Pntbttr & Leedog
  • 122 posts
  • Page 8 of 9
Leedog wrote:
This is laughable! Every name on the map has been taken from Google Maps, it seems Robinette would have preferred that I chosen different names that have personal meaning the her.

Keep in mind, this is map to play Risk, not find your way around the city if you're lost.

San Jose should be a little more Southeast, but it was close enough and wanted the city on map... why? Because a lot of people are familiar with the city of San Jose... the name you wanted to change it to, not so much.

As for the spelling errors. Yes, should be changed and it's no big deal... the people of 'Fremont' will survive.

The territory circle loosely represents the location of city or town within that territory. It's not an exact science.

Any other town you think shouldn't be there, let me know, I'll find it and show you it belongs... I didn't make up these names, they're there!!

If I chose one and you would have preferred the other... too bad, make you're own map and include in it that one!

Leedog wrote:
Also, I can find the outline showing every lake and river... those were not made-up!
-NoXoN- wrote:
this is map to play Risk, not find your way around the city if you're lost.

Haha very true and very funny =)

Many territories on this map and if there are some mistakes is not big problem. I tried to find some maps of SF to see if Batmanette is right and Yes He/She is right about some territories name

Example ALAMEDA is name of island.

Sometimes you can make mistake on google maps if you dont zoom very deep to see exactly which zone use that name.

Like you said Leedog this map is to play risk and we know those maps are not strictly with names example in World map there are many countries under Ukraine name and im sure we can find better name for that part but...
Robinette wrote:
Robinette - Dec 25, 08:49 PM
I am happy to give more input, or... you can ask me to stay away if you'd rather, lol...

Merry Christmas...

-Robinette

So it sounds like you are choosing the latter then...

Sorry to have upset you Leedog. In playing this game I mentioned in game chat that there were errors, and I was encouraged to come here and list them. I did not know that this would be so unwelcome. It's a cool map as it is, and if you don't want to change anything then fine, but that should not give you license to be so rude.

For the record, I was in no way trying to turn this into a Thomas Guide, I was simply trying to help make it align a bit better. Also, some of the suggested name changes are because that is how people in the San Francisco Bay Area actually refer to those areas.

Lastly, I will add that I live and work in this area, and I can tell you unequivocally that there is no river in the San Ramon Valley that feeds into the Bay. "Laughable" you say, well who am I to dispute your Google Maps knowledge of this area, so by all means, leave it wrong and live in denial.
Vexer wrote:
We do appreciate your input robinette. I wish I had a Thomas guide for San Fransisco, that would make this easier. Although I often find Thomas guides to be in error as well (I am a UPS driver).

We will have to find maps and post links as evidence. I will also spend some time on this but don't be surprised if it takes a couple months to come to any sort of agreement.
Thorpe wrote:
To all that do give inputs...Do not take offense to our comments to yours...we map makers just get a little mad when we try so hard and then find out later that we did it wrong.

The standards of our maps are really high and would love players to comment before we release them for play...cause they are a lot harder to change later.

Robinette all map makers want and need comments to the maps and I know you were not online when this map started so no-one can expect you to have commented on this map before then.

Please look at the other maps that are in the making and make comments...plus you can always make comments on my maps!

LOL

Just remember this is all just for fun Leedog and I told you when you first started making maps that you will have to do a lot of changes...adds to the fun ...right? 
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Leedog wrote:
The outline of map was taken from this:

http://bayarearesource.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/san-francisco-bay-area-map.jpg

It's a perfect match to what I have. As you can see, the rivers (streams/creeks) are there on map. Sure, maybe the river is thin in some areas, possibly a creek. But then I ask... so what! It's there!

It appears the "creek" is the San Leandro Creek.
http://museumca.org/creeks/wb-A1-RescEast.html

As for the names of territories, those were chosen by using Google maps. Every name on the Risk map has a real city in/close to the territory based on location from the Google map.

If a territory has 2 (maybe 3 or 4) names to chose from... then it's up to the mapmaker to make that decision based on what name he'she wants to use. That doesn't mean that all 2,3, or 4 names aren't there... just only 1 can be used.

Alameda is the name of the Island, but also the name of the town/city. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alameda,_California

The territory circle locations on Risk map tried to represent location of city/town within that territory.

If there is a map out there that would allow for 100% accuracy while allowing for great gameplay... I would like to see it.
Leedog wrote:
@Thorpe, already had to sacrifice accuracy for gameplay in Asia map... wasn't ready to do it again. Spent many hours trying to get SF map as accurate as possible.

-Nonxon's- point should be stated again, both the World Expanded Map and USA Map are not 100% accurate. Proving the point that sometimes accuracy is sacrificed a little for gameplay.
Robinette wrote:
ahhhh... i started thinking that waterway might be Lake Chabot and the San Leandro Reservoir, which includes the little San Leandro Creek. It's just much closer to the Bay than where you have it located. Not a big deal, but there is a large mountain range between it, and the San Ramon Valley. It's sort of our own little Continental Divide. Everything West of the range flows towards the bay, and everything East of that ridge flows East and South, and never do the two meet.

I totally get that you don't want to change the gameplay, and from the get-go most of my suggestions would maintain that while trying to give names that were more accurate to their locations.

And now that I understand that waterway, I could make some proper name recommendations that would keep the game play and boundaries the same, while being more accurate with the names... if you care to change some names. If not, that's fine too.

But I must say, the way it is now feels a lot like placing Chicago in Canada, and putting the Mississippi where the Inter Coastal Waterway is, lol... *wink*
Thorpe wrote:
Too Funny Robinette!

@Leedog...I know what you are saying and I get you my man!

Enough said ..I am done and I like look of this map
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
This map has been updated by Psymon Stark with new, more accurate borders and territory names. The gameplay had to remain the same so there are limits to it's accuracy. But, after all it is a risk map and not a real map so certain allowances must be made. The line style was also changed to get rid of the strange style that was both blurry and jagged at the same time. The style may remind some of a circuit board, which fits in with San Francisco being silicon valley.

Old Version:
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9269/sanfrancisco10.jpg

Current Version:
http://dominating12.com/image/map/38.large.jpg
The_Bishop wrote:
I had missed all the last part of the thread and the recent update.
Thanks Psymon for your accurate job!

The problem of making maps that are not accurate is when they are met by someone from that country or city and he feels like the map is wrong and doesn't represent correctly the country where he lives.

I think there was something wrong on Leedog's approach. The map he shown as prove of rivers accuracy is a very small size and rivers are in many parts covered by roads and town names.

Also I guess he firstly drew the territories and then tried to give them the names. But should be better to do things in parallel, trying to match a good game-play with a good geographical representation of the area.

Then, of course, they are game maps, some little cheats it can stay, but it's better if they are the fewest possible!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I think the new version looks much better. One of the reasons I didn't like to play on this map so much was because I personally preferred the graphics of other maps, so this is an improvement. I don't mind the straight line approach for territory outlines, I think it looks perfectly fine.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Matty wrote:
The map has completely changed - it used to have a little bit a medieval look - now it's very modern, almost futuristic.

I'm inclined to say I dislike the change, but it could be because it is such a change. It certainly looks good the way it's now, and has a more original style compared to so much other maps, so the job is a really good one. I think I like it.

The only thing I wonder now is if the bridges still fit the feel of the map.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
Yes, the bridges could be better. There aren't many skilled enough to improve them though. I certainly can't.