• 344 posts
  • Page 6 of 23
PsymonStark wrote:
By the way, could Clarke or someone else change the topic title in a way that lets people know that we're talking about the Hawaii Double map? This way we keep it ordered. Thanks!

Edit: Top page reference:
Spoiler (click to show)

Edit 2. Fast as lightning, wow, thanks whoever did it ^^
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Vexer wrote:
The 3D effect is cheesy and I don't like it either. Taking a vote is not going override the fact that the current cartographers and the admins in charge of cartography agree that the 3D effect doesn't fit with the site. We don't want just any map, we only accept the best. One of the primary reasons I joined the staff on this site was because it didn't have a sea of mediocre maps like other sites had. Now, our standards were a little lax for a couple years when we didn't have enough maps to provide sufficient variety but we have been going back and improving those maps or discontinuing them.

While it's important to allow for artistic license, when something is this polarizing we must find an alternative that both the artist and the users of the map will like without the controversy. It is not only possible but also likely that there is an alternative that both the artist and the users will like better. Aeronautic showed us an option that looks 100 times better. If it doesn't disgust you then I think we should go with it. You can ask aeronautic to help you with it.

Now I think this map has promise. Aside from the islands themselves I like everything else about the map from the ocean color to the background image to the title, the border and the interesting game play. But the land colors, texture and border can be much better with some more effort.
Dpon wrote:
Psymon, Thx for your great work ! Keep up the good work.
PsymonStark wrote:
Dpon, you're welcome. There are many threads where I could expect an acknowledgment but not this one though.

Clarke I think this one may be for you.
naathim wrote:
I love the cyclical look at the map. And I think it'll be a popular choice for players. Hope everybody can come to a good compromise with the graphics!

The only thing I'll add is that I don't much care for the neon green connection lines lol. But I realize that white or black ones might be difficult to see against the background. And since the map is idk kind of ying-yang-y shaped, maybe curve the lines a bit instead of straight ones? Just an idea.
Clarke wrote:
Okay naathim, I will play with the line when I am working on the rest, but don't be surprised if they stay as is. One reason for the green is because I hate when there is confusion on a map regarding connection lines. Recent example is the new East Indies map and the connection between Singapore and Riau. I missed it the first time I played the map. I want NO confusion with this map. But like I said, I will take your advice seriously and play with your ideas and see if inspiration comes.
Clarke wrote:
Okay here it is... Per the feedback on this thread the following changes have been made today:

1) Minimap has been made bigger and regions have been given names (per Psymon)

2) 3D effect of each island has been removed (per several folks)

3) The connecting lines between the islands have been given curves and are no longer neon green (per Naathim)

4) Each island has a different texture. The texture of each island is actually a topographical image of the island from google earth. (per Aeronautic)

5) The colors of each island have been made darker. (per Aeronautic) One important note I want everybody to know: If you research Hawaii, you will find that each island has a traditional color. In fact the ancient natives often refer to the islands by their traditional colors. The colors are: Hawaii (Red), Maui (Pink), Kahoolawe (Gray), Lanai (Orange), Molokai (Green), Oahu (Yellow), Kauai (Purple), Niihau (White). I am mentioning this because it explains how I selected the colors for the islands.

6) A 2pt dark brown border had been added to each island with a slight blur and a slight glow then added to soften the borders. (per Aeronautic)

Here is the latest version:

Spoiler (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
If you would like any advice or assistance with anything, just PM me. I don't mind actually making parts of the map and do not require any credits, this is my duty and I am happy to do it.
You will notice that I have placed your Hawaii Double map in the Map Progress thread as an 'approved for development' map.
This means that it will go live if it is developed.

There has always been interest in this map by the community since you developed the game-play to a Double map and that is why I was surprised that you stopped the graphic development.

Look at any map thread and you will see the suggestions and feedback changing the map as it develops to create a "best" version of it, always one step at a time. It is always still the creators own work, even if someone sends you a texture or an example of an idea that you use. The wooden table behind Italia was sent to me by Vexer. The land texture in Melee was given to me by CBT711, along with fonts from loads of people.
Without the help of the community, I would never have got my maps to their "best".

(Edit): LOL, it's like we are tuned into each other, you posted a few seconds ahead of me!

At first glance... WOW! What a difference you have made to the look of this map.
Give it a day or so for the feedback to start coming & any final alterations and I think you will have a very nice map published.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
What you will find now is because you have a really nice map, the community will want to refine it a bit more in tiny places to make it pristine for your new masterpiece to take its place in the D12 maps page.

Very well done Clarke, I am proud of what you have achieved from all your effort put into making maps.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Clarkette wrote:
I love it!! I am amazed the difference the changes made! I loved it before, but really love it now!!
aeronautic wrote:
This is what I and the rest of the staff knew we would hear.

We know how to develop maps, but we need the creator to trust us when we say, "it's good, but it can be better".

You should be proud Mrs Clarke, your husband has created a very nice map.

(Edit): Please do what I am currently doing and open the last version and this version in 2 different tabs and switch between them, the difference is deafening.
Clarkette wrote:
We have been doing that and are both very pleased. I also like naathims idea about the curved lines..I like that effect
Clarke wrote:
BTW - I have not formed any strong opinions as per the locations of capitals. So I will leave those decisions to the experts to decide where bet to place them.
PsymonStark wrote:
First of all, this is a huge improvement. Great work Clarke.

I have a couple of concerns on the borders. It's possible to see the sea in some parts of some islands, specially Niihau and Kahoolawe. Kahoolawe looks blurry, it seems like the colour is faddening the texture.

Also, the minimap looks pixelated because the borders are not present there.