Australian Towns & Oceans Map
  • 89 posts
  • Page 6 of 6
The_Bishop wrote:
Thanks naathim.

Well, that's nice, can be used for the title, but it cannot be used for the towns, it needs to be small and readable.

There is enough room to add some boomerangs or kangaroos around the title if you want. But isn't it a bit too much expected, almost monotonous? Plus it's a map, not a postcard. Do you want also some tanned bikini girls?

Just joking, maybe something more Australiany can be done.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
naathim wrote:
LOL. I'm just teasing about that uber font. Just not particularly fond of the one in use now.

Maybe you could put in like a big desert in the middle? Or like a picture of ayers rock or something? But that's entirely up to you. I don't think a good risk map needs anything too distracting like that.
aeronautic wrote:
Another misspelling at first Glance is Carnanvon, this should be Carnarvon.
In Victoria, the closest I can find to Warmambool is Winnambool, but this is not on the Coast but in the north of the State.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
So now the misspelling are 3! Thanks Aeronautic and PsymonStark!

@Aeronautic - While you here... Wanna help me to give a final touch to this monstrous graphic job, please?

And about bonuses... After hundreds of people saying me that they are too high, well, you convinced me. Since I will follow the standard formula. But I am going to add a little +1 for holding all three Oceans. This causes many little good effects on balancing the map and creating interesting territorial strategies.

Can be evaluated the proposal by Hoodlum of having all the three Oceans connected each other, little change really. But honestly I would prefer not, this is something that remind me too much the use of ports and airports. And I reject the idea to connect Brisbane and Coffs Harbour (even if it would be more realistic) because Brisbane is a Cap and it needs to be internal and 2-ways like all the other Caps. That was preview in the design, I'm not going to change it.
PsymonStark wrote:
Did you read my point on the loooong connection line? It increases the height of the map and feels very weird, I'd even say changes the form of the map...

I can't come up with an alternative though...
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes I did read it. Answered in short really, but I don't know if you got it: when I said that I like the curved lines. Because you proposed to move the Oceans northerner and then to draw a horizontal line, isn't? But it doesn't look good in my opinion, but I don't know.

Also the height of the map, I agree is better to keep it low, but here it's 900 if I remember right. Dosn't seem too much, making a comparison with 2 small maps recently released, Anchor Bay and Brethen Coast, they only have 30 territories and they are almost squares.

Also when I play, once I realized that that connection is in place, then I scroll the map and zoom it to just see the circles and I don't mind to take out of the screen territories tags or connection lines that I am able to recall.

I agree the graphic effect of those long connections can be a bit weird. But really several things are weird in this map, like the "Ocean territories" and the Roads with the dashed line. It doesn't look like a serious map, but maybe can be cool this way, at least I hope so. Also it would have been hard to make a good game-map of Australia with standard techniques!
PsymonStark wrote:
No, not at all, I was thinking more like an Alaska-Kamchatka line between oceans. Anchor Bay is 700 and Brethren Coast is 800, this one is 920... I made a map which is 878px but I couldn't reduce it further because of the country form, but this map has a 30px extra only for that connection. Not that it's so important, just want to see the alternative.
aeronautic wrote:
Yes certainly The_Bishop, I will add some graphic work, please email me the layered master.

p.s. No wonder I couldn't find info on Warmambool, it was already picked up as a typo' Warrnambool by Psymon, sorry missed that.

I will correct these when I get the master file.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
Okay Thanks Aeronautic! I will be glad to work with you again. Though there are several problems in that file, like layers that have been merged that shouldn't. But maybe I can restore something from the old versions.

I mean textures, colors and sea outline are merged. Texts unfortunately are not modifiable anymore. Roads probably need a remake. (Long job!) But I would like to save the textures as they are because I worked a lot to obtain that and finally got satisfied with it. Someone complained about the blue region to be too similar to the ocean background, but really I couldn't find something better. Also, the added "blue" on the ocean has been done with a large size pencil, but unfortunately I missed some points of the map, as remarked by PsymonStark, and being merged probably it needs some "manual retouch".

@Aeronautic - I am trying to adjust the file as best as I can to make things simple or at least understandable and then I'll save it in Photoshop format and sand it to you. Maybe I will add some more details in the e-mail.

@Everybody - Please help with comments on what need to be changed on the graphic arrangement and what can be kept. So we can work better in the "right direction" and save time!
The_Bishop wrote:
So here the current state (click to show)
Changes from previous:
- fixed some small untextured areas on the ocean background revealed by Psymon
- reduced the bonuses to the standard formula as asked by many
- added the legend under the title to explain that oceans are part of the regions
- added a special +1 bonus for controlling all 3 oceans
- added "Aeronautic" signature as he is in charge to finish the job :)

Resume of most important expected changes:
- choose a nice font, a bit Australiany but small and readable to remake the territory tags
- remember to fix 3 important misspellings:
  - Alice Spring ---> Alice Springs
  - Carnanvon ---> Carnarvon
  - Warmambool ---> Warrnambool
- remake the mini-map better following Psymon's inputs
- someone asked for a lighter ocean background in parallel with a darker Victoria region
- someone also asked for improving the roads, mostly because of some sharp bends
(if it is only that I think I can make a precis invisible pixel job to adjust that curves,
but if it is more than that, then we have to go for a complete redo)

What I would save:
- Possibly the textures as I spent hours and hours to get that result and I would hate to throw it away :(
- I also don't dislike the colours as they are, but maybe a try with a lighter ocean background should be done

That's all. I'm sending the .psd file to aeronautic!
PsymonStark wrote:
The legend now takes too much attention in my opinion...

Sorry for the short message but I have no more time.
The_Bishop wrote:
Don't worry Psy.

@Aero - It's 110 MB can take time to be downloaded
The_Bishop wrote:
I would like to finish this one but it's a bit too hard for my graphic skill. I need a help please. If someone wants to leave critics is welcome. I agree with Psymon about the legend and I think the font size need to be reduced. Then what else?