• 43 posts
  • Page 3 of 3
Cireon wrote:
Much improved.

Can we get somebody to take a stab at the capital locations perhaps? That tends to be a pretty good indicator to see if the gameplay will work out
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
bmalisewski wrote:
Yeah will do. Somehow overwrote the changes I made yesterday, so re-doing those and then will take a stab at caps
bmalisewski is online.
bmalisewski wrote:
Someone told me to work on the capital locations a while ago and definitely should have listened (might have been you Cireon). Good step to identify how to the map should improve. Realized the islands needed more connections, and added a few bridges to help it.

The other challenge was the lack of connection on the right side of the map, was feeling a bit like dead space, particularly when it came to capital locations. Being someone who enjoys the golf courses around Seattle, I added in 6 of them to function like the airports in NYC - all of them are connected. Will update mini map once the flow is finalized, but wanted to get some initial feedback here before going further. Base map, and capital locations 2-5 embedded below.

[image]

[image]
bmalisewski is online.
Hoodlum wrote:
yes, capital selection is very useful in development of a balanced map for gameplay i have found. not just for capitals games, but for dm games. it's a good step to figuring out where connections, extra territories etc might be needed.
i haven't got too much time to analyse what you have changed, but it is in the right direction. gameplay first.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Rockbert wrote:
looking forward to playing this map!
"A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people."
- Thomas Mann
The_Bishop wrote:
It is getting cool... Perhaps add some more visible textures on the land area and consider <trying> many different colours.
Sea area is great, and the compass rose too. Title is looking cool, but why so dark? This could be my screen maybe.

PLEASE: include images into spoilers otherwise the page become too heavy to load!
My PC takes a few minutes to open page 2, actually.

The standard size for the map image has to be 1024 px's wide!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
dough_boy wrote:
The_Bishop
PLEASE: include images into spoilers otherwise the page become too heavy to load!
My PC takes a few minutes to open page 2, actually.

Putting it into a spoiler has nothing to do with how heavy the page is. The images are always being loaded when in a spoiler, you might not see them, but still being downloaded. His images are almost 2mb in size. Maybe you don't like the page jumping?
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes, page jumping, it must be that, it freezes and cannot scroll until the images are not showing
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
dough_boy wrote:
bmalisewski
Someone told me to work on the capital locations a while ago and definitely should have listened (might have been you Cireon). Good step to identify how to the map should improve. Realized the islands needed more connections, and added a few bridges to help it.

The other challenge was the lack of connection on the right side of the map, was feeling a bit like dead space, particularly when it came to capital locations. Being someone who enjoys the golf courses around Seattle, I added in 6 of them to function like the airports in NYC - all of them are connected.

I am not sure I like the golf courses. It makes the Capitals too close together. Maybe another Caps player can chime in, but being 2-3 away from another Cap doesn't seem good. I am not sure if there is a rule of thumb around how close they should be for 2, 3, 4, etc...
Gengisk wrote:
I think it would make more sense to connect Manchester to west Seattle. Or maybe instead of Blake island, add the northern part of Vashon Island. This would also align closer with the ferry routes.
Raysan53 wrote:
bumping this. All the changes are coming together really nicely and I'd love to play on this map!
Rockbert wrote:
dough_boy
bmalisewski

The other challenge was the lack of connection on the right side of the map, was feeling a bit like dead space, particularly when it came to capital locations. Being someone who enjoys the golf courses around Seattle, I added in 6 of them to function like the airports in NYC - all of them are connected.

I am not sure I like the golf courses. It makes the Capitals too close together. Maybe another Caps player can chime in, but being 2-3 away from another Cap doesn't seem good. I am not sure if there is a rule of thumb around how close they should be for 2, 3, 4, etc...

I play a lot of caps games and agree that it would be ideal to have caps at least 3-5 territories apart. In my humble opinion.
"A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people."
- Thomas Mann