redone
  • 135 posts
  • Page 8 of 9
Matty wrote:
I think its an improvement!
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Pntbttr wrote:
I like the old color but if you make the new one a tiny bit darker it would be perfect...
Matty wrote:
I believe there was some confusion about "The Netherlands" somewhere in this topic.
For those who are interested in how it can become even more confusing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
I did a redo of the map this weekend.

You'll notice it's quite simple and clean. That is on purpose. Europe is a core map that every risk site needs and therefore needs an inoffensive style. You might not love it but at least no one will hate it. I'm willing to take small suggestions but I'm not likely to change the overall style. You're welcome to say whatever comment you have, however.

New Version
http://www.dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/Europe%20Risk%20Game%20Map.jpg

Pntbttr's Version:
http://www.dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/Europe1.jpg
Original WCA version:
http://www.dominating12.com/image/map/4.large.jpg
elysium5 wrote:
I like the simplicity. Very clean.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Cireon wrote:
I have never had problems with the original map, but of course I am always in for improvement. This new version however, is not.

The colours are way too saturated, they hurt my eyes. Additionally I am not a fan of the striped background.

I also miss the minimap a lot. I think it is not clear enough that the number represent region bonuses.

Finally, I have to say that I like the styles of the territory borders a lot. They give the map a very different feeling which could work.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Fendi wrote:
I think this is a huge improvement, but I have to agree with Cireon that the region bonuses need to be more clear since this will be a default map. Maybe have a circle around the region bonuses with the colour of the region they belong to.

I like the colours, mainly because they don't look washed out like in the previous version but maybe the saturation can be turned down a bit if that helps.
Matty wrote:
I like it, and at the same time I don't like it.

It defenitely doesn't have the feeling that it always rains in Europe, so that's a huge improvement, but the colours are a bit too, well, simple.
And the background doesn't really look good, looks a bit like an old woman's tablecloth :S

And yes, I don't see what was wrong with peanut's minimap.
Vexer wrote:
I looked at this map on Glanru's monitor and the colors looked too saturated to me as well. I was also not able to see all the detail. His monitor was way too bright. I made the map with my brightness setting at 12%. I'll try and make some adjustments to make it look better on everyone else's crappy monitors.

I was just trying something new with the region bonuses to make it cleaner. I'll try a mini map next.

I'll try modifying the background though I am not sure what's wrong with the old woman's table cloth look. It matches the simplicity of the rest of the map.

Cireon wrote:
Vexer - May 13, 10:39 AM
I'll try and make some adjustments to make it look better on everyone else's crappy monitors.
In general I have to say that I love the colours of the screens of Macbooks in general. Photo's I have made look fabulous on this, so don't you dare to call this a crappy monitor xD
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
elysium5 wrote:
Vexer, maybe try old lady place mat instead of the whole tablecloth? Or go in the opposite direction with a quilt or knitted sweater?
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Matty wrote:
Could you also remove a bit of the green from Scandinavia, to make it more lightblue and less seagreen.
Vexer wrote:
Matty and Cireon you've both asked what was wrong with the current version and why it even needs a redo. I didn't even bother to explain it because it seemed so obvious to me. This map was at the very top of the redo list. Fendi and I both felt the need to redo this one first.

Cireon said he has no issue with the current map but then went on to say that he liked the territory borders on the new version. Well that is exactly what's wrong with the old version. The lines are too thick and fuzzy.

And Matty said he doesn't see what's wrong with pntbttr's version but just 2 lines earlier he said that the old map made it look like it always rains in Europe and that the new version is an improvement in this respect. The old version's texture is the problem. It is way overdone.

So you two say there is nothing wrong with it but then both point out exactly what's wrong with it. I think we have a case here of opposition to change based on your own feelings and not on objectivity. That being said, you don't like the new version enough to warrant a change so I will try something else. Eventually I will come up with a style you like and the map will be updated.

I will try a different background, modify the colors and perhaps add a little bit of pntbttr's texture on just the land--depends on if I can get it to match the background. I'll try a mini map too. The one thing that won't change is the territory borders. A map with territories this small needs thin territory borders to look good.
Matty wrote:
I did not exactly say there was nothing wrong with peanuts map, it can do alot better.
I said I liked his minimap
("And yes, I don't see what was wrong with peanut's minimap.";)

Even though I think his borders are fine, yours look better.

Over all you are doing a great job here improving the map, but at the moment I think its just a bit too simple, too empty. It makes me think of Tamriel, which has a really nice gameplay, but it just looks too empty (and too bright, that's probably even worse).