map submission
  • 151 posts
  • Page 4 of 11
PsymonStark wrote:
I got the original file so I played around a bit.

Spoiler (click to show)

Went a bit more sober as I usually do. Even though Hood says he doesn't want to delete any island, I think some of them should go (the ones in Singapore, and the ones that make Flores and Timor-Leste seem connected).
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
No connection between Bali and Flores? Not sure about the title font. Those are the only things I can complain about - this is great stuff!
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

aeronautic wrote:
As an ex-sign maker there are a few things I feel are not right with fonts, styles and positions.

The title font is not fitting with the other fonts on the map.
I'd like to suggest trying the same font as the oceans / seas, but obviously bigger and bolder?
The font for the region labels in the mini map and territory labels is too condensed offering no relief for the letters. Perhaps a little spacing or a slightly less bold font?
The "Indian Ocean" label should be moved as it is in line with the "Lampung" label.

It is better without the fold lines.

I still believe the frame should be decreased, but as Hoodlum said he resized everything to suit... that's a shame!

Also the land sea border looks a lot better since Hoodlum redid it, but I was looking for something a little more like this example:
Land Sea Border (click to show)

(Edit): I also think since you thickened the outlines and territory dividers in the Legend that they are a little too thick overall, which now also makes it look a little blurry / fuzzy compared to the last version you uploaded in Post #37 ( http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=2025&page=3#post-30842 )
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
the frame for the inset looks good psymon i like it. i couldn't download the updated file with the legend that u uploaded, so
i just played around with my version a bit. I addressed most of the feedback except for the frame. i think the frame overhaul would be
the last attempt once everything else is sorted. it shouldnt be to much actually, just the text really since they don't resize well would
have to re-do that, so the frame if it has to be trimmed down will be the last edit.
I went over some color tests changes for those mentioned by Bishop and naathim. got rid of the creases and dice, and played around
with the cards to get rid of the d12 representations and made them smaller as recommended by aero. I agree about the flags bishop, i kinda
like them but it doesn't seem right not having flags for all other countries on this map. but perhaps will go with psymons legend anyways
so is just a play around for now.
I had actually had the same thought as aero about the title being the same font as the ocean text which i did. got rid of those creases.
just did an edit for the missing bali-flores connection. added a palawan-w-visaysas connection and +2 for the independent states. I thought
of KL as an idea as that's how we commonly refer to it on this side of the world too, it would certainly fit better.
when i get psymons re-edited file i'll use his legend and frame and whatever else he adds. how is the color change?
recolor (click to show)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum wrote:
Hoodlum - Jan 15, 04:28 AM
the frame for the inset looks good psymon i like it. i couldn't download the updated file with the legend that u uploaded, so
i just played around with my version a bit. I addressed most of the feedback except for the frame. i think the frame overhaul would be
the last attempt once everything else is sorted. it shouldnt be to much actually, just the text really since they don't resize well would
have to re-do that, so the frame if it has to be trimmed down will be the last edit.
I went over some color tests changes for those mentioned by Bishop and naathim. got rid of the creases and dice, and played around
with the cards to get rid of the d12 representations and made them smaller as recommended by aero. I agree about the flags bishop, i kinda
like them but it doesn't seem right not having flags for all other countries on this map. but perhaps will go with psymons legend anyways
so is just a play around for now.
I had actually had the same thought as aero about the title being the same font as the ocean text which i did. got rid of those creases.
just did an edit for the missing bali-flores connection. added a palawan-w-visaysas connection and +2 for the independent states. I thought
of KL as an idea as that's how we commonly refer to it on this side of the world too, it would certainly fit better.
when i get psymons re-edited file i'll use his legend and frame and whatever else he adds. how is the color change?
recolor (click to show)
Hoodlum wrote:
Also the land sea border looks a lot better since Hoodlum redid it, but I was looking for something a little more like this example:
Land Sea Border (click to show)
@Psymon.. i had been reducing the outline - inline - and land to 25% for the inset if that helps with what aero says.
 @aero I will see if I can find that option on Paint.net.
As for the final frame edit, would just eliminating the outer rim be sufficient, since the inner rim is working already with psymons addons with both legends?
PsymonStark wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

I redid the text in an attempt of making it match better with the whole essence of the map. Also fixed some incorrect colored islands. Tried a new title too.

Please don't mind the 1px offset of the legend. I already noticed and fixed it.
aeronautic wrote:
The font for labels is much better & the Legend is nice and clear again.
Colours are looking mostly better on the regions, except the yellow one, which is too overpowering to the map.
I prefer the title font Hoodlum used on his last update.
If you can get the above things altered and that land to sea border a little more of an outward gradient with some dissolving noise, as in my example, you'll be on the home run with this.

I will always have reservations about that map frame!

(Edit): There is a slight overlap (narrowing of edge line) on the left side of the Legend, the Timor-Leste image tile.
Also good call with KL.
Why have you changed the Philippines to Pilipinas?
Mini Map looks great in the same style as the Legend.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
yes the yellow maluku coloring, I noticed it didnt work either when the white numbers (those in the circles) when i tested them, was hard to read.
I like the Pilipinas change Psymon. That's how my dad says it (I'm half pilipino :)).
I would have to download photoshop i think to get that noise/glow thing for future stuff i try, i couldnt find any equivalent way using PND, so Psymon is going to do it.. and if psymon doesnt mind fixing the color for maluku region that would be great. with the color changes I seem to be ruining how the land coloring comes thru the outline/inline borders, making the borders less smooth
PsymonStark wrote:
I liked better the other font for the title... Someone? :P

Spoiler (click to show)

I added the signature (Hood, if you want another font tell me).
Reduced the color of Maluku to a less shiny one.
Added the glow as aero posted.
Fixed a few pixels on Ceram and somewhere else I can't remember now.
Fixed the offset in Timor-Leste (aero, I told you not to bug about that one :P)
And a few things that I can't remember either.
aeronautic wrote:
I don't disagree that the traditional Spanish word Filipinas / Pilipinas was a truncated form of The Philippine Islands (7,107 islands in the archipelago) officially known as Republika ng Pilipinas and adapted to become the Pilipinas, however the word became widely known and is now officially used as the Philippines and the natives known as Filipinos.
There is often lots of mixed history that alters spelling and pronunciation of places, countries and references to the natives of those places.
Having talked to Filipinos I know, it is current practise to use the English version (Filipino from The Philippines) of their name due to English being their 1st language, although they still pronounce it as "Pilippines" due to their accent and use of the "Ph".

(Edit): You posted an update whilst I was typing.

Sorry about the Timor-Leste tile, I forget lots of things.
It all looks much better.
I will have a better look soon.

What about the year 2015 next to signatures?

You are quick Spy Moon, do you have a day job?
I like the map very much and you have taken care of all the concerns.
There will no doubt be little things others notice or dislike, but generally Hoodlum and PsymonStark, you have created a nice looking map that looks like it might be fun to play.
Vexer wrote:
This is nice work guys. Most of my concerns were taken care of without me having to post a thing.

But... something about the paper seems off to me. It's not quite sharp enough. You could try sharpening the texture layer or adding an additional layer that is sharp.

Also, for the independent states can we add an asterisk to the label like Eld World?
Matty wrote:
Small remark: on the light green region the texture is very well visible, on the edge regions it's hardly visiblee (especially brown, but also dark green).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
naathim wrote:
The colors look marvelous! Although do you think the red's are too similar now?

Agree with Matty, the texture fades out quite a bit at the edges.

Maybe an asterisk by the territory names for the special bonus? Brunei and Timor-Leste might be a tad hard to find just based off the pictures Psymon drew. Especially once territory circles are added.

I'd still move the title down along the bottom edge, maybe over your guy's names. It's a bit empty there.

And...that's all I can even nitpick about. It looks great you guys, good job!!
PsymonStark wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

-Sharpened background
-Desharpened Kalimantan
-Added asterisks
-Corrected a border
-Corrected a few pixels

@naathim It would happen the same with the space the title is placed at now. Plus it would feel weird if the title was above the semihidden signature.