+Haiti was too messy
  • 82 posts
  • Page 1 of 6
Thorpe wrote:
Nice map ..but not sure I would like the game play.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
this is definitely better but pntbttr, could you please try using a paper or canvas background instead of always the ocean. there are so many more color options when you use paper. lots of colors match a light brownish/yellowish paper color. The colors here look good except the black is too dark, grey is better. But I can only handle so many maps with that color of ocean. If you don't go with paper on this one then at least do something else with the ocean. Also, the ocean doesn't have to be just one color with shading and texture. Look at the ocean on europe 1814. it appears to have at least 2 colors (glanru said he used 5). It's normal to have just one color for the territories because it makes it easier to differentiate regions but the ocean can be more dynamic and not make the map harder to understand.

also, the mini map doesn't need it's own ocean layer. it will look better without it.

there are game play issues but i don't have time to go into it now. you can work on the ocean in the meantime since that doesn't have anything to do with game play.
Thorpe wrote:
Too dark, not enough contrast
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
hmm. thorpe is right about it being too dark. reduce the texture on the background a lot and then modify the color to match if necessary. reduce the opacity of the texture on the land a little bit. afterwards you may have to increase the saturation of the colors by 1 or 2.

Try using a gradient to make the corners of the background darker. Here's how in paint.net :

Start with a black background. click on the ellipse tool and change it from outline to filled shape. choose grey for the color (RGB 128, 128, 128) then draw an ellipse so that only the corners remain black. Then use a gaussian blur to make it a gradient. probably a radius of 170. Then overlay the layer on top of the background. Adjust brightness contrast if necessary.

The lines look pretty good but try using the sharpen effect on the thin lines and see if it looks better.

Text and title are great. will talk about game play in the next post.
Pntbttr wrote:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/dominicanrepublic2jpeg.jpg/

The minimap was not updated

I was reading a little of the guide to map making thread and you say that it is bad to have one region with two territories to defend...If that's the game play problem I can easily add "Sanpedro De M." to the brown region...
Leedog wrote:
Nice... this is like hand-to-hand combat, because everyone will be close!!
Thorpe wrote:
Yeah for me game play is to straight forward...how many players will play this map?...mmm
Just to make a map just to make it ...

Then maybe... people will like it,but I do not think this one will get played a lot.
Vexer wrote:
your outline looks perfect now but the shading is too much. either reduce the contrast on the shading layer or lower the opacity.

Also please lower the opacity of the texture on the background but not on the land.

I'd rather the text on the mini map be white like the rest of the text on the map.

This is definitely a 2-3p map. Many of our new players are playing 2-3p live games so it should be fine. But the region bonuses are wrong.

Actually I have less to say about game play than i thought. Just change the value of the purple region to 2 because it's in a corner and therefore easier to defend.

Because it's a small map with a big area for a mini map it should be possible to fit the region names on the mini map. This is always preferred when possible. If you ditch the black box around the mini map it will make it easier to fit the labels. You can also make the mini map slightly bigger if needed.

Other than all that the map is pretty much done.. text looks good, love the title, colors are good, compass was improved.. Don't forget your name on the map.

If you want to go the extra mile and make it fancy you could try to make a border around the map. A border really made a big difference on the Tor map.
Matty wrote:
I just like the map, happy bright colours, not too large regions, everyone up close.

Dont know if a border would be so much better here, cause World of Tor really is an old chart, this is more a modern map.

The only problems i can think of are the overpowered purple region, and the brown region has too little contrast with the background.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
Vexer wrote:
The brown region will stand out better once the texture is reduced on the background. And you are probably right about it not needing a border.