Ask the staff a question and you'll get an answer
  • 281 posts
  • Page 11 of 19
GriffinUcos wrote:
I asked this question because I misread the FAQs.

Attack phase......Battle Results.....Attackers can roll up to 3 dice. (My bold).

My reasoning was that there are times when even with a reasonable amount of force, I would still like to leave one of my opponents men on a territory, rather than take it. This especially usefull in FOG. Can led me to wonder if I had missed something.
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon."
Matty wrote:
Well, if you attack from a territory with only 2 troops on it, you'll attack with 1 die, not 3 (or 2). So that's why there's can there I guess.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
AlexCheckMate wrote:
How does the planning of LT games work, exactly?

I've got two examples here:

https://dominating12.com/game/945516
   03 Nov, 20:56:49   Valhalla joined the game.
  29 Oct, 09:00:05   The game was suspended automatically.
   26 Oct, 09:01:55   Hoodlum joined the game.
   09 Oct, 23:42:34   Riskk joined the game.
   29 Sep, 10:51:55   TP_knighty joined the game.
   28 Sep, 17:38:54   k0canada613 joined the game.
   28 Sep, 13:10:31   OldDogGen joined the game.
   28 Sep, 13:10:31   Game created.

https://dominating12.com/game/945519
   03 Nov, 20:10:46   Valhalla joined the game.
   26 Oct, 09:01:09   Hoodlum joined the game.
   09 Oct, 23:42:45   Riskk joined the game.
   08 Oct, 19:01:46   Clarke joined the game.
   29 Sep, 10:52:10   TP_knighty joined the game.
   28 Sep, 17:38:31   k0canada613 joined the game.
   28 Sep, 13:13:59   OldDogGen joined the game.
   28 Sep, 13:13:59   Game created.

They're created virtually on the same moment (afternoon of 28th of September), however, the first got automatically suspended, whereas the second didn't. Furthermore, although the game claims to be suspended, I can still join it (as did Valhalla).

When I go to my pending games: https://dominating12.com/gamelist/pending - I concluded that when a new game is created, it is given a timer of 29 days. Upon expiration, the game is cancelled (suspended?) => https://dominating12.com/game/952783
What causes the difference for the two games I linked up here^ And/or am I misinterpreting stuff? Why is the timer set for 29 days, yet does the first game not even get suspended till after those 29d, yet continue running? Just so many questions :<

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Hoodlum wrote:
i noticed i had a few draw mysterious draw games,..when i looked, i concluded it was just some long term pending games, which i restarted.
i believe pending games time out after 30 days.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
If a game has no activity after 30 days, it's suspended (ended or paused - for d12 they are the same thing) somewhere in the night the next day (UTC timezone). You should always be able to rejoin paused (or ended, whatever) games.

The question then remains, what is 'no activity'? Well, I have no idea. The framework we use (laravel) should automatically update a 'last updated' timer whenever something interesting happends, and we use that to see if there was no activity.
If you join a game that should change that 'last updated' column (when I tested it it worked), so it shouldn't end untill 30 days after the last player joined or left.

Apparently there's sometimes something wrong with the last updated column not being set correctly anymore :S
Maybe we did an update after Clarke joined the game but before Riskk did that broke it?

Edit: Yeah, it does not reset the 30-days counter when a player joins the game. That's kinda ok with me that way though. 30 days is long enough.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
UltrasPlot wrote:
Are there any plans for an unrated option when creating games? If not, is "we just wanted to play for fun" a valid reason to request points be voided (assuming it was made clear in the lobby before the game started)?
Matty wrote:
Yes, plans are there, mostly for 'training newbies' purposes, but 'just for fun and trying stupid tactics' is also a good reason (though if you only play unrated games then maybe that's also not what we want :S).
It's not very high on the list though.

If you want that now, you can clearly state it in the game chat that the game is without rating and stuff, and then ask an admin (or me) to reverse it after it ended.
JazzmasterDG wrote:
Hi, I used to play a lot of capitals on dominategame.com
We had 30 second timers for turns there, and it was a lot of fun. I'm noticing on this site the fastest game modes seem to be 3 minutes a turn, which to me is just slow as sin and probably creates a ton of stalemate grind fest day long games where people either team or suicide to end.
Am I missing something or is 3 minutes as quick as it gets here?
ProblemChild96 wrote:
3 mins is the fastest but there is a sametime game type that is fun and challenging and speeds up the gameplay
Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak. "Sun Tzu - The Art of War"
elysium5 wrote:
There are also settings to force the game to go faster like increasing cards:

https://dominating12.com/game/create?live=1
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
dough_boy wrote:
elysium5
There are also settings to force the game to go faster like increasing cards:

https://dominating12.com/game/create?live=1

I think he is wanting faster than 3 minutes? I don't play it, but I am guessing that while yes you do have up to 3 minutes to complete your turn, most likely don't take that much...
JazzmasterDG wrote:
Ya, I am wanting games with 30 second turns. I think any longer and a lot of strategy and gameplay gets tossed out the window.

I'm also not a fan of how the maps work here. Is there a way to make the entire country change color to represent the owner of the square as opposed just a tiny circle within the country?
dough_boy wrote:
JazzmasterDG
Ya, I am wanting games with 30 second turns. I think any longer and a lot of strategy and gameplay gets tossed out the window.

As stated you have up to 3 minutes to complete your turn, but I think they go a lot faster than that.

JazzmasterDG
I'm also not a fan of how the maps work here. Is there a way to make the entire country change color to represent the owner of the square as opposed just a tiny circle within the country?

No. The circle of the armies represents the color of the owner.

Ultimately each site will have its pros and cons. It cannot be all things to all people.
Cireon wrote:
JazzmasterDG
Interesting you'd say this. I would argue a bit of extra time makes sure this is actually a strategy game, since you have some time to think.

That being said: live games are a really big strain on our server, and the community isn't large enough to warrant extra resources to both upgrade the server, and make sure our infrastructure can deal with games at that speed. We might consider shorter turns if we can fix a lot of the slow parts and other issues, but the little programming resources we have for this site are spent on some more critical parts.

Same with changing the entire country colour. Not only would it make the map creation process much more complex (and I think the large variety of maps is seen as an advantage of this site by many people!), We would also have to do a lot of code changes, and sadly there aren't enough programmers with enough time to make it happen.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card