updated August 2013
  • 93 posts
  • Page 6 of 7
PsymonStark wrote:
I am almost sure that the map itself won't change just for a special setting. But if we go to the cap guide...

DXII Guide
If one capital is on a border then all the capitals should be on a border. If you can't space them out properly without using borders, then they should all be on borders and not just one. The only exception is if there is one capital that is obviously less preferred than the rest then you may consider putting it on a border so that all the capitals are equally preferable.

Why not Georgetown for cap, even when its paths are shorter and it's on a border? I don't know if it would work, but Snug has always been a complain source and it wouldn't affect other settings.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
We will bare this in mind.
Caribbean is a very popular map and as Vexer said we could make a Caribbean 2 which has connections suitable for 4 players.
We do have quite a list of maps with priorities at the moment and this should available for manufacture around the beginning of April. Please bump this thread then!

If however, in the meantime we have any talented graphics people who could be budding map makers and they want to have a go at making this before then, please read the Guide & the Tutorials and show us your wares.

@rez-i-dent if anyone takes this up, be sure to lend yourself to the thread and place suggestions, concerns & feedback.

(Edit): Psymon posted his the same time, so I hadn't read what he said.
I agree with moving the cap from Snug to Georgetown, this could be done straight away.

My reasons for giving the green light on this is, even though we'd have 1 Cap on a border, this region still has 2 access points and all other caps can move their troops off Cap, essentially also having their Caps on borders or frontiers.

I would still recommend having an even fairer Caribbean2, but I will chat to Psymon about this to see if he agrees.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Clarke wrote:
In my humble opinion, the capitals in a 2-player Caribbean game should be in FORT MEYERS and DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. Give both players the same opportunity to earn their region bonuses. Having Cayman is a HUGE disadvantage.
jonboy1967 wrote:
I totally agree with rez.....It needs to be changed.

1) The only three real good strategy from snug is
  a)luck
  b)get lucky and be able to build and take out havana before they get
   florida.
  c)take no cards and hope for a mistake

2) All other territories have 1 way in and out.

My idea is this. Do it the way rez said or simply move the cap to abraham bay, and take out the matthue to guantanamo connection

Thanks for the time guys. You do GREAT!!!! WORK!!!!
rez-i-dent wrote:
"we could make a Caribbean 2 which has connections suitable for 4 players."

Exactly what just came to my mind as well. A duplicate map with settings just for a 4 player. It gets played so often it has to be addressed somehow. If it doesn't work too well then I'm sure the feedback will come and together we could think of new ideas to tweak where it isn't working.

Yes Aero... the region is wide open to attack so where it gains an advantage it has pitfalls as well. It makes it exciting though either way.

My thinking behind the moving of the link to Santa Clara came from somebody else I was chatting to and it makes sense, because 3 capitals all fight for one square and the one on the west is kind of isolated. That move adds a different dynamic - but it would be best tried in a caribbean modified map.

Caribbean is always exciting anyway, so each cap will bring different problems.

Thanks for hearing me out and I hope to try it out soon... :D
PsymonStark wrote:
Jonboy, as we mentioned above, the map outline WILL NOT change. We are not changing a map for an specific setting. Deleting that connection would make a huge dead end there for deathmatches.

I am not a fan of making a Caribbean copy just for 4p caps. Maybe a different map with similar gameplay designed for 4p caps, but definitely not a exact copy with changed connections.
jonboy1967 wrote:
Why can't the cap be changed for the 4 player game. I see as I choose my game settings, that as I move from 2 to 3 to 4 etc that the cap changes. Why could not for 4 player caps this be done. It makes no sense to me.
aeronautic wrote:
I have discussed this with Psymon and due to the fact that we are moving a Cap for a slightly fairer game-play in 4p. We have decided that we don't need another Caribbean and would prefer to make a different map instead.

We will announce in the Live & Long Term Lobbies when the Cap has been moved so that game creators are aware of it.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
jonboy1967 wrote:
sorry about that. i think i get it. So if the path between islands is changed, it's CHANGED permanently. Got ya. Makes perfect sense.
PsymonStark wrote:
Ok, Georgetown has been set for cap in 4p. Let's see how it works.

No more snugged players!
aeronautic wrote:
Also in 2p, the Jamaica Capital has been moved to Dominican Republic.

To all regular players: Can you please give as much feedback as possible, as this Map will become locked again in 1 week.
rez-i-dent wrote:
Ok. Very difficult to give a good feedback after just one game, but it felt like George Town was a threat in this game. He took the island very quickly and took a strong position, but partly due to D.Rep being quite weak, so its hard to tell if that would be normal. It took him 2 moves to take it and he started first, so that might be a big influence. Plus he had 7 fortify troops from the drop to carry out the second move attack.

With that position he took control of the island and a dominant position. He took out the Caymans a few moves later, which was then difficult to defend because of the cards between us - so I took it off him, starting from the west with my cap. Then D.Rep made a crazy move and I got the win, so its difficult to say how it would have panned out, but it felt like he had a controlling position with his drop - but not so that he had a domination.

In summary Bahamas was in this game and it was a pleasure to see that island group taking part in the game. Massive improvement to the gameplay.