The current 12 best players on the site
  • 1333 posts
  • Page 15 of 89
lifeinpixels wrote:
That makes sense, but I guess I was wondering if non top-twelve players should be allowed a chance at the dominator title or not.
elysium5 wrote:
The way I see it is the ranks are the ranks no matter if there is a showdown amongst those exact 12 but if you want bragging rights and a special honor, you have to have a best of the best amongst the best players who are willing to put it on the line.

You might make the top ranks but can you make it count head to head against the top players?
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Thorpe wrote:
The problem is that if you are the 12th place you do not get the chance...as in "THORPE"
LOL
Or anybody that is 9th-12th place.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
elysium5 wrote:
What do you mean you don't get the chance?
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Thorpe wrote:
That is right. Game is filled before I can say yes or no.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
elysium5 wrote:
The top twelve players would either agree to play the tournament or if any of the top twelve backed out the next in line would have the choice of opting in.
Thorpe wrote:
That is how it is now. Choice goes to the first 8...and then the next in line if any opt out.
elysium5 wrote:
My set up gives a chance for the top 12 (D12) to play instead of eight. It is similar to the way it is now but it would give a chance for all twelve to play and/or anyone who almost makes the top 12 if one of the D12 opts out. That way if you make the top twelve you won't be excluded if you are in the top twelve and want to play.
Thorpe wrote:
elysium5...sorry just read what you wrote earlier...delete all my post after yours...lol
Crystal wrote:
The problem with making these tournament games is that some players do not play out the tournament. The last DSRT fizzled out before the last game (I'm not even sure they played the final game) and every tournament has a few players drop out midway. 
Vexer wrote:
At first I liked tontot's idea of using the tallies to determine who gets into the final game but the problem is that some players in the top 12 haven't ever played each other before and other players, like Fendi and I, have played each other several dozen times. For example if Fendi wins one of the first games and I lose then I will probably get into the final game no matter who wins the other two games just because I am destroying her by 47 games.

So I talked all these ideas over with my brother Glanru and we came to a solution that is similar to Elysium5's. The main thing I don't like about Elysium5's solution is the 9 player second round game. I'd like to get away from the 9 player games because so many of them are determined by someone else jumping the gun too early and leaving a player mostly dead. The next player to take their turn usually wins. This is a pretty lame for a game that is supposed to be showing off the skill of the best players on the site. In fact it may be even worse in this game because players want so badly to win that they are more likely to make their move too early because they fear that will all these great players around, they won't get another chance.

Instead, why not have two 6 players games for the first round, two 5 player games for the second round and one 4 player game for the final round. The losers of the first two games play in the second two games. The winners of the first two games play the winners of the second two games in the final game. Having 6,5, and 4 player games will more thoroughly test the skills of the dominating 12. It requires more skill as you go. It also gives you two good chances to use your skill to win instead of one good chance and one lucky chance.

Now I really didn't want to do 3 rounds because of the time it takes but we can't seem to come up with a good solution for determining which first round losers get to play in the final round without having a second round.

Now if this proves to take too long then we won't do it again but I think it's worth trying. I also think we should be trying this on the Classic World map.
elysium5 wrote:
That's even better than my idea because the 2 wineers in the first round are automatically in and the second round gives a chance for two more players as 'wild cards' who lost in the first round. It ends in a four player game and everyone seems to agree that a four player is more skill and less luck.

If the issue with a tournament is organising it, I would be happy to take on that responsibility.
elysium5 wrote:
Also, the World Classic Map is probably the most reasonable way of playing the three rounds.