Make Dominating 12 look and function better!
  • 385 posts
  • Page 14 of 26
Matty wrote:
There are settings to not get invited: https://dominating12.com/account/notifications (at the bottom)

Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of enviting everyone into your game. Just don't put a password in it, and people that want to can already join your game without you pinging them.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
Matty rightly pointed out I never followed up on the attack interface redesign. Looking at Vexer's last suggestion, I think 9a looks good.

[image]

The only addition I will consider making is that you can click on either the from or to territories to send none or all troops respectively. It is maybe not the most discoverable feature, but I am hesitant about adding more buttons. The +/- buttons probably aren't necessary if you can use the arrows on the number input (in most browsers).

I think this attack interface should be used everywhere:
  • When placing reinforcements, it should show the total reserves left on the left.
  • After attacking.
  • Fortification round.

This means the top bar won't be used for any game mechanics any more. That means it will be reserved from changing phases only, which I think is great. It should reduce the number of misclicks hopefully, and also allow us to make the top bar a single row once again.

My suggestion:
We implement this and make it an option people can turn on as beta. If people like it, we will turn it on as default. Then over time we will remove the old option.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Some things:
- I'd like to have both options forever if possible, with this being the default (after a beta).
- Clicking one of the territories should be a +1 / -1.
You can easily send everything by either: click send right away, it starts with everything selected right?
Drag the slider all the way to the right and then send. Still easy.
You can easily send nothing by clicking the cross in the top right. That should have a hover btw saying that it does send no troops.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
Fair enough.

I don't like keeping both options though. It means we have to maintain both of them. With a small team like ours that can't test everything extensively all the time, the old way is going to break if it's not the default at some point. I'd rather delete it on our own terms.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Matty wrote:
Hmmm, good point.
dough_boy wrote:
People will tell you what they like. Ultimately one will have to win out to Cireon's point. I imagine we might have a few rounds of beta before one is the winner.
JeopardyTempest wrote:
Just hoping it will make very easy differentiation between the phases as Cireon and The Bishop suggested in the closed thread. Certainly looks nice and will be great to use it :)
Cireon wrote:
As a Christmas gift, I decided to get working on this.

Here is some work in progress:

https://i.gyazo.com/c880bbf1e71d5919037ca650f9f8b0c8.mp4
https://i.gyazo.com/381bc433a83372daa84e162375654439.mp4

We won't release this over Christmas since we want to make sure we don't have to fix broken things while spending time with our family, but we'll roll out this change soon after Christmas for everybody to try. I am looking forward to your feedback :)
dough_boy wrote:
Nice!

Wondering if as you move the range it shows what it would look like in the map?
Cireon wrote:
No. I don't think we should do that, because I think it's important to keep the game state as expected. I think if we start changing the map people get confused. It's also a lot harder to do technically. We can experiment though, since we won't make the new UI default until we're convinced we're happy with it.
Hoodlum wrote:
presents coollll.
my only thought is how it would effect sametime unlimited fortification games, where you don't want that slider being in the way. a checkbox option to manually set it's position where ever you want it to pop up, ( like in the ocean part of the map), would work.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Cireon wrote:
There is now an "enable experimental game UI" setting your account settings. Please enable it and give the new UI a try! Share here if you like it and if not, what you don't like. What would you change?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Note: you can always turn it back off.
Matty wrote:
On windows, firefox here. Because of the slider's border, the input boxes look a bit off place. Can that border be removed?

[image]
Cireon wrote:
Hmm, I haven't seen that border before, must be a default style Firefox applies. Can you check where the style comes from in the dev tools?