This early D12 map has been requested for a remake
  • 212 posts
  • Page 6 of 15
aeronautic wrote:
I made the colour change back to GB8 which meant swapping N.Ireland & N.England and changed the Orange colour to a Brown colour as suggested.
I changed the background a little and made a more artistic title.
Meath has been changed to Dublin as suggested.
I will move the labels to better positions on the next update.
Let's try and get the colours and general appearance more settled with feedback for further development.
The mini map has been left as it was for colour reference.
GB9 (click to show)
GB10 (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
Sorry for saying the same thing the whole time, but here it is:
I don't like the colour of blue.

Apart from that, I also don't like the colour brown, it looks dirty.

Apart from that, not having orange next to red and yellow looks A LOT better, so that you have some more colour difference. Still, preferably a different colour than this weird light blue thing.

Why not try two shades of green, instead of two shades of blue?

Not sure if the background is an improveemnt. I do like the new title.

Also, after comparing with version 8, the brown does look a lot better than orange. I still think it's a bit dirty, but defenitely an improvement.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
I was just going to suggest lime green. Not sure for which region and with which scheme.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Sorry, I think I preferred the old sea texture, and definitely prefer the old title first letter font. I have no strong opinions on the latest colour change. Maybe two shades of green as suggested above would work.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

emjaydee wrote:
I think each successive colour change has made it look worse. It now looks quite dull.

Why not dark green for ROI and a bright green for NI?

I'd also make Scotland a Royal blue and change Northern England to an orange.

(I appreciate you have changed the colours a number of times already aero and there are many opinions to what colours they should be. This is just my preference. I actually preferred GB1-5 efforts than the later ones but I was outvoted).
Cireon wrote:
@emjaydee: we established using two tints of green for Ireland is not what we want.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
The last 2 posts weren't there when I logged off to make some changes. This is weird, but I tried a new concept and it isn't far off what MJ suggested.
I know it was suggested not to have two greens for Ireland, but here's what I have tried and why:
I made England all shades of Red / Purple, Wales stays as Yellow / Gold, Scotland is Blue & Ireland is Green.
I have gone for the predominant national colours, which are also their flags, apart from Ireland which is renowned for being Green (also part of the ROI flag).
The way the colours were set up from Vexer's original colour change left little room for replacement colours for the ones that were disliked. This means we will have to swap the colours around in some configuration in order to have colours that are not too clashing.
It's worth a look because there is so much difference in opinion that it may give alternative ideas or just need tweaking.
GB9 (click to show)
GB10 (click to show)
GB11 (click to show)
Title back to old font with new effect. (V98)
Labels in Ireland moved. (Psymon)
That "light blue" is gone, only the darker blue from the old West Country is used. (Matty)
Sea texture back the way it was. (V98)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
naathim wrote:
I think you are on the right track with this one!!

The big four look great!

N. England is pretty good. It's a nice flow, red and blue meet to make purple. Very metaphorical :P

Get Cornwall and N. Ireland sorted out and you'll be all set!

N. Ireland I don't think is bad. It's distinctive enough from the other region, but it's still kind of same-y. (What about a white like Malaysia on the East Indies map?)

I think the pink you have chosen is well balanced, but it doesn't seem to fit on the map. Devonshire's got green on it's flag? Maybe try the lime down there?

I like the background and the texture and the font.
Vexer wrote:
I hate the colors in GB11.

I liked the font for the title in GB10 but I'm ok with either.

Also I think the ocean labels should be all caps and I'm not sure the glow is right.
Vexer wrote:
Although I don't really think the official colors look good together I went ahead and made my own version of aero's new color scheme to give us more options. I didn't have the latest version so some of the recent updates are missing.

GB11-Vexer (click to show)
Matty wrote:
@Aeronautic: Good colours, except for one thing, which makes it really bad.
There now is one big blob of red(-ish) on the bottom right, one big blob of green on the left, and one big blob of blue on the top.
Basically back to the rainbow but then without orange.

I love the new colour green, not that sure on the pink, but it's not bad.

I wonder, what happens if the Scotland and N. England colours are swapped?
Or what happens if the N. Ireland and N. England colours are swapped?
I'd like to see those two options.

@Vexer: you have the same colour scheme, so the same comments apply. I think Aero's are better though because you have too little contrast in the two greens and the two reds (N. and S. England), while your yellow (gold) has too much contrast.
It's also very dark.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I like Vexer's colours and I'm sure when he puts colours up, they are not to show the brightness of the colours rather than the base colour and tone difference between colours.. the colour scheme. He has an excellent eye for this and when I see his colours I always know I can work with them, tweak them brighter etc.
I will first put a brighter version of Vexer's colours up and we can talk from there.

Please remember, we are so far down the line with disagreement on colours I may soon have to put up a Photoshop Kit for advisers to play with and get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

We can not only make this map with nice colours that most like, but colours that mean something with the old wars, invasions and migrations.
PsymonStark wrote:
These latest updates look worse in my opinion than the one in GB9. As Matty says, colours seem too grouped in close regions.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
I will also put up a version that accounts for Matty's suggestions.