Australian Towns & Oceans Map
  • 89 posts
  • Page 4 of 6
marcoxa wrote:
the ocean is awesome, the colors are much better now.

i don't like the circles or the ocean things though, i liked whatever you had before. i liked the old texture, just not the colors, bring it back please.
The_Bishop wrote:
Ocean circles will be as they were before (and minimap also) but for having the right effect I need to merge the layers. Since it will be the final job.

I'm adding the old texture over the new scratched style. The result will be nice. I just need to tune lightness, saturation and opacity of each layers for getting the best fit.

Work in progress... New version is coming soon!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
The_Bishop is online.
Thorpe wrote:
Bishop try to keep as many layers that are not merged on your map so it will be easier if you need to do a update on the map.
Ask Vexer about this.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
Everything is looking better.

I think the roads should be redone for the final version.

I think the text needs a little bit of a black outline. One simple way to do this is to duplicate the text layer, then invert the color. Put the black layer underneath the white layer and use a slight Gaussian blur on the black layer. Sharpen if necessary.

I don't like how the mini map looked in the first version. It would look much better and fit the site's style better if the title was on the land and the mini map in the ocean with a border around it.

The game-play looks good. THANK YOU. I'm so glad I don't need to help with that.

I'll continue to let the rest of the site help you get the map looking even better while I work on getting other maps finished but I just wanted to mention the part about the mini map before you take the time to redo it.
The_Bishop wrote:
Glad to receive that message from you Vexer!

I worked a lot with the textures but I don't have new images to show. On the land I tried to add the old texture over the new. The effect is nice as i said but it doesn't match with the ocean style. I tried to put it over the whole map and the matching is better but the ocean will be absolutly ruined. I do not want to ruin the ocean that is a great result for me. Since I'm planning to keep the whole style of my last posted image and just make some refining changes on it.

Once the textures will be finished I will have to make minimap, oceans circles blurred and other details like texts, outlines and roads... (Not very easy to remake the roads!)
Since the work still takes long but I am being very satisfied... and also a bit surprised of me!

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q700/Photo_Bishop/NewAtom7_zpsf5b325a5.jpg
The_Bishop is online.
Matty wrote:
I still dont really like your land texture, its just a very simple plain stripe pattern. Makes me thing of cotton.

The nice thing about your ocean is that it looks complicated, nature usually doenst have symmetric-looking patterns in landscapes.

I know that your ocean also has stripes, but thats actually the part I dont really like about it :)

So colours are very plain, there are little light/dark thingies, or slight colour variations.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Ok, I'm reducing the stripe effect and adding some more natural. I think I've found something good... Work in progress!
The_Bishop is online.
Vexer wrote:
That is much better but I would reduce the diagonal lines texture a bit.

Can you make the purple a little more purple so it doesn't look grey?

The map won't look good until the roads look good. Maybe try not having the white dashed lines and make the road more grey like on the oregon cities map.
marcoxa wrote:
love the land texture, but not sold on the water yet. maybe make it brighter? i am not sure what it needs to be honest just not right yet.
lifeinpixels wrote:
Yeah, I almost always prefer a light blue or tan ocean over a dark one. I dunno, it just feels more like a classic, old map.
Matty wrote:
On a first glance I completely miss the bottom most ocean coloured region.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Crystal wrote:
I would make the ocean lighter... more the shade of melbourne, but then you'd have to change melbourne...
The_Bishop wrote:
just changed the color of purple region and reduced the line effect
http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Photo_Bishop/media/NewAtom17_zps57904c03.jpg.html

And then an idea of the completed job
http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Photo_Bishop/media/NewAtom19_zps1ee3f3b6.jpg.html

I will the ligther ocean too.
The_Bishop is online.