Australian Towns & Oceans Map
  • 89 posts
  • Page 5 of 6
Cireon wrote:
I like the texture, but the colours indeed need some improvement.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
I had no time last week, I hope the next...
What is not nice about road? Personally I like the white dotted line. Maybe they should be more sharp or curving.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
The_Bishop wrote:
Okay, so... It looks like someone are asking for maps with defensible regions and juicy bonuses, making the game more funny.

It was exactly the task which this map had been designed for! :roll:

I won't bored you all with a long description as I did for the Italia map. I only say this one is even more realistic: Regions are the real Australian States, Territories are the real Australian Towns, same for the Roads. Oceans are a trick to improve the game-play, of course. Connectivity is pretty low at local level (territories bordering with only 2 or 3 others) but it is pretty high at the wide level (relatively easy to travel from one side to the opposite)... Just so good in my opinion!

So, as soon as we are done with the Italia map, I will restart (and hopefully finish!) this job that I began long time ago!!

Here the current state: (click to show)
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q700/Photo_Bishop/NewAtom24_zps547f8cf9.png

I designed the map to use the real Australian capitals as... Capitals(!) and they all are internal and have only 2 ways-out. The placements suggested are written some pages back.
Here some examples:
2 Caps
4 Caps
7 Caps (Recommended, just the real Caps)
9Caps

Note that Perth capital looks to be a little bit worse as paths. This looks real being referred by many as [i]"the most isolated city in the World"[/i](!). Low connectivity is just a real representation of Aussy in my opinion, being mostly a big desert or land, where towns are so far each other.

Game-play will be funny I guess ;)
PsymonStark wrote:
On a first glance, 'Alice Springs' :)

I hope you finally are able to finish this map!
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
Thanks Psymon... Yeah Springs! How I missed that S so long! Arg...
naathim wrote:
eee Dot to dot maps are never very popular, see: Basketball, Oregon towns. Although this looks better than either of those.

I'd argue that for a gimmick you could make all oceans connected to each other.

A little dark.

I agree switch the title and the mini map think will look better.

Maybe think about connecting coffs harbor and Brisbane? I know that'll give them 4 borders each, but seems like it's needed.

I'd reduce the brown region to a three bonus.

Not in love with the font... Isn't there something more... Australian-y?

The road graphic is a little jagged in some places. But overall I really like it.

I like the background/texture, but it's a little... too patterny? The ocean should be more random.

The Ocean territories they remind me of 'the great pacific garbage patch' :D I don't know how else you would do them though. It's not bad, just a bit different.
PsymonStark wrote:
I just have thought one thing, why Tasmania has a circular road instead of a Y, it needs less space and would look more realistic. Same for Ceduna-Port Lincoln-Port Augusta. Wait, are the roads real? Let me shut my mouth then :P
The_Bishop wrote:
Thanks Naathim I will take into account all your suggestion but.. the Ocean looks patterny, really? I practically painted it by free hand... I like it, but wanna know other thoughts about it. The roads maybe should be redone better, I agree. (P.S. I like to play Oregon Cities! :P)

At Psymon, of course I meant real roads... for real!

[image]

Not made by fancy but just taken from the map :) (click to show)
Here is the source image for references.
PsymonStark wrote:
Great, now I can check the spelling easily :)

Everything seems fine... but Warrnambool. Nice name though :P

Also, I think that Mount Isa could be written in only one line.
The_Bishop wrote:
Oh god, so now they are 2! Always read Warma' but actually is Warrna' :oooh:
I'm falling from the sky now...

Thanks Psymon, your a great spelling detector!
naathim wrote:
I apologize I must have been looking at an earlier version. The ocean looks much better in the most recent one.

The bonuses seem off though. Sydney region should be 5 like the others. Has exact same number of borders and territories at 3 and 8.

Really don't like how Coffs Harbor and Tamworth are at dead ends with access only through Sydney.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yep I know about Sydney region (call it New South Wales if you want). That's a very easy shape region, having a dead-end in Hillstone and a "double dead-end" in Sydney, plus 1-1 expansion on a small region (the Victoria region). That's why I think it should stay 1 less than the others... But we can also assign the same bonus if you want.
PsymonStark wrote:
Let me give you my opinion...

I think that bonus should be 4 for all Western, Southern, Queensland and NSW. Following the formula they are all 3.87 and 3.6. I don't understand though what you mean with 1-1 expansion, but I think the connection to Devonport adds an extra border if expanded to Victoria, giving a superregion with theoretical value 5.6. It's easier though to get NSW but you still need to kill off a lot of 3's/be lucky with your drop to get it, because the chance of people leaving is low with that connectivity.

I also think that the minimap looks better where it is now, on the lower left corner. It just feels weird having a blue blob in the middle of Australia. Also, the contour on the minimap doesn't look very good. Too purple for me. Maybe you can do the same that in World Reduced, and resize only the land...

Your ocean has three untextured zones. I mark those here.

The ocean is very dark, almost like the one in SA Districts, makes the map difficult to see, also, Victoria region is not easy to see with that blue (even though I like it very much). Maybe try to change them so the darker one is in Victoria? I like the fact that (purposely or not) the colors follow the cromatic spectrum.

On the minimap, the label font is difficult to read. Even if the numbers are centered, the labels around make them look weird. NSW in three lines seem too much, maybe New South / Wales would look better, also, Western Australia in two lines and move the 3 in Northern Territory some pixels down.

I'm not an enthusiast of the font, but I don't think it's bad either. I wonder what Naat means with Australiany font. Maybe something like this?

If it was possible to make clear that Indian and Pacific ocean are joined without that curved line, I think it would look better, and you would be able to decrease the height of the map around 30 px. That means less scrolling, and less scrolling is good. Maybe it's not a bad idea to connect the oceans. After all, they are connected by sea. I don't see a change for caps position with this idea.

I don't think I have much more to say...
The_Bishop wrote:
@Psymon - Thanks for your complete comment. As I said this will be after Italia map. So I am not pressed :) Also I am not a graphic, the job will take time to me.

The formula is just a starting point, but many factors are in place not only territories and borders. 3.6 or 3.8 translated in bonuses they are just +4, if you want a pushed style... +5 can be good, but this is not a great difference by the way. Just 5 looks more attractive to me, they are similar to Europe and NA in the Classic map, just 1 terry more (meaning 0.333 more... always +4, but still they actually are +5). But okay maybe we will speak more later about that.

I also think that the minimap looks better where it is now, probably Naathim saw an old version with the minimap in the middle.

Thanks for remarking those areas that I weirdly missed. I will fix it. I like the dark Ocean really and well, the spectrum circle was intentional to not give strong contrast, something like... green and red!

LOL :roll: Thanks for showing me an Australiany font, I haven't a clear idea of the meaning!

Minimap still requires improvements, I agree. Text, we will probably redone... because that font doesn't exist in the new Gimp2 version and I need to correct the mistakes.

I wanted the "Ocean" to be next to the the regions they belong to, since I think it's nice, also I am a fan of the curved lines, rather than straight ones.

This job still seems long... give me just one more year please!