This early D12 map has been requested for a remake
  • 212 posts
  • Page 9 of 15
Hoodlum wrote:
Current live GB (click to show)
(Edit aeronautic): Old image now overwritten.

Here are Vexer's new colours, I have not altered anything about them because they are just so good I think I'm going to be sick with envy.
GB14a (click to show)

Here is a new background to enhance the colours further.
GB14b (click to show)
yeah, the background changes things up. the colours at first looked repetitive, but today with the background change, it works for me. I think the west country colour is still similar to N.England because of the darkness at the bottom of the background it sits on.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Vexer wrote:
@hoodlum I didn't want to take the west country any further toward purple because I don't like purple. But on my monitor there's still a big difference between it and north england. Are you viewing it on a laptop screen or some other crappy monitor?

I think the second background is too much. Too "lightbulby" to use a Matty term and too smooth. I much prefer the blue one or the one suggested by Noxon only with hue moved a little away from green and toward blue.
naathim wrote:
I prefer the background on GB14a. The background on b doesn't seem like it fits the site as a whole or matches a lot of the other geographical maps. Too grey I think.

Still loving that purple in Scotland!

But N. Ireland and Cornwall still don't look right, to me at least.

Purple and red combo in the south...eh. I don't think those colors ever look good in juxtaposition with each other. Although I think Vexer's done a good here.

The brown is not a flattering color. It doesn't mesh well with the other colors, nor does it look good with either of the backgrounds.

Still don't think it's quite there yet. But the improvement over the old one is so much, I think you can go with these, even though it's not quite what it should be.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
For me, the colours have reached that "Yes that's it!" stage. :)
I do not like background b, as although it does contrast the colours, to me it looks too shiny and somewhat space-age. I feel like it looks more like looking at a star in outer space than looking at the sea.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Matty wrote:
Love the colours, also like the 14b idea, but it's a bit too much of it.
Apart from that, the metallic background (this one isn't really a lightbulb @Vexer) makes the map even darker as it is.

I would like to see 14a but then giving West Country the purple colour from Schotland in this version.

Not sure if it'll be better, just to see the colours.

N. Ireland is still not perfect, but good enough IMO.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
emjaydee wrote:
Prefer 14b background myself. Also still think NI colour isn't right. Saying that, 14a and NI staying as it is wouldn't stop me playing it.
aeronautic wrote:
It seems we have some unity on the main concern to be the West Country to take on the previous purple of Scotland (this one)
I will work on the background, as the 14b version sparks a lot of interest, so I'll try to make it fit all suggestions.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
naathim wrote:
3/5 of respondents just said NI wasn't quite right... I think that ALSO constitutes a unity of opinion!!

<>< <>< <>< <>< - These are my carps, swim carps swim; carp, carps, carp!!

PsymonStark wrote:
If it had to go to any direction, West Country should drift to blue and not to purple (red) or we risk having again a red blob down there and making it hard to notice with S. England. Especially with the current colour of Scotland.

On NI colour, it looks ok to me.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Vexer wrote:
That's exactly why I went with a darker more blue purple instead of magenta.

I was only 95% satisfied with the North Ireland color but couldn't figure out how to make it better. People keep saying brown when I was going for orange. It might be a difference in monitors. Maybe aero can mod it.
PsymonStark wrote:
When focusing in it I'd say orange but given the colorful green in S. Ireland, it tends to go to the brown side. I'd say that green is a bit more intense than any other colour out there.

In the meantime, could aero please move the Dublin and Oxford labels a couple of px left, and Lothian a couple of px right? They don't look centered.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Okay I am working with the suggestions here:

First there has been some preference toward the darker background I tried, but others prefer the blue asking for a different texture, so I went somewhere between the two ideas and somewhere between Noxon's suggestion and my suggestions, so I will keep to this one background for all foreground examples, so as not to confuse the selection and refinement process. This background as far as I am concerned meets all the suggestions part way, which is total compromise, I also believe it accentuates the foreground.

First just see Vexer's colours unchanged with the new background:
GB15c (click to show)

Here is the West Country turned to the old purple of Scotland:
GB15b (click to show)

Here is a change to the green of Southern Island to accentuate the orange of Northern Island:
GB15a (click to show)

All 3 mini map's are of 15a for now.
Labels still have to be moved, was too involved in colours to remember this.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
I like 15c the best for now.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
Here is something we all forget and need to see, the colours against the game circle colours.
They need to be seen for how they clash and for how they enhance the foreground further.
GB Vexer Colours with coloured circles (click to show)
The_Bishop wrote:
Vexer's colours seem perfect to me, I cannot understand the criticism.

Sorry if I am a bit repetitive... But I vote for 14B! I cannot find anything better!

The new background is nice but it's TOO MUCH BLUE, cannot look at it more than 30 seconds, then my eyes need a break from all that blue.

14b looks very nice and it's also so innovative, being a different style from all the other maps.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein