• 43 posts
  • Page 2 of 3
bmalisewski wrote:
Did a pretty significant visual overhaul of the map. Pivoted to a PNW color theme (based on Seattle Mariners), cleaned up bridges, made the anchors much more clear as to which territory they align with, etc. Welcome any and all feedback!

[image]
elysium5 wrote:
Quick impression, and please keep in mind I have zero skills when it comes to design, just want to give an impression like looking at a flash card:

Love the entire header and the mini-map key.

I also like the ocean texture and NSEW Compass.

The ports themselves are a little hard to see and the land masses need some sort of texture.

This is a very good beginning.

Maybe base the colour scheme just a little more on the Kraken instead of the Mariners. That's just the Hockey homer in me btw;)
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
pygmyhippo277 wrote:
elysium5
Quick impression, and please keep in mind I have zero skills when it comes to design, just want to give an impression like looking at a flash card:

Love the entire header and the mini-map key.

I also like the ocean texture and NSEW Compass.

The ports themselves are a little hard to see and the land masses need some sort of texture.

This is a very good beginning.

Maybe base the colour scheme just a little more on the Kraken instead of the Mariners. That's just the Hockey homer in me btw;)
I completely agree
Eat my dust.
bmalisewski wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Kraken theme was a good call, more balance and I like the red. Plus I hope you notice the anchors are very similar to the Kraken logo :)

Updated colors, added texture, and moved the anchors inside the territory to make it a bit easier to take in.

[image]
dough_boy wrote:
Just a few comments.

1. The text is really hard to read in places (where it goes over the ocean, and the light green area
2. The ports are still hard to determine what is connected where, and if it is dark green or black
3. The border lines on the dark blue regions are hard to see
4. It has been a while since I have seen the bonus formula, but I think some might need to be tweaked - generally it is a last step

Another thing to consider with so many jumps is how game play would be for say capitals. Might want to look into that sooner than later to make sure you can accommodate the right number of capitals.
bmalisewski wrote:
Appreciate the thoughts. A few further updates in this round of edits

[image]
dough_boy wrote:
Better. "Discovery Park" is still hard to read.

Also your two anchors at the top, one appears lime green, the other white.

What about putting the anchors on a neutral circle? So maybe a circle of white or gray, then add the anchor over it. This way it will stand out? Also some maps have the port next to the territory and not on it. So you could overhang a neutral circle.

Looking good!
bmalisewski wrote:
Yeah Discovery Park is going to be a tricky one. Will keep messing with it. Really good idea on the neutral circles. Adjusted that here and I think it is a much cleaner and easier look!

[image]
dough_boy wrote:
Much better. Maybe make the discovery park territory just slightly bigger? And, or, swap the circle and the text.
Cireon wrote:
Did you double check all the dimensions against the spec that we provide in this post (specifically "image size and format" section)?

I resized the map to the standard map size on this website, and applied the territory circle to them at the expected size, and they look much much bigger in comparison:

[image]

Additionally, I think the red one is very hard to see over the red regions. The other regions seem to be alright, but the red probably has to become a different colour.

Finally, this map is really not colour-blind friendly because of the different coloured ports, and while I understand the choice for icons for the red and maybe white anchors, the grey and cyan anchors feel like they should be connector lines in some sense, because it removes a lot of complexity from the map and makes it much more scannable. Are there any strong reasons to keep those icons as they are? With two different anchors we could make them light and dark, and make them colour blind friendly, or use different patterns. That's a bit harder with 4 different ones.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
bmalisewski wrote:
Thought so but good to know it is not aligning. Will dig into it tonight.
Cireon
Did you double check all the dimensions against the spec that we provide in this post (specifically "image size and format" section)?

I resized the map to the standard map size on this website, and applied the territory circle to them at the expected size, and they look much much bigger in comparison:

[image]

Additionally, I think the red one is very hard to see over the red regions. The other regions seem to be alright, but the red probably has to become a different colour.

Finally, this map is really not colour-blind friendly because of the different coloured ports, and while I understand the choice for icons for the red and maybe white anchors, the grey and cyan anchors feel like they should be connector lines in some sense, because it removes a lot of complexity from the map and makes it much more scannable. Are there any strong reasons to keep those icons as they are? With two different anchors we could make them light and dark, and make them colour blind friendly, or use different patterns. That's a bit harder with 4 different ones.
Hoodlum wrote:
i haven't gone thru much of the thread, but a quick observation that needs to be fixed on the latest image.
the north regions (left and right) are the same colour and can look like one huge region. as the anchors connect them. you might want to switch one of their colours for clarity.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
bmalisewski wrote:
Appreciate all the feedback. A few changes in this one:
 - troop circles updated to the right size
 - changed the red color to make it have more contrast vs. the red troops
 - removed the ports between Sandpoint and Kirkland. Not there in real life, anyway :) adjusted the region bonus formula accordingly (i think)
 - made the remaining 3 port icons far more differentiated, I think this is easier on the eye (good call Cireon)
 - changed the north region color so it's clear that it is different from the north island territory

[image]