This early D12 map has been requested for a remake
  • 212 posts
  • Page 5 of 15
aeronautic wrote:
I swapped orange & blue back with each other to first meet Matty's original colour change request.
GB9 Half Size (click to show)
GB9 (click to show)
Territories & Borders (click to show)
You guys will have to compromise on the names of Ireland soon, because the proposals are all different. Please remember, popular or not, it is bad to have cities referenced in one country and counties/districts/provinces in the rest and I have pointed out (a) the scale of the map being too large for cities, (b) there are more than one major city in a lot of the territories and that would really upset a lot of people.
Example of multiple cities (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
HammerTime wrote:
New look is awesome aeron...prefer the new hills( Mountains) as well,i think some of those would look good here an there on the map in areas that have them,for example the highlands to depict its hilly terrain,but not used in a way to change map connections,would give the map a little more character as well...
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I like the colour arrangements as The_Bishop has suggested above.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

PsymonStark wrote:
The borders are incontestable. Especially good call on the Powys expension to remove borders. About labels in Ireland I'm fine with the current ones. The only thing I'd change though is Meath->Dublin, both are counties but Dublin is much more recognisable. And I'd move the Munster label right, the Connaught label a couple of px right, and the Cavan and Meath labels a bit south (if Dublin is chosen, set the label on the right side of the territory and the circle to the left). And maybe Leinster would see its circle better below the label, as now overlaps the two borders and feel a bit weird.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Bishop's suggestion was before I put the light blue and orange back where they were so that Green & Red could stay swapped as Matty first suggested.

To swap these back now would be to put them exactly as they were in GB6 before all the suggestions to move them around.

@Psymon, thanks for some well considered feedback about borders and names. I will use your suggestions and the advisers can remark from there.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
maafi wrote:
I love the look of the map. My only (small) points are:
1. Why is Surrey there? Surely that's London or greater London, and 2. The union flag doesn't look quite right in that position. Seeing as the name of the map refers more to the geography rather than the nation states perhaps it would be better to drop the union flag altogether and reduce the RoI flag to the same size as the others.
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk
Vexer wrote:
I think the blue next to the green in ireland looks horrible.

I think the colors in GB8 were fine except you could try turning the orange toward a brown.
Cireon wrote:
I think with these colours the balance is a bit gone. Now the cold colours are all on the left and the warmer colours on the right.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Cireon is right.

Orange doesn't fit with green, but the blue next to green doesn't fit that well either.
I can't really think of a colour to put in place of the light blue, but I'd really want to get rid of it. And if possible, a warm colour that looks nice next to an overwhelming green...

Can't you just cut out the ireland part, place it 8 times next to eachother and just vary the colour of N Ireland?
Just to see what colours look well next to green...
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
@maafi, some earlier maps had no Union Flag and a normal sized ROI flag as you suggested, but were suggested to be put on in this way. I can easily take them back the way they were.
Does anyone else want this?
Surrey is merged with Greater London and as we are going for mainly County/District names, this was chosen over London.

@Vexer, Cireon & Matty, I will try putting the colours back to GB8 and changing the orange to more of a brown as Vexer suggested. This should eliminate the cold and warm colour separation and solve the (orange / blue next to green) issues.

Matty wrote:
I like the flags as they are right now, although one can always try new things and revert back later if it turns out to be less appealing.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
maafi wrote:
Being a Surrey boy, I'm obviously happy to see my county of birth expanded to encompass London, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire et al. ;)

I do prefer it without the union flag but I bow to those with more experience.
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk
The_Bishop wrote:
I don't dislike the British flag in the background. The map also include Ireland but the main nation here is the United Kingdom, since it can stay for me, plus it's almost invisible.

As for the colors, my suggestion (post 61) has been rejected, but everything is good for me. I can't wait to play this map with the new graphic arrangement!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
-NoXoN- wrote:
Very nice looking map. I like colors and land texture. Maybe water texture can be better also try to be more artistic with title font.