Map submission
  • 73 posts
  • Page 1 of 5
Hoodlum wrote:
Philippines (click to show)

Philippines

09 Regions
35 Territories

Philippines was trialed before, but I wanted to give it a try myself. process developed up till this point on the map dabble thread
To do this, the map had to be rotated for viewing suitability (non-scroll) as the country is vertical in world map shape.

Islands that extended further south (Bangsamoro Ilsands), are displayed in a box frame as you would find on a real map.

To help with this, compass and lat/long lines were added and the oversized minimap to help it to be recognizeable as the Philippines.
Overall after these were added the map formed an old map style effect, and continued to develop with this style with advice as the game play was sorted

Cultural representation.
The add ons such as the motto (Togalog/English/Baybayin script) and 8 ray sun and 3 stars, were to help fill up left ocean space. The stars represent the 3 main island groups
Luzon / Visayas / Mindanao. The 8 ray sun represents the country's first group of provinces, 8 of them, that started the 1896 Philippine Revolution against Spain.
Sun and Stars are on the P.I Flag. The script in the sun is Baybayin, which is an ancient pre-colonial Philippine writing system.

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Vexer wrote:
I don't like the yellow region. I'm not a big fan of yellow on any map though. It might be better if you adjust the hue a little bit away from green and toward red.

I also don't like color of the region bonuses. If you want them to stand out less, instead of changing the color, try using pure white but lower the opacity maybe 10%.
Hoodlum wrote:
colour edits (click to show)

Yellow hue changed.
Bonus colour changed white PDN Opacity decrease from 255 (maximum) to 225 approx 10%. Bonus font changed to same font as rest of map too.
Vexer wrote:
Hmm, the bonuses are still a bit bright. Try adjusting the opacity down some more.

The yellow looks better.

There's not a whole lot left to say. You started this thread after the map was mostly done.
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)
bonus numbers at 200 PDN.
Hoodlum wrote:
layers organized
spell check done
capitals selection attempt (what a headache)

capitals attempt (click to show)
template for capitals placement (click to show)
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

Experimental changes.

Font changed
drawn style frame
Hoodlum wrote:
Grapic tweaks. grimier frame edge. slight Simple mountain type texture based on topography

specifically nutted out 2-5 player cap positions

Caps 2-5 (click to show)

Caps 6-9 (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
Could we possibly see the map without the caps on, they are not allowing us to see the full detail and theme of the map itself?

I assume there are some changes?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
raw image (click to show)
not a lot of changes just tweaks here and there of things mentioned above.
Wouldn't mind a tutorial on how to use the layer system in photoshop.it's just doin' my head in, that I can't find a good one. (ALL PDN)
naathim wrote:
I think this is good to go.

I've only go two quibbles. Sarangani, Sorsogon and Batangas seem shoehorned in with their names, let alone the territory circles.

Mindanao's blue seems a little too intense.

That mini-map I think is one of the best I've ever seen. (Just noticed, the bottom half of Palwan seems more heavily outlined in the mini-map than the top half. I'm assuming that's the part that's cut off, but just thought I'd mention it).

Looking forward to playing on this ^^
aeronautic wrote:
Map looks good and reminds me of an early merchant map.

Labels Text:
The ones that are pure black look too false, Mindoro is a good reference point to aim for the right tone.
Where text is in two lines, decrease the gap as they look too separated... Compostela Valley for example, looks like it is referencing two territories... Negros Oriental is another.. etc etc.
Extra to what naathim said, Bangsamoro islands in mini map has heavier outline too.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
emjaydee wrote:
Does it need a box around the Bangsamoro islands - it's very distracting.
In Calabarzon are the territory dividers different colours to the territory outline? They look silver compared to black elsewhere.
Hoodlum wrote:
all colours text/borders are actually the same to each other, they may appear different probably with the tones around them. to me there is an appearance of black or a brownish burgundy difference text/borders. Some text has a slight highlight colour behind them especially ones sitting on the background (off land). Palawan island has a thicker border due to having to cut off the main map shrinking it to make the mini. The recolouring/rotating/resizing changes over the process is challenging when making the inset. i think i can figure a way to thin a bit of the thick parts out. I think the box is gonna stay emjaydee, it is there to help with recognizing that those islands aren't in it's natural location and the islands are displayed horizontally to help with map dimensions. will work on text spacing and try to make the colours seem matching event though they are the same :)
Hoodlum wrote:
previous for comparison (click to show)

fix ups (click to show)

Inset V. Visayas border thinned down. Bit of a colour dim on Mindanao.  Naathim

-10 on the label transparnecy, to dim the extra darkness that some text was showing,
closed the gap space in two-line labels. Aero

Gave Calabarzon territory lines some extra opacity to fix that colour difference effect it was showing on the region colour. MJD
Spell Check (click to show)