Remake
  • 165 posts
  • Page 2 of 11
aeronautic wrote:
It is an actual (fictional) map from a TV series and books and it was proposed to make it more like the actual map.
Type in Westeros on Google images and look at the map we are trying to represent as a game map, you'll see the current one is nothing like it and if you see naathim's feedback above, you'll notice how passionate some people are about this map & story.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
elysium5 wrote:
All I have to say is, if you play a game of thrones, you win or die.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Is that frozen wall thing impassable? Lol I know NOTHING about Game of Thrones!
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

naathim wrote:
Cireon wrote:
Virtuosity98 - Feb 4, 05:45 PM
Is that frozen wall thing impassable? Lol I know NOTHING about Game of Thrones!
[image]

Strictly speaking the wall is passable through some gates, which are controller from the south side, so if you want to stay as close to the lore as possible, the wall should be passable from the south. Maybe also from the north, but with a huge disadvantage.... too much huh?

I am personally a bit hesitant about the impassable rivers. They are not very obvious, so they make the map less intuitive. Not sure if that is what you want to achieve from this map, but it does make it more difficult to play on (also the impassables and connections are less "true to the canon" if you will).

I took another look at the regions, and I think the mostly work out pretty well. I would consider getting rid of the blue port at the Frozen Shore, making that region more attractive and more "on the edge". I think the other three blue ports are in the right spot (and would not even misfit lorewise). I have more difficulty judging the yellow ports however, so somebody else probably should take a look at them.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Strategery wrote:
Please don't get rid of the current Westeros map. It's one of the better maps here.

The new one looks very nice, but it seems to have too many single territory choke points in it.

Once this new map is done, can we retain the old one?
Vexer wrote:
It's possible to keep the old one but only old players will be able to play on it. No new players will be given access to the old map.
aeronautic wrote:
What about giving this a different title something like Westeros Story or other suggestions and keeping the other one as well? The old one might have to have an overhaul as well, which I was trying to avoid because it is harder working on someone else's map.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
I was really hoping The_Bishop would be here during the early stages of this map, he is our main game-play man also with a keen interest in Westeros... Grrr! Where are you when I need you Bishop!?! Would anyone like to tackle the game-play of the whole map with suggestions / concerns?

@Cireon: Thanks for your suggestions, I will work on these!
@Strategery: I have placed a post above to cover your concerns about the current Westeros map, also I have been very careful not to put any choke points on this, all regions have at least 2 territories on borders. What in particular do you like about the current map, is it the amount of regions, amount of territories, connectivity or something else?
Hoodlum wrote:
Map Title suggestions (not all that familiar with it but these titles come up when searching Westeros)
"A Song of Ice and Fire"
"Game of Thrones"

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks Hood, but I wouldn't like to infringe on copyright with those, they are the titles of the stories.
We have permission to use Westeros and therefore the name of the place that the map represents.
Any other suggestions?
naathim wrote:
Overall gameplay looks solid. The regions look well balanced.

You've done an excellent job in balancing the vertical and horizontal potential movement paths. You can get to pretty much any territory on the map in 7 moves. This is going to be one of those maps where you have to watch where your territories and make sure you don't block yourself in by mistake.

If you unluckily spawn with a preponderance of northern territories, you're going to have a rough time of things. If you want, you could take the Iron Islands, Cape Kraken, Stony Shore, and The Rills and make a small region. It'd be a little off from the books, but I do think it would make more fair gameplay. Just extend the river to completely block of Barrowtown and you're still left with same number of borders.

And that's about the only little quibble with overall gameplay I see. Solid map.

aeronautic wrote:
Thanks naathim, very helpful.