*update*
  • 135 posts
  • Page 2 of 9
Thorpe wrote:
cool got it and thx!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
thanks for the tutorial pntbttr. i have been wondering how you did it. in photoshop it's an option you can click so i never though about how you could do the same thing in paint.net
Pntbttr wrote:
It was pretty easy to figure out...you can always play around with the Tolerance and amount of blur and Opacity but it is pretty easy do.
Vexer wrote:
pntbttr's regions and connections are better. go with those.
Thorpe wrote:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/falklandislands1.jpg/

New update with different areas.

Does it look good?
Game play?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Pntbttr wrote:
You forgot the connection line between the border of green to the border of purple (you really need some names on there).

The some of the colors I think are too bright...you cant see the texture at all because they are too bright(I am starting to like your texture its not to much and not to little)...it also looks like you blurred the borders I like it...I think it fits with the map...others might not like that you might want to stay with the old one duplicate it and put the other one in overlay and then blur it(you could also do this with white if you wanted a glowing effect)

You don't need the title or region bonus till the last version but here are the region bonuses I have come up with:

(by defending I mean borders connected to other territories)

region bonuses:
(2 defending territories)
2=1.4
3=1.8
4=2.1
5=2.4
6=2.8
7=3.1
8=3.4
9=3.8
10=4.1

region bonuses:
(3 defending territories)
3=2.2
4=2.5
5=2.8
6=3.2
7=3.5
8=2.8
9=4.2
10=4.5

region bonuses:
(4 defending territories)
4=2.9
5=3.2
6=3.6
7=3.9
8=4.2
9=4.6
10=4.9

Vexer gave me the formula(which is:territories/3 + defending territories/2.5)

when it is point something(example=2.2) just round according to the adjacent regions(example the red and orange region should be either 1 or 2 because you can take it all over and only have to defend one border...I think you should add a few connection lines from there to the other side)
Pntbttr wrote:
oh and one of the most importiant things about makeing a map is have tons of layers...you should have 1 layer for the outline 1 layer for the color 1 layer for the texture 1 layer for the territory circles 1 layer for glow and/or darken 1 layer for minimap 1 layer for region bonus 1 layer for text 1 layer for black outline for text.......
Thorpe wrote:
get job Pnttr!
great facts!
you might want to write a tutorial in your own forum topic!
ask Vexer if you should.
will help a lot of people that want to make maps...he has one started with photos so maybe you can use his and yours...team work!
This is what people that want to get started making maps need!
Thorpe wrote:
Have one just for the written steps.
What you need
1. "Paint.net"...with link that they can click
2. How to get a outline...Vexer can make that for them...start them out right
3. Layering so you can change and check work
4. Coloring the land
5. Adding textures

on and on...

Pntbttr maybe you can teach them how...because Vexer is a little rough with his statements if he has to repeat himself. I don't mind it cause I know him but others will not try after his chat with him.
LOL
And when I learn it by heart I can help also.
I know enough right now to get myself in trouble!
Get about two maps under my belt then we will see.

I know when I wanted to try my hand at map making the forum didn't tell me what I needed to even start! Had to ask around...Vexer told me to get "Paint.net" and then it began....the long hours...the chewing out...the mistakes...the do overs...more long hours...the 20 or more saved files...and on and on..
Thorpe wrote:
The tutorial needs to have reply's locked so you don;t have to go through all the reply's to get to what you want. So it would not be like when you look up other things and have to scroll down to get what you want...make another forum topic for that.

What do you think?
Glanru wrote:
Most people do not find learning new software to be fun. I only like it when it's a clear and easy to understand upgrade of existing software that I am familiar with. And, learning how to make maps on top of this can be even more challenging. I spent 4 or 5 months doing at least one Photoshop tutorial a day, just to become more familiar with the software. During that time I made a couple of maps, and now I want to go back to each of those and make them better. It can be time consuming and hard work, but it's nice to have accomplished making a map.
Thorpe wrote:
That was one of my problems...like my old program...this one is harder but has better pics for maps and once you learn it begins to get easier.
Teaching this Ol' 50 year old mind something new is sometimes hard!

Pntbttr wrote:
I love the idea! I never really thought about it...I just kind of hurled myself into it and hoped it would work out. Wasnt sure what I was doing for a long time! I am still learning how! I just made a mistake was corrected by vexer and repeated that process until I got it...
Thorpe wrote:
Let me know!!!
[url=http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3529/falklandislands2.th.jpg[/url]