Make Dominating 12 look and function better!
  • 385 posts
  • Page 12 of 26
Vexer wrote:
@ Cheeky, the number of troops on the territory circles don't show tmi. They aren't showing how many troops are there; they show how many will be there. The numbers change when you move the slider.

How about this:

[image]

The spacing and sizes need a little work and it's still not clear if hitting the none or all buttons moves the slider and changes the input box or if it executes. I think it should execute and people will just have to learn the hard way.
Matty wrote:
Vexer
people will just have to learn the hard way.
To me this feels like a bad excuse for bad design.

Sometimes it really is better just to put some less buttons in a small space and have a little bit less functionality.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
X7 wrote:
Looks nice - simple and clean UI - perhaps change the color of FROM and TO - a red color or something which will not create user mistake?

Do it for the memes
Cireon wrote:
The reason why I always kept the slider on the middle row is that I feel the entire UI is designed around it. You have two countries and with the slider you balance the troops between it. The "send all" and "send none" are just shortcuts (are they necessary if it's really easy to drag the slider? I don't know) and the +/- was requested for precision control, but the number input already gives that, so I am really not sure why they have to be added back into the design :|
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
CheekyTeeky wrote:
@Vexer I understood that the number would change I have seen the same concept on other risk sites. What I was trying to say is that we currently have virtually no info regarding which territories we're moving to and from and now a new UI is coming in with the same convoluted info IMO. We D12 players already know how much is on a territory and have an idea of how many we want to move, do we really need the UI to add it up for us? I have always liked the simplicity of the existing UI and believe less is more in these instances.

@Analyzer I think the colour depends on the player colour.

@Cireon if players like to use the slider the plus minus buttons add precision to that specific control whereas the combo box users would not use the slider or plus minus buttons at all.
You have a keen military mind Pod...
aeronautic wrote:
I was going to say.....
I think 2A is the most aesthetic and easiest to quickly grasp layout.
I would suggest removing the word "Send" from "Send None" & "Send All" and just use "None" & "All", also the implement button (Send) needs to look like an Ultimate button, so perhaps have a Tinted button or Highlighted / Outlined?

But this would be for when Cireon first exampled this and there has been a lot of discussion and refinement since, so I'll read on and see where it's at now.

I've read a bit more, but won't give any feedback that will cause more discussion, more option & more confusion, only what I can see as a pitfall or a good & easy look.
e.g. Where the Territories are listed From & To, there shouldn't really be anything else in that line, because some territory names are long and all available space will be needed to automatically move the "To" to the left as the names get large. Of course, some are way too long and should be cut off at x characters. (after thought.. some territories are long and duplicated with a numerical suffix, as in World Double and others, so perhaps use the longest one from those maps as the cut-off character length, so as to ensure that the "2" at the end is shown?)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
I still like 2A best as well.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
dough_boy wrote:
What about something like the following? It would accommodate longer names (no collisions) and you could hide the slider unless someone chose it. You could also add a drop list in as well that would only be visible if specific was chosen. You choose specific and it grays out the other buttons, etc. This is rather crude and the interface could be smaller (e.g. buttons, etc).

[image]
Matty wrote:
If we can get something that has 3 rows, not 4, I'd take it all the time. Remember, this is a big and very annoying box in your face that stops you from seeing the map. The smaller the better.

That's the good thing about having the controls on top: it's only one row* - it hides very little of the map.

*currently two, but that has to go anyways, it seemed like a good idea, but it wasn't.

For reference:
[image]
2A

[image]

My suggestion:
[image]
dough_boy wrote:
It would only be 4 rows if you chose specific...or you could have when choosing specific that the slider appears where the other two buttons are...back to 3 rows...or if you want the from and the to on one row you are down to 2 rows.

Remember, mine is not to scale. All three of yours are not really user friendly, (too much in my opinion). On top of this if you have large territory names they could push together.
Vexer wrote:
Ok. I have put some thought into this based on the feedback.

First, we don't need all or none buttons. The default is all so just clicking send will work for that. If you want to send none, then just click the X in the upper right corner.
We also don't need + and - buttons. Just click on the territory circle to add 1. Maybe it could say "Add 1" when you hover. To fix the territory name length problem I put one above and left and the other below and right. The send button is centered between the From territory circle and the To territory text. It would adjust to make space for longer names. This design also gives us the longest slider which will make it so much easier on a phone.

[image]

If the number of troops involved is over 100 (or a user preset) then the input box can appear.

[image]
9a
Hoodlum wrote:
I haven't read this all yet. It looks neat, and hoping there is consideration for sametime mode in the design. I like the idea of the attack button being closer to gameplay and I think I have mentioned that before, which would be ideal for sametime as it will help with speed, but it also might be covering some areas of play that I need to be watching. For sametime games I guess, being able to type an amount to send would be useful for PC users (no-one plays sametime on a phone). Maybe more transparency to be considered or if it's draggable then cool, ...

an idea below..this is how the PC version RISK 2 slider looks like. number to send would change/display on the middle of the slider
[image]
[image]
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
CheekyTeeky wrote:
Wow Vexer that is sleek genius, love it.

@Hood I play same time on a phone though rarely ^^
You have a keen military mind Pod...
aeronautic wrote:
I think it's really getting refined well now.

Just going by Vexer's example and Hoodlum's suggested addition, I don't think there's a need for the input box at all if the troops are displayed in the slider as well as the two values "From & To" changing accordingly.
Of course, the speed of the slider will still have to be fast and not ratio'd and if fine tuning is required, you could also make the "To" field interactive, so the player can type how many they wish to move. I also like the - & + added to the ends of the slider as in Hood's suggestion.
(If the figure is more than available, it can revert back to the default).

I wouldn't use a "X" to reset the amount though, it suggests closing the window.
Perhaps something that suggests "undo"?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
Putting the troops on the slider will introduce a lot of extra work, because then we cannot use the native slider given to us by the browser. It is therefore also more likely to be buggy.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card