• 344 posts
  • Page 1 of 23
Clarke wrote:
Well here it is, the link to my first map. A few things you should know first:

1) I am a jump right in kind of guy. So in my enthusiasm I just went ahead and did the entire map. (Was done before I read the post about first posting your rough draft)

2) It is okay if it never gets used on the website. It was good practice for me and I learned a lot. Enjoyed making it, much fun!

3) I know each territory has no "outline" but I think it gives it a very elegant appearance. I also don't there there will be any confusion as to where the territories are because they are plainly marked. I like bringing a new style and look to the maps, as many of them look very similar in style.

4) I don't mind ANY criticism, but please be constructive and not personal. Example: of good criticism: The Big Island of Hawaii should be worth more reinforcements. Example of bad criticism: Your F-ing map sucks man. 

Looking forward to hearing what the more experienced map makers think. Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_toaBLQPd1FU243ZDFoNTgxZzg/edit?usp=sharing
Clarke wrote:
Oh, and by the way... The map is completely to scale, both in the sizes and shapes of each island and their relative vicinity to each other.

And all of the place names are actual place names in the sections they are located. I used google maps to find the names of the territories.

Thanks!
Cireon wrote:
Interesting idea to take this as a map, but I don't think it is really working. The reason why we ask people to post their rough concepts first is so we can take a look at the gameplay. The fact that you "just went ahead and finished the map" already says enough about certain things.

The map is very linear, which results in gameplay that is arguably not very fun (caribbean map is a great example of this). The region bonuses are also way too high and while I agree that not having territory bonuses has its elegance, the map will need a lot of work regarding graphics.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Clarke wrote:
If the Caribbean map is not very fun, then why does it have the 2nd most games ever on the website, behind only World Classic.

The Caribbean map's popularity is what inspired me to do this one.

Thanks for the feedback.
Cireon wrote:
Yes, but this popularity is very debated. Winning the map itself is very much depending on luck instead of skill. Indeed, people like playing this map (probably because of the size of it), but experienced players usually avoid the map because of this. So as staff we'd rather see maps that have a more interesting gameplay.

Someone else can probably say this in better wording, I am just a programmer :P
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Axobongo wrote:
i must agree with cireon, and i dont like linear maps. But island maps deserve more port connections than they usually get.
To see the big island as a 5 reinforcement and only 1 border to defend it is not good,, holding a big money maker territory should mean the challenge of several borders to defend,, i would magnify the map to hold more troops all around, plus more ports and connections and travel paths .

the caribbean maps popularity is baffling, but then again so are those who opt for 2 or 3P games over and over.
urgul wrote:
hey! i like carribbean. its a good map.
also, i like this map too. it seems pretty good looks wise.
gameplay, i have to agree, seems a little linear.
but the map is really cool looking.
Vexer wrote:
Here is a basic starting point to determine what the regions are worth:

region bonus = number of territories/3 + number of territories to defend/2.5

That would make Hawaii worth 3 not 5. I haven't checked the rest of the map but I assume more will need to be changed.

lifeinpixels wrote:
Besides what people have been saying about the gameplay, I do like your graphics style!
Clarke wrote:

Here is version 2. I have added sea plane bases (like ports). Tomorrow I will fix the numbers of reinforcements per island using the formula Vexer suggested.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_toaBLQPd1FbWxQN3hDcTFzQVk/edit?usp=sharing
Matty wrote:
My main remark is that the lines separating the territories are so straight that it looks like manhatten to me. I'm no expert on hawaii, but it looks off.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
lifeinpixels wrote:
I personally like the strait lines. It's a refreshingly unique style. My only other complaint graphics wise is that the land is far to close to your borders. You need a good amount of margin all around the edges. 
The_Bishop wrote:
The background is fine but is a bit pixelated.
(clearly LifeInPixels can't see it! It looks normal to him! LOL)
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Clarke wrote:
Here is the most recent version:

I changed the reinforcement values based on Vexer's formula.

I also added the sea planes to reduce the linear-ness of the original map.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_toaBLQPd1FX0g2OU1FOXIyR3c/edit?usp=sharing