This early D12 map has been requested for a remake
  • 212 posts
  • Page 4 of 15
aeronautic wrote:
I was working off this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_Ireland#/media/File:Ireland_location_provinces.svg and the problem with accuracy is, by using the old game-play, accuracy is impossible.

Shannon has personal reasons for me, not to be the choice of North Munster and it is a town in County Clare.
Limerick on the other hand is slightly smaller, but a far higher population and is also a County.

For North Leinster, where the label is, is more accurate for Meath, so we should move that there and use Cavan in the north territory instead and move the border for Connaught further north to eat into that territory more, to border County Leitrim on the real map... closer to it's actual northern border, which would normally be incorporating Leitrim as well. Using this for reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Ireland
GB6 (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
naathim wrote:
Meath doesn't necessarily scream 'ireland' to me. While pleasing natives is nice, I think Bishop is right. Sometimes putting recognizable names on places, even if they're a little 'off', is a lot better than being 100% accurate all the time. I mean you've got Donegal in the same region with northern ireland :P

Cork for Munster, Kilkenny for Leinster, Limerick for North Munster, Galway for Connaught, Dublin for North Leinster, and Monaghan for for Meath. All good Irish county names that are in the regions you propose that I think would be recognizable to a lot more people than the ones you have chosen. Munster sounds like German cheese...

Or just cheat and call Meath, Ulster.

I really wish you'd flip the green and the red from britain to ireland. Red and blue are what I'd consider british colors.

What about orange to ireland, green to northern ireland, red to england, light blue to Scotland, and purple to northern england?
emjaydee wrote:
(We are British people that all unified centuries ago and we should be proud to stand under one unified flag.)

Nice thought aero, but there are too many nationalistic people for that to work. The Scots will go eventually, Wales are arguing for it, and even Cornwall are talking about it.

I personally consider myself English, not British. It's hard to feel part of a union when most of the other parties hate you ;)

As for the map itself, I think it's looking good. I don't agree with shortening the names but can see how it makes things look neater. Have you considered adding the IOW as an extra territory like The Hebrides?
Virtuosity98 wrote:
emjaydee: Don't be so pessimistic! Be proud to be British! It's called "Great" for a reason! ;D I consider myself English and British (and also a little idealistic!!), and proud to be both.

Anyway, the Hebrides is not strictly a new territory, it just replaced another territory in northern Scotland, preserving the old gameplay in the process. If the Isle of Wight was added, what English territory would be removed in its place? I think it would be basically impossible to add the IOW and preserve the current gameplay.

I agree with Naathim's suggestion to make part of Ireland green, and part of England red.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Matty wrote:
Red is a heavy colour, it's very, well, present.

I think a big region shouldn't be red. Better to have S. England to be orange, N. England to be red and S. Ireland to be green.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I really do not advise using cities and towns in Ireland, or we have to use them everywhere.
The suggestions I made might not all be the most recognisable counties, but there are other smaller counties that may be utilised.

I will leave you all debate these issues for a while, with some thoughts to assist.

The game-play is fixed from the old map and with this currently being the 3rd most played map on the site, dictates that we keep it that way.
The scale of the map does not lend itself to cities on any of the territory sizes and in most cases, even counties are too small to suit and are shared sometimes 3 or 4 times in a territory.
Mostly I am using Counties / Provinces / Districts and have only veered from that where game-play / territory position & size don't allow the bigger county / district name and to name it a nearby county's name would be more inaccurate than it already is.

@MJD, this is just for you, welcome to the truth they wouldn't dare teach this way in our schools. Now how English is Great Britain and how foreign are the Welsh, Scottish & Irish? I hope you have a better opinion of English patriotism after reading this.
Brief History of GB (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
If aero doesn't want Shannon I won't be the one imposing it. Though, I propose to name the territories as follows: Connaught, Leinster, Munster, Limerick, Meath and Dublin.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
Ireland counties are too small for the purpose.

From the maps of Ireland I have seen on the net, I can argue there is an historical subdivision with 4 regions: Ulster, Connaught, Leinster and Munster and then there are modern regions mostly different from the old one.

I would prefer to use the historical regions. "Shannon" or "Northern Munster" is make no difference for me, nor even "Dublin" or "Northern Leinster".

From what I read in origin the regions where 5, including Meath and I think it can stay where it is, maybe less larger though.

But also the image shown by Psymon in prev page seemed correct to match the game-play but the name of regions are missing though.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
I have changed the Southern Ireland names temporarily for further discussion according to my proposals in the spoiler.
Ireland Territory Proposals (click to show)
I moved some borders in S. Ireland to shape to the county borders that have been utilised.

I swapped the land colours around as suggested and lightened some inner effects to make them more even.

I changed the labels font back to the one used previously which got messed up, as suggested.

I rotated the sea names to horizontal as suggested.

I changed the name of Outer Hebrides to Hebrides as suggested and darkened it slightly to eliminate the optical illusion of a brighter colour.

I changed the Wales emblem to the official Welsh flag, the Cross of St. David. Now they are all the official flags.
GB7 (click to show)
Vexer wrote:
The color change seems fine but the ocean labels are not.
aeronautic wrote:
GB8 (click to show)
Sea names new.
naathim wrote:
Cork for Munster, Kilkenny for Leinster, Galway for Connaught, Dublin for Meath, and Monaghan for for Cavan. All good Irish county names that are in the regions you propose that I think would be recognizable to a lot more people than the ones you have chosen. Munster sounds like German cheese...

I think I liked S. England and Welsh territories better before the mountains. They do look a little...artificial now, very much stretched and contorted to make borders.

I like these sea labels much better!
Matty wrote:
I'm still very unsure about the red and light blue colours used.

Also not sure whether or not orange it a good colour for N Ireland. Looked better for N. England I think.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
I agree that the orange in N. Ireland looks a bit out of place.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card