Australian Towns & Oceans Map
  • 89 posts
  • Page 1 of 6
The_Bishop wrote:
I am working on it: (I hope you like my idea)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2j62rgx&s=6

That's just a project and still needs a lot of work.
Suggestions obviously are welcome.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
Wait, you can conqueror an ocean?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Well, of course you can, it's like a normal territory.
Leedog wrote:
I know map is in beginning stages, but has potential!! =)
Cireon wrote:
I think this map is quite hard to get right for gameplay. Right now it seems to me that there are limited paths from some territories to other territories. Most territories only have two neighbours, which makes it very easy to defend certain spots and thus blocking the way for other players. I am not sure if this involves more fun gameplay or makes it just very hard and frustrating.

I also think the style needs a lot of work to get the quality of the map to the quality that is expected on this site.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Pntbttr wrote:
cool we needed a Australia map!

your outline is really pixelated...and I don't like that purple outline around the land...
be a little more creative with the connections over the water...
I don't like the weird colored circles you used for the ocean territories...
I don't like your font...
you need texture on the ocean and land
play with the color scheme a bit
region bonuses should be on mini map
Holt wrote:
I think The_Bishop may need a lot of work on this map and may need help with it as well. Bishop if your planning on making a map for the first time it is always good to have an experienced partner around to help you out. I think you will need to find someone that can train you on how to make maps that meet our standards on this site. I like your idea but at it's current state it isn't even close to being a map considered for the site. Other than the overall outline of Australia everything else will have to be changed.
Thorpe wrote:
I think I know what he is trying to do with this map. I really think he has a great start.
As Noxon says he likes maps that look like maps, and Holt this is close to what a General would get.
Some tweaking and he will have a completely different looking map, but up to the standards or above them.

Great start my friend..I have offered my help...and F.Y.I. this is a "Gimp2" map.

Holt everything else needs added too not started over..if that is what you meant by "Other than the overall outline of Australia everything else will have to be changed."
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes, it's just a proof... made with Gimp2. Colors, lines and textes are absolutly provisional. I wanted to know if you like the idea, then I can start with the work.

Terries are not so much connected, I know, specially in the West side... Those are the roads of Australia. In the East side I drew away some road, for making regions easier to defend. Pntbttr, you have given me a good idea.

I'm planning modifications, then I will post again.
Vexer wrote:
my main concern is with the ocean territories. they are really weird.

connectivity is also an issue, like Cireon said. I'm in agreement with thorpe that much of the style is fine, like the colors, just need more added to it and like pntbttr said, better lines.

The font looks great large but the smaller labels are too hard to read.

If thorpe thinks he knows what The_Bishop is trying to do with the map then maybe they should work together on it?
The_Bishop wrote:
I've modified completly the style and added 2 lines on the Oceans, since they get important connections on the map.

http://oi46.tinypic.com/29gkjd0.jpg

Connectivity it is a little low but it really is not lower than many others map on the site. It seems so because the connection line style rather than boundering areas.

I think oceans are a little weird, like fleets, home plate and storage are. Weird ideas often are attractive. I hope so.

I think gameplay is nice for deathmatch and capitals both. I have planned to use the seven capitals of Australia as capitals in the game.
Pntbttr wrote:
WOW! This is a huge improvement.

your ocean texture is a little too repetitive...
I like how you did your mini map...
Southern Ocean looks like the bottom got cut off...
Love the roads!
do some shading...
try redoing the textures...
you need some black glow behind your text so it stands out more...

I love the map. Can't wait to play on it.
The_Bishop wrote:
Oh nice i'm really happy you like it, Pnt!
I will look into your advices.

(Sorry, I had modified my message after you sent yours...)
Leedog wrote:
Bishop, looks really good... I like the ocean background (is unique). Though in my opinion, would like to see the mini-map away from the territories and placed in ocean.

Nice work!! =)
Cireon wrote:
I agree with leedog on the minimap. It should be put in the bottom right corner, it is just too distracting in the middle of the map. Maybe you could place the title there though.

Also you should try and change the sea colour. I am not sure if the dark blue sea would work and you should try a larger texture (ie not as repetitive).

The region bonuses seem to be off too. The brown area has a +4 bonus, while only having three border countries. This should be reduced to +3 and maybe even +2. Same holds for the green area. The dark blue area however seems like a proper +4 region.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card