as the ultimate rank.
vikingo1337 wrote:
Funny. I actually half considered suggesting a new Marshall rank these last few days, but didn’t get around to it, and here it is, already on the table. Thumbs up. It would be a great addition to the ranks. And of course, above General as has historically always been the case.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
AlexCheckMate wrote:
aeronautic
As dough_boy pointed out to me, we seem to like his idea of a Gold Bar.
I think it was suggested above as an extra rank as opposed to the Dominator rank?

For me, I think it should be a new Field Marshal rank, which outranks the General rank.
I think the Dominator rank image should stay as it is, so if players are good enough to get to Field Marshal, they should be seen as the ultimate rank.

I like the idea, but I think I'd prefer to see it reversed?
Field Marshall as the 3 starred rank (at 6000 rating?) and Dominator as the full on gold bar?

To me, it makes sense that 3 stars comes after 2 stars and 1 star (all the general ranks - static achievable ranks) and the gold bar is something rather different, which could be awarded monthly to the new D12 winner (Medal of Honour? Trophy? I dunno... but dynamic, not static)?
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
elysium5 wrote:
If it is not hard to show what it looks like, I always enjoy seeing new ideas for rank presentations. I completely understand why we have a more simplistic and as universal as possible set of ranks now but it is always fun to see different versions.

I know it has been discussed before and you can shut me down at any time because this is only a gut feeling and not a closely analysed and carefully considered one but is it maybe the right time to look at possibly offering other background colors for premium rank badges?

I was thinking something like a top 12 favorite colors of course to fit with the theme of D12?

We currently have:

Blue
Red
Green
Black
White

Just throwing an idea out there and to clarify these examples aren't necessarily the ones I think need to be used. That would be another topic if this is even considered. If we added 7 more colors to the options the 12 color list would look something like this according to some slight moderation's to the most googled top ten and runner up lists for favorite colors and would look something like:

1. Blue
2. Red
3. Green
4. Purple
5. Black
6. Orange
7. Yellow
8. Gold
9.White
10. Silver/Grey
11. Pink
12. Cyan/Teal

Again, if it is an integrity issue please feel free to shut this idea down again. I am only bringing it up because extra money has been needed to be spent on site upgrades recently and will also need to be in the future and this may be, I don't pretend to know for sure, be a way to add value by adding more options to choose from when a player purchases a premium membership?
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
vikingo1337 wrote:
I’m gonna pass on the colour discussion, since I’m not premium.

However, there is such a thing as a ‘Three-star General’. It is above ‘Major General’, I believe. So on top of both would be ‘Field Marshall’ – and then ‘Dominator’.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-star_rank
~Fafnismal 28
vikingo1337 wrote:
Two crossed batons (or swords) seem to be the most prevalent insignia for ‘Field Marshall’ today. A notable exception is the US, where the rank is known as ‘General of the Army’ and is symbolised by a circle of five stars.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_marshal
~Fafnismal 28
aeronautic wrote:
All suggestions are welcome, as rank is virtually impossible to streamline. The older military nations tend to prefix the General ranks and the newer military nations tend to tier the General ranks.
Also there's an equivalent of all ranks between the different branches, Airforce, Navy & Army with no line of equality, even in one branch of the forces, there can be different / extra ranks depending on your trade / regiment. This leads to squabbles over the command in mixed branch operations.
This is why I think we found a good rank system that tends to cover most Military Branches and Nations.

Field Marshal tends to be a rank from the older nations and so it would normally be old fashioned symbols such as, swords or lions & laurel wreaths, so I quite like the suggestion of crossed swords.

I'm unsure about the Dominator rank as it's been discussed and revisited before... if we were to move this to a Gold Bar, this would leave the 3 Stars open for an extra rank, perhaps General in Chief or Staff General or General of the Army (too long)??? This could even be the Field Marshal insignia????

One main question that needs to be answered.
Do we want the Dominator rank to look like it supersedes all other ranks, or to just look like a different "honourary" rank?

With regard to more colours for Premium players, I'm not against it, but we deliberated long and hard over the current colours, as even a slight difference in each colour looked tacky and false. Dark colours seem to work best among those with colour as opposed to white & black.
elysium5 wrote:
Now that you reminded me, I do recall that the additional colors did indeed look tacky.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
dough_boy wrote:
Honestly, I didn't even know different colors were a thing. So I would be fine with where they are at. I think that Dominator should have a different insignia (that stands out), and the 3 stars can be returned and added on as the ultimate purchase rank. I would guess 6,000.