+Haiti was too messy
  • 82 posts
  • Page 3 of 6
Vexer wrote:
i was working on it as you were posting this. have patience.
Matty wrote:
Im not so sure about the minimap background, but for the rest its good
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
Hello! I'm new here, but I want to come with an improvement to this map.

I'm Spanish, and so I've seen that the names of the regions are not totally correct, or could be better written in other better ways. For example, the region "Monsenor N." could be renamed to "Monseñor", from "Monseñor Nouel", that is like "Priest Nouel". "Priest N." is kind of weird. Normally, it's called "Monseñor", so that's why I tell you.

Also, some other names would need their respective accents. If the used font doesn't accept them, it's ok, but in case it does, and you want to change them:
Dajabon is written Dajabón in Spanish,
Elias Pina -- Elías Piña,
Hermanas M. -- Hermanas Mirabal (Hnas. Mirabal abbreviated, or still H. Mirabal)
Maria T.S -- María Trinidad Sánchez (Mª Trinidad abbreviated),
Monte Cristi -- Montecristi
Samana -- Samaná,
Sanchez R. -- Sánchez Ramírez (Sánchez abbreviated),
San Cristobal -- San Cristóbal
San Jose De Ocoa -- San José de Ocoa (please note "de" not in capital letters),
San Pedro De M. -- S. Pedro de Macorís (same than previous, if fits, better than San Pedro de M.)
S. Rodriguez -- S. Rodríguez
Baoruco -- Bahoruco
Distrito N. -- D. Nacional would be better. (National D. better than N. District I guess, specially being on the southern part of the island)

I think that's all. I hope you see this comment useful. Weird characters of Spanish could be copied from here, I guess.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Pntbttr wrote:
I don't understand your abbreviations...for Maria T.S. you left out
Sánchez...and in Sánchez R. you left out Sánchez...you are leaving out words in some of them is that on purpose?
Thorpe wrote:
the second names are what he wants
not the first ones
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
PsymonStark wrote:
Yes, I do, because if we're trying to save some space, we delete directly the name.

For example, in common use, some names are just too long. There are villages in Spain like "Villarroya de la Sierra" which normally are called "Villarroya". In official documents and so, it's used the full name, and also to distinguish them (many places are named with the same words, that one means Red Town of the Mountains, literally translated, like everywhere, I guess).

Sánchez Ramírez are just the two surnames of a person, and should not be shortened, but if needed, the first one is most used. Also Maria Trinidad Sánchez follows the "middle name, first name, surname". Theoretically the best way to tell would be effectively "Mª Trinidad Sánchez" but we already have a Sánchez in Sánchez Ramírez to call it Mª T. Sánchez, so that's why I suggested that name (in addition this is not a very big territory, so name is not easy to fit).

Anyway, I'm Spanish, not Dominican, so I can't tell you how they call their regions, apart from the info I've seen on the net.
Thorpe wrote:
great comments Psymon Stark!
We map makers love this information!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Pntbttr wrote:
Thanks I'll make the changes in the text...I can do the accents...
Pntbttr wrote:
Mª Trinidad Sánchez

I don't understand this one...M has an A to the right of it...like you put M to the A power or something...what does that mean?
Pntbttr wrote:
http://imageshack.us/f/687/dominicanrepublic6vexer.jpg/

OK...I changed the names...I still don't understand the "Mª Trinidad Sánchez" name (read above)...

I finished changing them in the Cartographer panel too...

I lowered the opacity layer on the minimap outline layer because I thought that it looked too extreme...

Thanks for the help PsymonStark...Can you please check the region names for me too? I have never done region names...so they are a little inaccurate and I was wondering if the names made sense...
Pntbttr wrote:
I would like this map to be playable soon...What do I need to improve?
PsymonStark wrote:
Oh sorry, I didn't see.

Mª is a normal abbreviation of the name María. That is because until 1950s most girls were named María by religious means, then other name, so it was abbreviated because it did nothing for people distinction.

Hope it's clearer now!
Pntbttr wrote:
oh, OK...I think it is ready to play on what do you guys think?
Vexer wrote:
where's your name on the map pntbttr? Also, i was thinking that since i turned the poo background into a tan background some of the colors may need a bit more saturation. maybe maybe not. play around with it a bit and see what you think.

We are currently testing the map to make sure it got inputted into the system correctly. We also still need to come up with capitals positions.