This early D12 map has been requested for a remake
  • 212 posts
  • Page 7 of 15
The_Bishop wrote:
I like how Vexer adjusts the colours.

I like grouped colours, they represent the four traditional nations of the area, nowadays divided in 2 countries.

I'd like to make a bit more of contrast swapping South and North Ireland colours and the same for South and North England colours.

for reference (click to show)
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
In the first example (12a), I used Vexers colours and made them brighter as I did before when the map was worked on by Vexer & Fendi.
GB12a (click to show)
The next (12b), I used Matty's suggestion.
GB12b (click to show)
The next (12c), I moved the colours around a lot to see if anything suits better.
GB12c (click to show)
In all examples I put the Title back as it was and moved it up and right, changed the Sea Labels to all capital letters and also moved the signatures down to take up some of the empty space in the bottom left.
In 12b I tried an effect on the Atlantic Ocean label and changed the sea labels colour.
In 12c I just changed the sea labels colour.

Looking at example 12c now with my head outside Photoshop, I think Wales would have suited Turquoise and West Country would have suited Magenta (a swap) better. I'll make a 12d to show this.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
GB12d (click to show)
All colours, tones & effects are exactly the same in each apart from a new colour added in 12c & 12d.
However, you will notice the map takes on a different vibrancy depending on where colours are located and which colours are next to each other.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Vexer wrote:
If this wasn't such an important map I would be tearing my hair out by now and giving up.

Honestly I don't think any of the schemes we've come up with are quite right.

We had this problem the first time around which is why two of the colors were reused.

I'm gonna keep trying until it's right.
Hoodlum wrote:
I think ireland colours are right.

ireland green
north ireland orange  (ireland tricolours = green white and orange)

Other representative colours I know from sport (rugby)

scotland blue
wales red

england use white or red, (UK's tri colours could be used for North South and West) red (pink) white (cream) blue

In maps of the 19th and 20th centuries,
the territories of the British Empire were usually coloured red or pink. Historically, the British Armed Forces fought in red
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
naathim wrote:
Scotland dark blue. N. England white. S. England Red. Cornwall light blue (not teal!).

Not sure about Wales though.

I'd still like to see a white N. Ireland and a light Green West Country. All the rest either from 11 or 12A I think would be good.

Vexer wrote:
Ok, here's tonight's attempt:

GB13-v (click to show)
naathim wrote:
I think I like 12d the best so far. It's bright, but not overly bright the colors are excellent. Ireland is perfect I feel on that one.

But West country and Wales, that pink and teal, don't fit.

And while I think that Scotland and S. England should be flipped as the colors would be more appropriate (Scotland blue, S. England Red), it's good as it is.

Vexer's I think is maybe a little too dark? And the brown... just doesn't fit, even though it's a nice shade. I like how he got the thistle purple just right for Scotland though! But the dark purple for West country just doesn't mesh well with the yellow and the red both so close?

Dark Green for West country maybe? And a light grey/blue for Wales? With the yellow in N. Ireland.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Simply because I dislike the pink and turquoise used in 12c and 12d, I prefer Vexer's latest version. However this is getting really confusing with everyone's opinions being shouted everywhere.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

aeronautic wrote:
It normally transpires that everyone says "Yes that's it" when you find the winning combination and tone.

I have sent the files to Vexer so expect some nice colours soon. I won't do anything else on the map whilst he has them, to save rework. I will continue when he has made the next update and sent them back.
Matty wrote:
Aaaargh

Up to now, I like Vexers last suggestion best, but I really want to just try swapping colours myself.
I just dont have photoshop (nor know how it works).
Is it possible to export the map as a PDN (Paint Dot Net) file and email me?

I really don't like the cyan-green-ish colour of 12c and 12d.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I think the best thing to do is, list what we think looks the best and should be eliminated from the chaos.

I see remarks that in 12c and 12d, "Ireland is perfect". If other agree with this, it will help Vexer with his new colour scheme and help me if no better solution is found yet?
PsymonStark wrote:
Personally I don't agree with the perfection of Ireland. In my opinion it was way more perfect the (southern part of) GB in GB6.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.