Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 30 of 40
aeronautic wrote:
BF for reference (click to show)

100% view

Should "Ooomp Loompa Land" be "Oompa Loompa Land"?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
Yes. corrected the spell mistake.
added a few more territories for gameplay/captals. count = 89.

(click to show)

100% view
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
The thing that concerns me as a game-map is the amount of connections, they can be off-putting to a game creator.
Perhaps make it so that only the close sea connections connect, but still keep connection to the left Green region from the South.
Intuitive connections are really important when playing under time pressure with a sticky graphics refresh.
I am also a fan of straight connections and curved when necessary.

Top Grey-Blue region is very similar to the Light-Blue next to it, perhaps use a Red instead of the Grey-Blue?

Colours are bright and cheerful and therefore mostly very distinctive, but that also makes them look cartoon-ish.
A lot of the colour comes from the game circles and if the map is already saturated with colour, this can give your brain a colour rush with the same resulting hangover as a sugar rush. ^^
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
yeah, looks cartoonish, but then again there are quite few cartoon lands.:) .flintstones (bedrock), simpsons (springfield), smurfs, archie (riverdale).....

font change. labels re-arranged.
connections changed. count
a region re-coloured

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
aeronautic wrote:
I'm not bothered about the vibrant colours, best to check it with the colour circles.
Labels look too big now, top of map looks like 20 years "a long sentence" ^^

It looks a lot less cluttered with fewer and straighter connections and will probably declutter more with smaller labels.
Hoodlum wrote:
smaller labels - few name changes. couple of colour changes. sea creature added

colour circles (click to show)

100% view
aeronautic wrote:
Smallville got spiked!

I don't know what it is about this map, but I really like how colourful it is. What I think would make it look awesome and inviting is a 3D type background where the sea is.

Would you mind if I tried something with it?

You'd have to send me the land, outlines & frame as a flattened transparent layer with basically the sea area as the transparent gap (all circles, labels & connections switched off), so that I can try a few backgrounds that I have in mind and work them off your outlines.
Hoodlum wrote:
lol where did that spike come from! feel free to do whatever with it. looking forward to it. sent you an email.
Cireon wrote:
This map is starting to grow on me. Lots of small regions make for gameplay similar to world expanded, but the map feels quite different too. I too am concerned about the territory names, so that would definitely need to be reworked. There are also some super-regions that may be a bit too powerful: the yellow red island in the bottom is 6 territories, 2 connections, 4 bonus. The blue green island above is 7 territories, 2 connections, 5 bonus. Everything between Springfield and Panem is also 6 territories, 2 connections, 4 bonus. I doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing if there are a lot of these around the map so everybody can take them, but it's worth making sure we're not creating really powerful regions like this.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Hoodlum wrote:
different background

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
elysium5 wrote:
This map is looking very nice.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Virtuosity98 wrote:
A very interesting map! I don't think there is another large map with such generous region bonuses - that's what intrigues me the most. I can imagine this map becoming very difficult to travel across because all of the islands will become very congested with people defending their regions, which is another interesting aspect.

A couple of pieces of feedback:
  • The central green region (Dreamlands) and the Western green region (Wonderland) need reducing to +2 bonuses in my opinion. Just four territories, two borders to defend. To put this into context, we have a number of other regions with 5 territories, two of which are borders, that only give +2. Given the generosity of the region bonuses as a whole, we could even consider giving +3 for these regions with five territories, two borders to defend.
  • I think the blue sea makes it look like the land is hovering above the sea instead of them being at the same elevation. This could just be my impression though.

Absolutely a great map, amazing work Hoodlum
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Hoodlum wrote:
I must have just jotted the values down without using the bonus calculator. I have adjusted the bonuses now according to the formula

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
Hoodlum wrote:
another play around with a sea version
original (click to show)
dabble (click to show)
100% view