redone
  • 135 posts
  • Page 4 of 9
Pntbttr wrote:
I don't see anything wrong...Is the texture showing through the green and yellow regions too much?

to bright?
Should I change the blue regions?
Should I not do a blue ocean...?
Matty wrote:
The problem is that the orange region looks like they are two seperate regions :)

And well, i love the deepblue (do you spell it like that?) colour of the sea, but it has little contrast with the other territories

And please call "the Netherlands" the Netherlands.
You might also call it Holland if you really want to, but the netherlands is better i think.
Also the spike in the Netherlands down into belgium should be a little longer, just for reallity (yes, i live there, sorry)
I like the fact that you gave it the colour orange though :P:P
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Pntbttr wrote:
I really don't see what you talking about...The orange region doesn't look like two regions and "The Netherlands" isn't orange...it's brown...

First of all the orange region...is orange...so I don't see why that would make it hard to tell how many regions it is...+if you look at the map you can quickly tell that the region borders are much darker than the territory borders...+it is kinda obvious that it isn't two regions because if it was than gameplay would be messed up and I wouldn't have put two orange regions with exactly the same color next to each other...

@Matty which spike into Belgium? Why do you want the Netherlands called "The Netherlands" (why "The"?)...it looks much neater when it is abreviated...In the cards it will be written "Nether. (Netherlands)"...if it really matters that much I can write the whole name out, I just thought that it made the map look sloppy...
Vexer wrote:
wow. Matty got it right. The problem is with the orange. your brown and orange are too close to the same color. they should not be right next to each other. It seriously looks like one big orange region. The brown is not brown enough. The colors may look different with the texture layer off but once you turn in on they both look like orange.

My monitor produces very accurate colors - it's one of the best out there and it really is more dark orange than brown. Are you using a laptop? Laptop screens are notoriously poor quality.

I used the color picker on the flattened image and sure enough your brown region has too much red in it making it orange. Our eyes might lie because of perspective but the RGB values don't.

Also, on a map with this much ocean I don't think there should be a dark blue region. Too much blue. But i would actually prefer that there be a background and not an ocean. There is so much ocean that the blue just completely dominates the map. A canvas color would be so much easier on the eyes. Then you wouldn't have to saturate the rest of the colors so much which would also help.
marcoxa wrote:
i too see what vexer is talking about. i have a high quality HD monitor so mine is prob in the same range as vexer.
Matty wrote:
Leave the name like it is - you abbreviated Switz. and Azer. too (sorry, I was tired last night and i didn't look that good).
I usually prefer not to abbreviate things, but for such small territories it might only make it worse not to i guess.

As for "the spike"
if you look here http://tudorhistory.org/maps/europe.jpg, you can see that at the bottem right part of the netherlands there is a small region going "into belgium"
it might look unimportant, but on your map without it, it looks really weird to me, as if i dont recognize my own country =/
(Maybe you shouldnt extend the bottom of the country, but cut in some of the rest of the bottom, so that its some more horizontal. So more like this:
___
. . . |
)

And i dont really know what to do with the ocean and the dark blue region. Cause i really like all of your colours, each colour is perfect on its own, but somehow there is too little contrast between them, and putting them together kind of ruines their perfectness if you get what i mean :)
Maybe there just shouldn't be a darkblue region (the lighter blue region is fine)

Also, the minimap might use a larger border. Or maybe no border at all, but just a "normal territory border" on the territories, leaving the minimap-ocean the same as the not-minimap-ocean.

P.S. I forgot to say so, but i like the map!
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Pntbttr wrote:
Thank you all for your comments...I will try and fix all the problems that you guys have shown me but I wont be at home till monday...and I have school so it will be monday night probably...or tuesday...
Fendi wrote:
Hello.

The colours on this map are good, but they are too saturated, especially the ocean. You dont want to draw too much attention to it even though it is a big part of the map. My suggestion is if you are going to use bright colours on the land then you should use a mild one on the ocean. I actually agree with Vexer about this map not needing an ocean. Furthermore I honestly thought that the brown and orange region were 1 region before looking at the mini-map. You really need to change that.
Other than that, nice job.

Take care.
Pntbttr wrote:
oh! Sorry guys...some how I only ended up reading one comment before working on it (been a little busy)...I will read the rest in a bit and then post an update...
Pntbttr wrote:
...forgot to say that I got back earlier than I thought I would...
Pntbttr wrote:
Oh...actually now that I've read all the comments I see that I've done everything that everybody wanted except for matty's request for change in the outline...I guess I will wait for more comments...

@Matty...I will change the border of the netherlands in the next update...thx for the comments
marcoxa wrote:
much better. however you need to update the minimap. also i'm not a big fan of the title font choice, but that's just me.
Matty wrote:
I dont know if Fendi agrees on me, but i liked the bright colours of the last version better.

The choice of colours defenitely improved - the contrast between continents is perfect i think.
The saturated ocean is better too, it draws less attention.
But the land is saturated as well, and I liked the happy colours from the old one ;)

I think if you change the land colours back (well, not the colours, but their brightness) than the contrast between the dark blue region and the ocean background will increase as well, since that's still a little problem i think

Looking forward to the next update :)

Edit: Maybe you should move the bottom most "3" in the minimap a little bit to the left