Make Dominating 12 look and function better!
  • 385 posts
  • Page 11 of 26
Matty wrote:
@Cireon: I like the from and to.

Could you try your first picture (before the + and - suggestion). Then replace the send none and send all with a + and - (as in one of your newer pictures) and then add a row, and on that new row add the send all and send none buttons (I'd suggest both in the bottom right, but worth trying multiple things).

That might work, though it does add a new row.

If it's too much, maybe take the first image and then not center the send button, but put it in the bottom right, and then add the + and - button in the bottom left - that way it doesn't take an extra row.

Just some quick suggestions, gotta go again :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
The reason why I like putting the send none and send all buttons on either side is because it is a visual representation of what they do, which makes it easier to understand, and also harder to misclick. Here are some of your suggestions + others. I will start numbering the images so they are easier to talk about.

[image]
3A

[image]
3B

[image]
3C

[image]
3D

Of course we could also decide to not have the "send none" and "send all" buttons at all, because you can quite easily slide the slider all the way left or right:

[image]
3E
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Adding 2A to have it on this page as well.
[image]

Now I see my own suggestion of using an extra row, I think it's a bad suggestion.

I'd be happy with any of 2A, 3D, 3E,
2A being the most functional, 3E the easiest one to understand, 3D a good compromise.

I guess the best thing would to either have both 3E and 2A (3E as default, 2A as an option), or to have 3D.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
CheekyTeeky wrote:
I like the idea of a send all or none option (or min max), I would also find it useful to have the number being sent displayed as a combo box which can take numerical input or a drop down list of values like we currently have
You have a keen military mind Pod...
dough_boy wrote:
CheekyTeeky
I like the idea of a send all or none option (or min max), I would also find it useful to have the number being sent displayed as a combo box which can take numerical input or a drop down list of values like we currently have
Cireon can use the Select2 "plugin" to turn a select box into a text box that allows you to type a number, but it still validates (client side) against the provided options.
Cireon wrote:
Is a combo box really nicer to use than a slider? I am also considering touch devices as well, where using a combo box would have to be controller through whatever the OS throws at you. I just cannot imagine why you would prefer that over a slider which is visually a lot easier to interpret on first glance and doesn't need multiple clicks/a keyboard to provide input. Just wondering...
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
CheekyTeeky wrote:
I use a phone and I like to have precise numbers reinforced rather than either multiple screen touches (which usually makes my screen zoom in and out) on the plus or minus buttons to get there or trying to get close to the right number on the slider. I don't think it needs to override the slider it could be a discrete addition to the GUI. Just IMO however I understand if it is not for everyone.
Cireon wrote:
Ah ok thanks for the clarification. That makes sense then. I may have an idea that works, so I'll post that later today.
Cireon wrote:
Here is another mock:

[image]

I removed the +/- buttons and replaced them with a number box below the slider. In the final version we would make sure everything is centred, so please only judge the idea. The number input would show the number of troops being moved (just like the select now). I think the number input works just fine, and there is no need for a select box. Most mobile phones will show a good interface to type in numbers these days, and as you can see on my browser at least is shows the equivalent of +/- buttons. It is an extra control, it adds another number to the interface, and I prefer the "send troops" button centred (the whole dialog now feels a bit right-heavy), but it may be a good compromise. Thoughts?
Cireon wrote:
Based on that idea, here's an alternative putting the number input above the slider instead of below, which allows us to put the "send troops" button back in the centre. With or without extra row:

[image]
5A

[image]
5B
Matty wrote:
Some thoughts:
- I agree with centering the send troops box and hiding the number box in one of the corners.
- It feels a bit weird to have it though, doesn't fit with the theme.
- All and None still require two clicks, and the slider looks small. What happends if we put the number box in the center row, and move the none and all to the bottom row?

Edit: I don't really like the extra row from 5A, but I do like the idea of 5B. I wonder what happends with long territory names though.
Cireon wrote:
My idea was that "None" and "All" require just one click, but I agree that it's not clear because they are not in the same row as the "send troops" button. 2A is clearer regarding that, but I think it is more intuitive to have the "none" and "all" button in the same row, because I don't think you would connect the positioning in the bottom row with the meaning of the positioning in the middle row. Also there is no good way to "centre" the number input box on the middle row, so it would probably go right of the slider which puts 3 numbers in the same row, and I am not sure how obvious that would be.

We can probably change the theming of the number input a bit, but we are limited to how much browsers allow us to edit it.
Matty wrote:
Right now I expect the none and all just to set the slider, but not send any troops. Just from the UI point of view.

I'd like them to send as well, but it should be clearer IMO.
Cireon wrote:
Agreed
CheekyTeeky wrote:
Nice it looks good in the middle; maybe to simplify the UI the number displayed is the amount selected to be sent which can take input from the slider, the plus minus buttons, direct text input or from the drop down. So I would keep the slider up the top with territories on each side but maybe the numbers of troops currently on territories isn't necessary as I feel it's adding tmi. I would then have a send min and send max button under the territories on either side of the central troops moving box which could have the plus minus buttons stacked on the left of the central box with a send button on the right. I have an image in my head that i can't quite convey in words but hopefully you get what I mean. It might also help to use tool tips which can be toggled off and on. I will leave these ideas in your capable hands ^^