This early D12 map has been requested for a remake
  • 212 posts
  • Page 8 of 15
aeronautic wrote:
Well at least that is something to consider. (Psymon prefers S.Ireland as red)
GB6 for reference (click to show)
The_Bishop prefers all the grouped colours of 12a.
Grouped colours (12a) (click to show)
Hoodlum prefers S.Ireland as it is in all 4 of the new examples and suggests:
Hoods colour suggestions (click to show)
naathim prefers 12d and suggests:
naathim new colour suggestions (click to show)
naathim's previous colour suggestions were:
naathim colour suggestions (click to show)
emjaydee prefers 12c & 12d
V98 prefers 13v
13v (click to show)
Matty likes 13v, but wants more choice.

If everyone stated what colours they liked and where, we could make a list and try to match them all up.
GB12a (click to show)
GB12b (click to show)
GB12c (click to show)
GB12d (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
There is a fair bit of feedback for Vexer to consider above, however, it is mostly conflicting preference & suggestion and I'm very sure he knows that we have to find another way that all advisers are at least 75% happy with in it's entirety.

Personally I think if Vexer adds his colour scheme of 13v to the layers that were set up with a mix of Vexer, Fendi & aeronautic's layer effects. I prefer Vexer's colours and think they would look right once shown with the vibrancy and colour differential that the layer effects give them.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
No, I don't prefer S. Ireland red, I just like very much the rest colours in Great Britain (the ones in Ireland are not my taste at all, but I think that red could go to N. Ireland, as it is a small region and won't be as aggressive).
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
It seems like my taste is different from most since I call me out from color calls.

Going back to the previous subject, I think if Ireland has got a territory named "Dublin" then Great Britain should have one called "London".
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
Aaaah! Bishop, we only allowed Dublin because it is a county. LOL please don't dig up the labels for a while. ;)
@Psymon
PsymonStark
Personally I don't agree with the perfection of Ireland. In my opinion it was way more perfect the (southern part of) GB in GB6.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I dislike the pink and turquoise colours used in versions 12c and 12d. Maybe a white/cream or silver/grey region could be introduced (on a smaller region). Look at Malaysia here...
East Indies (click to show)
...and Australia here
World Expanded (click to show)
Something similar to one of those might be better than the pink or turquoise. I don't know really, it's only a suggestion.
I am fairly concordant with naathim's suggestions.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

-NoXoN- wrote:
aeronautic - Apr 8, 09:46 AM
We can not only make this map with nice colours that most like, but colours that mean something with the old wars, invasions and migrations.

I think you went in wrong direction, right now your map looks warm with lovely colors and it has nothing that looks like old wars map. For old map maybe best theme will be brighter map but i suggest to continue with this style and forget about old wars.

As i said before i like colors in many versions and i also like texture you used for land but i dont like color and texture you used for water.
Here i like to show you what i would do but for final version i would play more with opacity.

aeronautic wrote:
The old wars, invasions and migrations were what determined the current national colours and the version I made with grouped colours utilised these colours, which Vexer made his own version of and which you used in your example and statement that "right now your map looks warm with lovely colors".

This is exactly what I was referring to with the statement "colours that mean something with the old wars, invasions and migrations".

As it transpired, these were also the versions which received the most positive feedback.

I like what you did with the sea texture and colour and will indeed look into adapting the background once I get the source file back and possibly before the land colours are settled on, as it may influence them.

You were working on a new version of land colour schemes (Vexer's example), with an old background & title, because Vexer didn't have the latest source file. The title no longer looks as you had it in duplicate.
PsymonStark wrote:
Well, that was an example of Spanish grammar :P

I meant I like much better the Great Britain of GB 6 than the Ireland of GB 12, meaning that I would try to modify the scheme based on that.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Vexer wrote:
I understand that a couple players liked ireland with green and yellow but the yellow is needed in wales otherwise it makes finding a solution in england too difficult. The bishop like two greens in Ireland to me it makes the map less balanced. The orange works well and is also a color associated with Ireland.

Tonight I am going to add my latest color scheme to the latest version of the file and we can tweak it from there.

I like noxon's ocean though it might be slightly too green.

@matty, it can't be easily exported to pdn format because pdn doesn't have layer effects. I'll see what I can do though.

aeronautic wrote:
I do not want to make this political, it is a game map and nothing else. However, I want you all to be aware of what those colours could mean to the Irish nations.
Orange (click to show)
emjaydee wrote:
Remember the problems a few years ago when Rangers released an orange away kit? Went down really well with the Protestants. The Catholics not so much.
naathim wrote:
Whiiiiite. Whiiiiite is the answwweeeeerrrrrrrr.

I think it would be politically acceptable to all sides. Look good and blend well.

What Virt posted is pretty much what I've been saying. He just has a better way with pictures!

The problem is there's three territories that need fine tuning. Wales, West Country, and N. Ireland. Yellow is already chosen for either N. Ireland or Wales. That leaves two colors still needed. I think since Aero's rainbow idea has gone away, there's no reason to stick with a ROYGBIV color palette. So I'd say pick two neutral colors and use them. Vexer put in the brown, but I don't think it quite fits with the rest of the colors, so I'd say try an off-white and a bright bluish-gray. (exactly like what Virt showed).

(I did actually try to think about this before I just started blurting out colors :P).

And while I'm sure aero and vexer are ready to strangle people, I'm glad it's been a very polite, although certainly colorful, discussion!
aeronautic wrote:
Can you all please take into account that there have been many suggestions and dislikes about something in all the colour schemes provided and not all suggestions of this magnitude can be addressed.

I am working closely with Vexer & Fendi and am sure that Vexer has just found the best balance of colours and tone.

Please adjust your monitor screen angles and scroll the map to see its full tones and please look at the whole thing and how the colours look with each other.
Please also look at the current live map to see what the vast differences are.
Current live GB (click to show)
(Edit aeronautic): Old image has been overwritten.

Here are Vexer's new colours, I have not altered anything about them because they are just so good I think I'm going to be sick with envy.
GB14a (click to show)

Here is a new background to enhance the colours further.
GB14b (click to show)
The_Bishop wrote:
That's wow. I can't imagine what reactions in the games in progress when you'll load the new image... I mean it's A LOT of improvement.

Vexer's colours are absolutely good. And as background I vote for the second. The first one is too much blue and after some minutes watching it you'll feel lost in the blue. The second one makes everything stands out better: title, sea tags, flag map... all.

I feel like Welsh and England flags are too next each other.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein