map submission
  • 151 posts
  • Page 5 of 11
aeronautic wrote:
People are now asking for changes and other things are happening as a result.
Now that you have added asterisks to the 3 Independent States, you just know somebody without our seasoned knowledge is going to ask what they are for. I believe now there should be the same asterisk against the names in the Legend.

Since correcting region colours and sharpness etc, the mini map now needs updating again.

Since adding the 2015 to the signatures, the text has had to move to the right and has landed where it is camouflaged, could you increase opacity very slightly to make them just about readable.

I like the Title where it is, but I also liked it where Hoodlum put it, where naathim also suggested, do you think it is worth uploading both versions for comparison and a vote that will put that one to bed?

The map looks better and better every time you meet a concern or request.
I did not expect this map to turn out as beautiful as this.

I have to say, beside PsymonStark who we all know has exceptional map skills and has numerous maps and updates to prove it, Hoodlum has done a fantastic job with limited tools and no previous map skills whatsoever apart from dabbling, which became this map! He should be very proud of what he has achieved here and this is living proof that if you are willing to listen to those who have experience in the field, you can develop skills you didn't know you had and become very accomplished.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
*+2 looks weird and doesn't fit the space given. I already tried it but it didn't look well without redoing all the images on the legend.

I like to hide well my name on maps. I prefer it clouded by the background. Plus it's Hoodlum who made most of the map. I just helped. EDIT: Hoody's name wasn't very visible either. Consequently I applied a +10% opacity to the signature for future releases.

The minimap update can wait to a more definitive version. I didn't make the whole map so it takes some time and thinking which layers to hide to make the minimap.

Changed a couple of names after doing some research in Sulawesi.

On titles...
Spoiler (click to show)

I vote A.

PS. I'm giving you a lot of work on the map progress thread :P
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Sorry if I sound pedantic, but none of that was what I was suggesting.

I meant the title to be weighted against the Legend and for the signatures to stay where they are. I also know you are modest and don't want to make your signature a feature, but it is really unreadable at that colour and opacity when at the bottom of the map.
Also I meant the asterisks to be after the words, as I know it would like weird next to the +

I have made an example, take no notice of colours etc, this is purely for reference:
Title position & asterisk example (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
naathim wrote:
I'd vote for a combination of C and Aero's.

Leave the title where it is in C and leave the signatures where Aero has them. But if Psymon want's it to be hidden, well go ahead and hide it. It ain't no big deal.

And having suggested the asterisks I don't think I like them. You really don't notice them with the font and the background. So if they don't really draw the eye, then I don't think they're actually necessary. Yay for changing opinions? Lol sorry, what's other's opinion on that?

And cheers to Hoodlum for doing an awesome job!!
Hoodlum wrote:
Signature font is exactly what I had in mind Psymon, and thanks for taking care of these touch ups. I would vote A or C for title positioning, maybe C as naathim makes a good point about the empty space. But I'm ok with either.
I like the asterix's as aero suggests.
I am definitely very proud of what has been accomplished, this is a good team effort and it went quickly (or seemed quick) but probably because there was interest in it and lots of comments to work with to help me out. certainly learnt a lot and that was the aim to start with, and this is what resulted.. choice!
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum wrote:
i think i do like the asterix suggestion naathim, (even though u changed your mind about it lol) it isn't overly noticeable, which is good, unless you are looking for it. . Im a bit close to the project so I know where everything is, i wonder how someone else (other than anyone involved in this process) would be able to read the map legend.

[edit] Vexer actually suggested the asterix first.
Hoodlum wrote:
Still part of the learning process, so had a go at capital placements, from 2 - 9 players.
*noticed there wasn't a pink capital in the capital images download in the map making tutorial.
Capital Placements (click to show)
PsymonStark wrote:
@aero, To be fair, I didn't know where did you want me to put the title in that big space. I didn't read the "against the names" part.

Actually I still don't like the title in that space... so I made what you asked for but also moved the "Indian Ocean" label below Java to see if this magically convinces you :P

Spoiler (click to show)

Also, on the asterisks they are before the name because it's how they're used in general.

@Hood, this is not the way the circles were supposed to work! The idea is to put a few placements together, marking the 2p's with one color of circles, the 3p's with another and so on...

Example (click to show)
Hoodlum wrote:
ahh gotcha i think.. 2 being 2 player games, so there will be 2 locations for 2..,3 for 3 etc..
Hoodlum wrote:
btw i like the 2nd spoiler of title positioning. just noticed there was a 2nd spoiler there, just had to check to see where timor sea started :)
aeronautic wrote:
Asterisk before name / after name, it makes no difference to me, I am merely thinking of players who wouldn't understand why they are on the main map and the legend now makes that obvious, good job!

Also, I won't mention anymore about title as it seems to have stirred up a whole lot of trouble over nothing. It is now imbalanced with the signatures, so I will leave it to you guys to decide what is aesthetically right for it.

Thanks for darkening (making opaque) the signatures, they are not distracting to the eye, but readable now.
Hoodlum wrote:
nvm my attempt at caps placement, it was guesswork as I did it offline with no access to the tutorial on it. will have another attempt tonight following the guidelines.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I like this title placement best (with this position of Indian Ocean):
Spoiler (click to show)
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

PsymonStark wrote:
Well as both Hood and I prefer the hidden version (plus v98) I guess we'll follow with this one:

Spoiler (click to show)

I hope that it's not bugging for anyone...