Experimental Tournaments
  • 151 posts
  • Page 4 of 11
The_Bishop wrote:
To make things more clear using the names of the players.

Mediterranean States
Game A == maafi, 4960epic, Sygmassacre, aeronautic, Hoodlum, Cireon
Game B == Matty, Fendi, Henris_1, The_Bishop, emjaydee, supiachao

Westeros & Essos
Game C == maafi, Fendi, Henris_1, aeronautic, emjaydee, Cireon
Game D == Matty, 4960epic, Sygmassacre, The_Bishop, Hoodlum, supiachao

------------

We have very high skilled players here, 5 of them are in the top 12 for real and 1 got really close. So suggest me please what to do for the 4p final game. I would like map and settings that let the game go without fall in a stalemate.

The previous experiment was a 4p game in World Classic map very strategic and epic, but it never saw the end and at some point one of the four left the game throwing it in a even deeper stalemate. Someone thought that if he wouldn't have left the game would have been finished, but I doubt it.

Capitals gametype maybe would help a bit, but not so much I guess.

Domination would be better even if it is not so popular. (click to show)

So, tell me what you think guys.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
Yes, so this the other main reason why I am not a favourite of the mini tourneys, the 4 player final.

One could start the 4 games using 1 caps 1 deathmatch and then a final domination, although if possible I'd like to keep it increasing deathmatches.

Still, the risk on a stalemate is defenitely there, as we get a bit too good at staying alive and protect others from a kill, so a low capped (or fixed card) domination game could solve that.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Wow Matty, that's a very good point! It would be a fair way to include all gametypes. Capitals is a setting loved by many. And if the final Domination game must be with capped cards then the DM games might be with advanced increasing cards. To include different card options. Well, they can be ideas for the next experiment.
Matty wrote:
I just noted that the 12p contest does not have advanced cards.

Good players should be able to handle them without suiciding. I don't play caps often, so maybe pros have normal cards there, but for a increasing deathmatch you defenitely should have advanced cards. Much more can happen, much less chance on a stalemate.

Apart from that, I like balanced dice. Why does nobody ever use them?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
I usually set all my games increasing with normal dice, just because I think they are the most standard settings. But I don't deny to join games with advanced increasing cards and balanced dice.

In fact I feel balanced dice are not really needed... It's kind of a philosophycal matter, dice were born to be random, why should I limit their randomness? However in this case could be more suitable because it is a tourney and we want the skills to come up more than the luck.

For the Advanced cards I trust your experience, @Matty, we can apply it in the final game. Anyway for capitals, especially with 6 or more players, I would say advanced cards should be avoided because it produces catastrophic effects.
The_Bishop wrote:
We already have the first victims, but not any winners yet.
Anyway stay tuned, they are probably coming soon!

------------

Here the 4 games in progress:

Mediterranean States
Game A == maafi, 4960epic, Sygmassacre, aeronautic, Hoodlum, Cireon
Game B == Matty, Fendi, Henris_1, The_Bishop, emjaydee, supiachao

Westeros & Essos
Game C == maafi, Fendi, Henris_1, aeronautic, emjaydee, Cireon
Game D == Matty, 4960epic, Sygmassacre, The_Bishop, Hoodlum, supiachao

------------

As for the Final Game, this tourney began as Deathmatch and I would finish it the same way. In case of stalemate we'll try something different. Then for the next run I wish we can try mixed gametypes as suggested by Matty.

As a map choice, United States can stay for me, the most popular in that size, excluding World Classic, also popular is World Modified similar to the Classic but fairer, otherwise 11 starting territories should propel the fight a bit more, then Balkan Peninsula can be good, or, less popular, New Zealand. The latter also has a good connectivity provided by ports and it gives less chance for players to protect each other.

I can't decide if cards should be normal or advanced, and dice should be standard or balanced.
I will let the majority decide.
Matty wrote:
Note: ports and the domination game type is not a very good combination IMO, so preferably not New Zealand for a final.

If it's a 4 player deathmatch the cards should be advanced, to prevent some extra possibilities for a stalemate I think.
As always, I prefer balanced dice, but I'm ok with it if the others want the original dice instead.
The_Bishop wrote:
Congrats Admiral Fendi!

So we have 2 winners now... Waiting for last 2 games to finish.

Emjaydee 'risked' to go home with the trophy!
cbt711 wrote:
I'm in!
What ever happened to just adding 3 colors?
http://www.dominating12.com/forum/index.php?cmd=topic&act=view&id=1688&page=2#post-22793

I leave for one long messy divorce, and everyone forgets all my posts. :D
@Bishop, I even had a post for new colored ranks somewhere. I can't find it though. I love the ones you made.
The_Bishop wrote:
I believe a 12 player game is in everybody's mind. But there are serious problems how to implement that. You have to change the game interface to fit 12 players.
And you have to change the rules of the game a little bit.
I think 9 players is already a bit too high for increasing games and I imagine with 12 players in the ring things can get absurd.
The major problem is the turn-in value growing too fast in the first 'turn-in round'. I might suggest maybe to change it from:
4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50... to:
6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 8, 8, 8, 8, 10, 10, 10, 12, 12, 15, and then to follow the normal rule.
cbt711 wrote:
I wish there was a like post button. That's exactly how I would handle the bonus turn in, but yeah I totally understand. Once turn ins get moderately high, if your turn goes by, you're done. Not much skill there as much as timing when everyone is decent.

I think a year ago when I was pushing 12 was for better team games. 4 teams of 3, 3 teams of 4, 6 teams of 2, etc.