updated August 2013
  • 93 posts
  • Page 3 of 7
-NoXoN- wrote:
So i think is time to update this map. I have some plans for graphic but i would like to know if someone have something to say about gameplay. I wish to make it little bigger, Is it OK if i make some more territories? Maybe we dont need to change capitals.

Any idea how to make something special with gameplay?
Holt wrote:
If I could suggest I would cut out the territories of Florida and make it strictly Carribean. There are more islands that stretch down to South America from Puerto Rico. I would shift the map to include those islands and then maybe the northern parts of South America. You may also include small parts of Central America and Mexico as well. I know Cancun stretches out almost all the way to the Northern tip of Cuba.
-NoXoN- wrote:
Now i saw your posts. i will include more islands but we will see how it looks if i include central america, if map is going to be big then some islands will be very small. thx
Vexer wrote:
I don't think Noxon will ever update this map so I took it upon myself.

It was in desperate need of an update. I decided not to change the gameplay at all because there is a reason why this map is so popular and and gameplay change would probably ruin the map.

I tried to pick a theme that would better match the Caribbean so I went with a light blue ocean background. The map is going to seem bright at first, especially if you are viewing in google chrome, but if you view it in firefox then you'll get a centered image on a dark background similar to what you will see when playing a game on it and it won't see so bright.

So this is where I have been for the last 2 months. Working on this update.

http://www.dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/Caribbean%20Risk%20Map.jpg

What do you think?
Cireon wrote:
Wow, I really like it! Will the same style be applied to the Double Caribbean map?

EDIT: The text might be a tiny bit too hard to read though

EDIT 2: I also like what you did with the border :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Fendi wrote:
I agree with Cireon about the text, but the style is nice.

I have mixed feelings about the dotted connection lines. I'm sure there is something that fits better but if you don't have the time to change them then leave them as they are. Everything else..Nice work!
Vexer wrote:
Well the Caribbean double map needs more than just a graphics update. I need to redo it to include Florida this time so that its number of territories isn't in the unallowed 45-51 range. Currently it has 46 territories which is a big problem for 2-3 player games. But yes I will update it eventually. The lower copy of the map will probably have modified colors and highlights to hint that it's a copy in a parallel universe.
Vexer wrote:
Yeah, the dotted lines are a carry over from the original. I figured I would only change what I had to. This is just the first version of the update so when I have time I can try something else. I'll work with the text a little too.
elysium5 wrote:
I really like those modifications too. Is NoXoN not returning to this site or something?
"Bad Deadpool... Good Deadpool!"
Matty wrote:
It looks like NoXoN is gone for good yes :(
But then we thought that of more ppl who showed up again in the end, so who knows.

The new version is better than the old one, but Im not sure at all about the ocean.

One thing is that it has specks of purple and slimy green on it.
The other thing is that its colour is the same kind of colour as land would be.
If you would choose to make a region light blue, this is exactly the kind of blue you would get.

To me the text is fine, but a bit less transparancy wouldnt hurt.
The minimap numbers however completely don't fit with the other text.

Overall I like the new feeling the map has alot, but I think the ocean is too much present.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
- Reduced some of the detail on the ocean so that it's not so dominant
- Adjusted the ocean color slightly
- Sharpened text outline
- New connection lines
- Matched the mini map text to the Title's style
I'm not sure wow well that works but matching it to the territory labels definitely does not work.

http://www.dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/Caribbean%20Risk%20Map2.jpg
MUNRO wrote:
That Ocean looks so nice. Makes me wanna swim in it.

But where are the sharks?
Thorpe wrote:
I still think the ocean is too much...my eyes are not pulled to the land, but more to the ocean. Love the land texture and colors.

What you did with the text was a good idea...they are there but yet not...works well.

Maybe the briteness of the ocean is the problem or the texture is to much like the land?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Matty wrote:
The ocean certainly looks good, as does the land, but they still look alike alot.

Part of me likes the yellow minimap numbers, but it does look a bit weird, not bad or something, just a little bit weird.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria