Australian Towns & Oceans Map
  • 89 posts
  • Page 2 of 6
The_Bishop wrote:
I show you what I am doing:
http://oi47.tinypic.com/2ro0v9h.jpg
Still need some works. More or less I would like these colors.

Forgot to say:
- size is 920*1024 (I hope it is allowed, it's hard to reduce it);
- 42 territories like the classic world map: 39 towns and 3 oceans;
- the 7 regiones are the Australian actual states, with total amount of bonuses about 20 to 22 (there's an issue);
- local connectivity is pretty low, wide connectivity is pretty good I guess;
- every fork road allows the connection in every direction, it looks clear to me (for example Charleville and Townsville are connected);
- every capital has 2 paths against opponents and they all are inside the region. Darwin is an oddball (can be considered as the capital is Katherine) but it works the same I think;

Minimap can be moved in the corner, but the place in the center is a little larger and I would love to profit it for putting the names of the regiones. I don't think it will be distracting, rather, you won't need to scroll the map for seeing the bonuses while you are watching a game action. I think that's good.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
The_Bishop wrote:
@Cireon and all

I appreciate who speaks about gameplay here and not just graphics. In some sense I agree with you. +4 is a little too high for Western Australia region. Because its low connectivity you can easly conquer and defend the 5 territories between Port Hedland and Esperance and then, when it is the good moment, complete the work and protect the 3 frontiers. But I make you notice the 3 frontiers are detached and 1 of these is a double frontier in which the attack can come from 2 different sides.

Not so the green area. Connectivity is high in the Queensland and there is not an easy start for conquering it. It also has 3 frontiers but 2 of them are adjacent. Well, I think Green and Brown are pretty equal.

The orange area (it was yellow first) is called New South Wales. Here the frontier are very similar to the green ones. But the start is easier then Western Australia. You can easly get a 6-territories area with only 2 borders: Canberra e Dubbo and then... the work is almost completed. I had not notice that too. Here really I need to reduce the bonus. +2 is too low for 8 territories I think, +3 can be good in my opinion.

About the other two 8-territories regions, I would keep +4 for making the difference from the easiest one.
The_Bishop wrote:
Here the capitals:

2p....................................3p....................................4p      

Perth............................Adelaide.........................Perth
Brisbane......................Hobart............................Darwin
.......................................Sydney...........................Brisbane
.................................................................................Adelaide

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5p....................................6p.....................................7p

Adelaide........................Perth..................................All
Hobart.............................Darwin
Sydney.............................Brisbane
Brisbane.......................Sydney.................................8p or 9p
Perth...............................Melbourne
..........................................Adelaide..........................Not allowed

2 and 4 players look normal. The others look weird because they are centered on the south-east area. It is the real center of the map, half of the terries are in that little area. If you really don't like that I have alternative placements for 3 and 5 players which look more normal.
Holt wrote:
I think you are making good progress Bishop but I do believe this map still has some work to do before we start picking out the Capitals. Im sure as soon as Vexer and the other Cartographers find time you will find out more on what you need to update.
-NoXoN- wrote:
Maybe Pntbttr will find time to help you with this map, he have many different textures to make nice ocean.
The_Bishop wrote:
Just a little tweaking more
http://oi47.tinypic.com/m82o0k.jpg

I thought Thorpe wanted to help me, by the way anybody is welcome.
When it will be the time... Thank you.
Thorpe wrote:
The ocean is too "Hexed" looking...and yes I will help but will not till asked.  LOL

Plus Pntbttr is good with different textures. 

I wish we could have a vote or rank the map makers on what they are good at, cause I know I am not sure what I do best. That way we could help to make the best maps for this site.

We do not want ugly maps...right NoXon?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
-NoXoN- wrote:
Yes Thorpe well said and i like your idea about ranking map makers but there are not many. Thope you just said it indirect that this map does not meet standards of D12 so Bishop you have to do more work and believe me you will learn more when you trie harder and in the end you will be satisfied.

The_Bishop wrote:
Sorry, I didn't read your message Thorpe. I need your help and I will honored to receive it. I have just tried to make the idea of what I want to do, but I can't do this work by myself. Maps of D12 are extraordinary better than every other site. Wanna know my favourites? Africa 1890, China, Falklands, Great Britain and Tor. Congratulations to every map makers!
Thorpe wrote:
bishop you need to send me the map and your thoughts on what you want to do. Give me your email in a message.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Matty wrote:
I like the idea of this map; touring australia.
But the graphics need improvement.

The textures look bad. All the regions have straight lines.
If you see the right of the blue square its pixelated.

Roads are quite nice though, and so is the placing of the minimap.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
Bishop I did not get the map...mmm
The_Bishop wrote:
Wanna go on with this work! I will try to make new textures.