Pntbttr & Leedog
  • 122 posts
  • Page 2 of 9
Vexer wrote:
I looked up the exact paint color of the golden gate bridge and by exact I mean exact. The RGB values are 240, 74, 0. Which is orange. And the color you chose is red. Try the correct color. It still may not look right though because most of us are familiar with the bridge from photos and it looks different depending on the where the sun and clouds are. So start with that color and if it doesn't look red enough or dark enough then adjust it.

The bridges really are that long in real life. but not that wide. Pntbttr, your bridges have a border 2 pixels thick and the inner color is 5-6 pixels thick. I would like to see what it looks like if the border was 1 pixel and the inner color was 3-4 pixels. Just redo one bridge for now so we can see if it's an improvement or not. Unless you already tried that and know that you can't get it to look right unless you make it thicker.

I would also like to see how the bridges look with grey instead of the two colors.

Matty is right about the ocean. there isn't enough of a difference between it and the land. Try adjust the color so that it is closer to a cyan color RGB 0-255-255. But not cyan, that would be too bright, but something in between cyan and what you have now. try upping the brightness and the saturation.
Pntbttr wrote:
...sorry guys I've been out of town...now I'm sick...It might be a bit before the next update...It takes a lot of time to do the bridges...
Pntbttr wrote:
...OK...there are no comments on how the map looks...other than the bridges...The bridges are the hardest to get right and take a long time to change, soooo how about we make sure the map looks perfect before I change the bridges...

about the regular bridges...I play with it and try and make it look better...I'll look at all your comments and see what I can come up with...

about the golden gate bridge...I am unsure if I should change the color some people want it change and others don't (personally I don't think it should change)...the bridge is pretty accurate in where it is and how long it is (so are all the other bridges)...I think that most people think of the golden gate bridge as a somewhat bright red, and it might be because of the lighting but if most people think of it as red than I think the bridge should be red because then I will get less complaints about color...I will darken it or what ever but I want an exact color that you want it (in other words find the color and give me the hex number)...

@Vexer...I will try the color and see how people like it but I don't like the idea...

Sorry guys...I hate doing the bridges...it takes forever and it is really hard to come up with something that actually looks like a bridge (instead of a taco...or a blurry line)...I'll try to get it done sometime soon...
Thorpe wrote:
I feel for you man..but never think the effort is a waste!
How long did it take me to come up with a taco bridge that looks right?
On a side note...I now have no more hair left all because of the bridges!

Always ready to try something different on a map no matter how hard it might be.

Try some mountains next...hehehe
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Matty wrote:
Well, the colour of the sea and the colour of the land (especially the blue ones) are quite alike. Maybe give the land colours some more colour in them :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
there haven't been comments on how the rest of the map looks cause it looks fine. Our only concerns are the bridges and the background.

Pntbttr, i gave you the actual RGB values of the actual paint used to paint the bridge and it is orange. I agree that under a lot of lighting conditions the bridges looks reddish but it never looks 100% red. The current color is pure red. that is wrong and must change. Make it a reddish orange. You shouldn't have to redraw the bridge. Just adjust the hue/saturation of that layer until it looks reddish orange.

Also, send me the file and I'll play around with the background color for you.
Vexer wrote:
Leedog, can you come up with some proper region names for these regions? Currently in the system they are called by their color, which is not preferred.
Pntbttr wrote:
I've already asked him if he could do that...he is working on it...

Once I have enough time to sit down and finish the locations and bridges I will send you the bride layers but I would prefer if I could send you it after the update...
Leedog wrote:
Just sent Butters a couple of sets of region names that he can choose from.
Votazap wrote:
I like the bridges they are well done! Great colors , okay backround, the main thing I don't like is the red Bridge it's too bright
Pntbttr wrote:
Actually I am leaving a little later today...still here for a little longer...
Pntbttr wrote:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/338/sanfrancisco5jpeg.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/266/sanfrancisco5jpeggrey.jpg/

the bridges look weird if they are that thin and I can't get the black lines to be one pixel thick without making it jagged...I have the grey and the colored versions...I changed the color of the ocean and I merged the bridge colors a little more...is the orange too bright?

sorry it took so long...I hate doing bridges...I needed a little motivation...I hope this is good...
Matty wrote:
I like the grey better than the coloured versions. However, the grey is sticking out too far.
Its good to have a transition from the territory colour to the grey of the bridges, but I think it should be done on the bridges itself, and not on the land.

The orange is very orange, but I dont know anything of the golden gate bridge, so ill leave that to others ;)

I like your new ocean colour. It doesnt have so much problems with the top blue region anymore. However, it does have a problem with the green region in the bottom of the bay, and also a little bit with the lighter blue region to the right

And four other things:
- The minimap is not updated
- The colour of title of the map looks weird
- Most important: all the lines (and thus the entire map) look blurry
- The yellow line around the minimap looks a bit weird to me
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria