Remake
  • 165 posts
  • Page 5 of 11
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks for all the accuracy feedback.
This is really needed for a good story map.

I have a slight problem with land labels, my computer crashed some time ago and I lost the font used. It might be a while before I find it again, but if I can't find it, I will have to change the land label font in order to make the label changes.

The wall will be on the impassable key and made obvious, also the mountains everywhere bar Starfall have gaps around them and are not over region / territory border lines. I think that's the best I can offer for intuitiveness if the map is to be kept the same as the story map in style. Otherwise, I would have to drop all the graphics such as forests, mountains & hills and make it a 2D map with 3D mountains in Starfall as impassable.
The statement I would always use here is, "If you can see a territory / region border line you can cross it and attack"

I already cut the forest back in The Neck, compare 5 & 6. There is a clear path above the forest to Cape Kraken, plus "if you can see a territory line.... etc."

@supiachao Thanks for taking an interest in map development.
The sea labels are normally secondary labels just for authenticity & geography, plus gap fillers on Risk Game Boards. I can make them brighter and let's see what the feedback is when I do?
Nobody has mentioned the port anchors, so again, I will make them bigger and more primary coloured and let's see what the feedback is when I do?
Whenever possible on maps, I prefer to put the anchor (port graphic) on the sea almost touching the land, but sometimes we have to overlap them to make them intuitive. There was only one that wasn't intuitive enough on this map, Summerhall, because of the island not in the game-play, advisers weren't sure to which territory the island belonged and felt it important to distinguish the port to Summerhall and away from the island.
Westeros & Essos 5 (click to show)
Westeros & Essos 6 (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Westeros & Essos 6 (click to show)
Westeros & Essos 7 (click to show)

I made the changes suggested by Cireon & supiachao.
Yes, I found the font I had used and downloaded it.

I wasn't 100% sure about the change required for "Barrowlands", I assume it was to replace "Barrowtown"?

I have also made the Key and inserted the bonuses on the Mini Map.

I had to change the font in the Mini Map for the sake of N & S Essos. I tried the same font as the land labels on the Main Map, but at the size required for the Mini Map, the "s" was the most unreadable letter and because I was unable to resize it large enough to be more readable and that there are 3 to 4 of them in the labels, I was forced to change it all to what I think is still a suitable font for the theme.

An important matter is the Map Name?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
supiachao wrote:
I really like the changes to the port, make it more distinctive and prominent.

Is the colour of the name of the sea the same colour as the blue port? If it is so, can it be a different colour? Look a little odd if it is the same colour. (not a problem if you keep it that way, it look very clear)

ps: Since I am using a 12:9 screen laptop, the map is long and I need to scroll up and down, I think that the bigger anchor will help many people during the game, they don't need to look for the port, they can see the port.

I like the changes very much.
The_Bishop wrote:
The map looks ready. As for the title I think "Westeros & Essos" is right.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
No, the sea labels are not the same colour as the ports, they are a brighter version of what they were, as suggested.
Notice, I moved the Sea of Ice label away from the Port at The Frozen Shore, because I knew somebody would think they were too similar in colour (not that this matters) and that they might cause some sort of confusion.
I'm glad you like the port & sea label changes, let's see what others now think?
aeronautic wrote:
Westeros & Essos 8 (click to show)
naathim wrote:
Man aero, that looks fabulous! I really like the new port symbols, much clearer and easier to see. The key and mini-map look fantastic. Wonderful specificity on the impassables.

Everything looks so nice and crisp.

Only quibble I got is the metal color of the title doesn't quite seem to gel with the rest of the map.

Amazing work, really!
aeronautic wrote:
I can change that, but that metal was rock.
Hoodlum wrote:
looks great. just a thought.. because you are talented.. should/could the 'Sea of Ice' or the shore of 'Frozen Shore' have an..icy/frozen look? icebergs/whitish blend colour etc..

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
elysium5 wrote:
I just realized what's missing...Dragons!
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Hoodlum wrote:
dragons!
Spoiler (click to show)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
The_Bishop wrote:
I think dragons are extinct in "A Song of Ice and Fire" since maybe it would be better some dragon skeletons.

"Ports the same colour can attack each other" seems like it needs a grammar adjustment (but I might be wrong on this): shouldn't the word "of" (or a colon) be there, after "Ports"?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
@Barrowtown: the area is called Barrowlands, the town itself is called Barrowton (without 'w';). I thought Barrowlands was more suitable as territory name.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
It'd be nice if the minimap font can be 1 larger, and yes, the impassables key can use a re-read :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
supiachao wrote:
Question: Can Queenscrown attacks Fist of the First Men?

The Wall seems to connect with the mountain not the river, so there is a tiny gap, passable or impassable?

Yes, dragon!!