• 390 posts
  • Page 26 of 26
aeronautic wrote:
Sorry, I only got them done today.

Last suggestion with fixed White Rank Dominator Circle and adjusted Names:
[image]

New with Crossed Swords:
[image]
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
Thanks Aero,
3 stars: I do like,
2 knifes: i do not.
Names chosen are fine to me.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
elysium5 wrote:
I like the 3 stars but I like it for the Master General instead of the escalation to the 3rd stripe with the 2 stars.

For the Crossed Baton/Sword thing, I know it looks kind of plain there right know but I think it can be modified a bit.

In my head I was picturing a crossed baton and saber combo. One of each crossed, similar to the type seen in the Canadian, British an Indian Armies for example.

It is often accompanied with extra images, setting it apart from all of the other ranks like wreaths, crowns, stars, etc.

Also, maybe it's just me but the Circle around the star for the Dominator rank looks out of place. I don't know why. Maybe it's the 2 stripes. Why 2 and not 1 or 3? Stupid questions but I like the symmetry we have going with all the other ranks throughout but this one seems off somehow. Any way to do something with our D12 Triangle?

Sorry for all the notes and I have no design skills so shoot down whatever you need to. (Pun intended)
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
vikingo1337 wrote:
I agree with Ely in everything he wrote in the above post.

Also, I’d love to see a FM rank with two crossed batons.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
aeronautic wrote:
[image]

I added 3 Bars to Field Marshall and Dominator, I also reduced the bars on the low Generals to be inkeeping with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
I tried the Sword & Baton, but when reduced, it looked identical to the first crossed swords.
Above is a Crossed Swords with Crown version and to show you how much gets lost on reduction, the actual image is below.

[image]

[image]

I made another image with Braid and a Gold Connector Bar at the base, incorporating a Triangle.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
dough_boy wrote:
I guess my only confusion was I thought we were freeing up the 3 stars for a rank. Now it looks like we are not using it at all.
dough_boy is online.
aeronautic wrote:
This is the problem with so many things being amended / added at the same time.
3 Stars would be my choice, the same as a few other people here, however, as agreed, I posted a version for the people who would prefer Crossed Swords to 3 Stars.

What will happen eventually is, the majority will settle on the best viability and suitability of the rank insignia, names and tiering and we'll have a decision.
All new suggestions and trials (click to show)
dough_boy wrote:
I get that. I guess my question is then...do we add ANOTHER rank that uses the 3 stars?

To me it seems silly to never use 3 stars. I guess I get the crossed swords/batons, but I pointed out a long time ago it wouldn't really be able to do justice due to scaling.
dough_boy is online.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Thanks for all the time and effort you put in aeronautic!

I prefer the "simple, more natural" option in which solely stars and bars are used. With the Dominator rank slightly different due to adding a circle around the star. It's separated from the other ranks both in aesthetics as in the way how it's achieved (never spent tokens on it and basically no rating threshold ('just' win the D12 tournament (you'll likely have a rating >3000)).

I really like the swords + crown, but only as the big picture. The scaling ruins it for me (I understand the necessity).

Naming: Field Marshall & Master General; completely to my liking!

PS - anyone else seeing a kid on a swing or a lawnmower in the swords + crown in triangle insignia?
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
dough_boy
I guess my only confusion was I thought we were freeing up the 3 stars for a rank. Now it looks like we are not using it at all.
At least my idea behind using the crossed swords for the marshall is that we can use the three stars for the master general.

I don't really like the three bars. It's a bit too much.

How would a star work? Or a crown work if it's a bit further away?
With a bit bigger swords?

Far from pixel perfect, but I made a small example:
[image]
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
I like a lot two-knifes-and-a-star as provided by Matty! :thumbs:

Also...
I think the 3-star rank that we assumed in-line with the others actually it is not much so.
Therefore I'm having the feeling to keep it for the Dominator title, as it is now, and made 2 new icons only for the 2 new ranks.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
dough_boy wrote:
My only problem with 3 stars as a dominator badge is that it just looks like another badge. I was hoping we could find something that would truly stand out. Think of it like a solid gold bar with an inlaid star or something.
dough_boy is online.
vikingo1337 wrote:
This thread is all over the place...

Still looking in vain for two crossed batons for FM. Why not give it a try? The crossed swords by Matty look good, but need to be bigger or in bold. Not a fan of a star, butt (?), tentacles, or anything else supplementing the swords/batons.

The three stars are ideal for Master General or Supreme Commander.

The Dominator icon could work, but it’s not very spectacular. How about a skull instead? Make it stand out from all the other ranks in pure badassery.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
AlexCheckMate wrote:
aeronautic
This is the problem with so many things being amended / added at the same time.
3 Stars would be my choice, the same as a few other people here, however, as agreed, I posted a version for the people who would prefer Crossed Swords to 3 Stars.

What will happen eventually is, the majority will settle on the best viability and suitability of the rank insignia, names and tiering and we'll have a decision.
All new suggestions and trials (click to show)

I just thought about this thread again. Is anyone also outside of D12 in contact with aeronautic? He's not been online for quite a while; hope all is well with him (I think Covid-19 was high in the UK around that time?).

Last active: 05 Jun 2021, 10:41
Recent activity Standings Statistics Games played with you
aeronautic has 0 active or pending games
Recent activity
This user has no recent activity.

He was pretty far invested with the new designs; would be a shame to see his work fizzle out...

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein