What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 25 of 26
The_Bishop wrote:
Also, what about the Private rank ? Isn't it a bit weird ugly and unrealistic ? Tbh I never liked those big white dots.

I don't know what to suggest though, and that's why I'm asking for some ideas.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
vikingo1337 wrote:
The 'Private' rank is indeed ugly.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
aeronautic wrote:
If we are going with just one change and the addition of another general rank, we could adopt the RAF rank method to add to the stars, they double the thickness of the Bar so instead of being 2 stars and 2 thin bars, it could be 2 stars and 1 thick bar (taking the whole space of the 2 bars), being very obviously thicker.

As far as name is concerned, most people are not opposed to "Field Marshall", so in a democratic way, I say we use Field Marshall purchasable as an extra rank at x amount of points (to be decided by the mathematicians and statisticians).
Does anyone object and why?

Here are demos of Field Marshall with:
[1] 3 bars [image]
[2] 1 thick bar [image]

Dominator with:
[1] Gold Bar with D12 logo [image]
[2] Gold Bar with embossed D12 logo [image]
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Personally, for Field Marshall (5 star general) I prefer the 3 thin bars, as it signifies 2 stars & 3 bars = 5
For the Dominator I prefer the proper red logo.

I just realised that our current ranks don't have the 2 stars & 2 bars from the sprite...
https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/980/premium-ranks/post/40639#post-40639

This was the graphic that was made ready for Field Marshall, a few years ago. The lines isolating it, mean just that.... not part of the current ranks.
I rebooted the thread to call for its use and then the discussion went off..... somewhere, I forget.
https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/980/premium-ranks/post/49164#post-49164
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
vikingo1337 wrote:
Still strongly in favour of the crossed batons icon for the Field Marshall rank. Or alternatively the crossed swords icon. Neither of the above ones work for me. Sorry, aero.

As for the Dominator rank, a goldbar with the D12 icon seems apt. But on a full gold background, not a partial gold background like above. And with a centralised, horizontal triangle similar to the one on the site. Otherwise it looks like a ‘Play’ button.

If I were to choose between aero’s suggestions anyway, it would be:

Field Marshall: [1] 3 bars
Dominator: [2] Gold Bar with embossed D12 logo.

Again, I think we’re getting further and further away from the original icons we discussed, which are better in my opinion.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
elysium5 wrote:
Definitely in favor of the Field Marshall for the name and I also like either the crossed batons or crossed swords.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
aeronautic wrote:
Just to note *
All ranks are on their side, so when you see the D12 Triangle, it is the exact one from the site, shrunk and rotated and when you imagine Crossed Swords, imagine them on the epaulette and then rotated.

Has anyone read the post above?
Now I'd like to know what we are going to do with the original rank (2 stars & 2 bars) intended for Field Marshall on the sprite that is ready to go?

Personally, I'd rather change all of the General ranks, so that they go: (1 Star & 1 Bar)  (1 Star & 2 Bars)  (2 Stars & 1 Bar)  (2 Stars & 2 Bars)  (2 Stars & 3 Bars (Field Marshall))  then  (3 Stars = Supreme Commander (a singularly owned rank by the current highest scorer))
aeronautic wrote:
What about this as a suggestion:

[image]
AlexCheckMate wrote:
aeronautic
What about this as a suggestion:

[image]

Yes please! All of them! I like this even better than all the other suggestions.

I've got nothing against (crossed) swords/batons; but it's kinda a "different" style. With this suggestion, we remain with what we've got:

- (encircled) stars & bars

Very slick indeed! :)
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes great, I like them !
Note: I see like a tiny part of the circled star is missing on the white colour version, like it's cut off, isn't so?

Just wonder how high is a 'Supreme Commander', 7000 ratings ?
Matty wrote:
I would at least like to see an attempt with crossed swords/batons, just to see if it works. We can always switch out supreme general (instead of commander) and field marshall to keep things in line. And then only have (at most) 1 field marshall at the time.

Personally I think the thick barred 'field marshall' and the d12 logo just look ugly.

The encircled star is sort of nice, but I feel it can be better. What happends if the circle is red on all the ranks? Like it is on the white one?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I see what you are saying Matty, have something "General" related as the 5 Star position (highest rank) and "Field Marshall" as the overall highest player, so that all the General ranks are consistent and the name change signifies a position change.
With that logic, the General would have to be "# General", as you suggested "Supreme General", but perhaps something actually used as a military rank reference....
There is a rank that was used for 600 years in the British Army up to and including the time of D12 (2013).... "Master General"
It was usually a prefix to "of something"... e.g. "Master General of Ordnance", which outranked full General, but not Field Marshall.

Therefore, along with Matty, I suggest moving Field Marshall up to the 3 star position and personally suggest naming the 2 stars & 3 bars position "Master General"

I will post a cross sword version tomorrow for feedback, but even if it looks fantastic, I still like the consistency of the ranks as Stars & Bars.

Bishop
Note: I see like a tiny part of the circled star is missing on the white colour version, like it's cut off, isn't so?
I saw it, the anti-alias didn't take to the Garnet colour change.
I will have to put a tiny bit of overspray on it to give it more roundness at this size.

Matty
Personally I think the thick barred 'field marshall' and the d12 logo just look ugly.
I agree. The thick bar was a trial and for the Gold Bar, I was going with what others were suggesting and my dislike of them both is why I reworked the ranks again and suggested alternatives to them above.

Matty
The encircled star is sort of nice, but I feel it can be better. What happends if the circle is red on all the ranks? Like it is on the white one?
Garnet doesn't sit well with the other colours and becomes invisible on the Garnet epaulette/tab.
On the last Ranks overhaul, we changed the Bar colours to suit the different tab colours (as seen above) and that worked just fine.
elysium5 wrote:
Master General is so much better than Supreme insert anything.

Yes on the Field Marshall being the highest rank.

I am looking forward to seeing what the batons/swords might look like.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
The_Bishop wrote:
aeronautic
Matty

Garnet doesn't sit well with the other colours and becomes invisible on the Garnet epaulette/tab.
On the last Ranks overhaul, we changed the Bar colours to suit the different tab colours (as seen above) and that worked just fine.

Yes but,,, what about keeping the star yellow-goldish and make the circles the same colours of the bars ( already so for white version, the others being: red circle on black, white circle on garnet, navy-blue and olive-green ) ? Perhaps that would make the Dominator title even more distinctive from the others.

In principle I'm not a huge fan of batons and rifles or anything like that, but okay, it worth a try.
aeronautic wrote:
No time today, it will probably be tomorrow.

BTW the ring around the star for Dominator, was meant to look all metallic, but it just wouldn't work with White, so to change them all to colours like the bars might look a bit tacky, whereas the white ranks consistently oppose the other colours.