• 344 posts
  • Page 2 of 23
Matty wrote:
You said that carribean inspired you right?
Ports (or planes) make a map alot more difficult, you can also just add some extra connection lines.
Like an arc between Halaii and Ewa (with a picture of a ship??)
Maybe a shiproute on the top of the map, and an extra connection from the blue region or something.

You seem to like Carribean, and alot of others too, so why not?
Also, with ports this one is almost an exact copy from Central America, and we already have so many maps with ports.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Clarke wrote:
Well I got a lot of comments that said it was too linear. I do like your idea about shipping lanes but too late now.

So this was just my first map. We all have to learn somewhere. I could not have expected to hit a home run my first time up. Hopefully I will learn from my mistakes and do better with the next one.

But I do appreciate that everyones comments were valid and nobody just insulted me for no reason. That was my biggest fear... lol
Clarke wrote:
First draft took about 5 hours. All told about 8 hours went into my current draft (most recent link).
Clarke wrote:
I have recently come to find out that many map makers spend months (or even over a year) working on a map. I admire their dedication and skill. I know my map took only 8 hours, and the profesional map makers will be able to pick it apart like a Thanksgiving turkey and tell me why my map looks so bad (particularly it is pixelated).

But I think I bring a unique style and can work quickly that might just forgive my lack of talent in the technical aspects to map making. Players get very excited for new maps.

I will continue to produce new maps as often as I can. Perhaps the quality will improve, perhaps not... But if my maps are not good enough for the site, I completely understand. It won't stop me from making them because I enjoy doing it so much.

If any other pro map makers want to use my maps as "suggestions" and redo it properly with the right skill and quality, all I ask is to split the credit.
SpamFree wrote:
I like the map and hope it eventually gets to be deployed so that we can play it and not just talk about it.
BTW I was thinking that it could be a good candidate for a "parallel" or "mirror" map such as Caribbean Double. (I also suggested as much here: http://dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&act=view&id=1211&board=43&lastpost=1#post-17656)

OldDogGen wrote:
not bad. I like :)I think another sea plane somewhere on the north coast of the biggest island would improve it (for game play)and maybe enlarging the game map and reducing the key for bonuses. also not straight lines dividing it up.:) good work.let me know when u r ready to test it im up for it :)
lifeinpixels wrote:
I think there is good potential here as a double map too. If you have time when you've finished, maybe you can try out SpamFree's idea.
Clarke wrote:
Sadly it isnt. Until I can get a better program (like getpaint.net) on my work computer, I have take this one as far as it can go with microsoft paint.

However, I do have a great idea based on someones suggestion to turn it into a double map.

So we will see. But as far as the original goes, it is as good as I am going to be able to get it for the time being.
urgul wrote:
I'm sorry.
Do you have a mac? Try Seashore! I am making my Persian Gulf map on it, it works well
Clarke wrote:
I have seashore on my MAC but I don't know how to use it. I suppose I could try to find some tutorial videos or something. Do you think seashore is easier to use than the other programs you have tried?
urgul wrote:
yes i found it very simple
try a vid on yotube or something