Map submission
  • 73 posts
  • Page 2 of 5
aeronautic wrote:
for reference (click to show)
Labels are much better.
I don't know if it's an illusion, but the compass in mini map looks slightly rotated anti-clockwise?

This is also darker than the main board compass.

The quick method I use to measure, if gridlines or measuring tools are not available, (on a new layer) draw a box from the map edge to one part then move it down to another part and see if they both touch it.

I know there is not much feedback here Hood, but that is probably because you met most concerns and suggestions while you were building the map in the practise thread.
Almost everything you have done to date has been remarked on and accepted by the advisers.

I will continue to develop it with you though, until it becomes the best it can be.

The key is, small adjustments to see the results before tackling other things.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
I don't want to repeat myself but I think labels would benefit of an outline that enables them to be overlapping the territories. At the moment Sultan Kudarat is difficult to read because of that. And on a glance, I can't tell if Compostela Valley is the territory above or below the label, and Sarangani is quite far too. Batangas or Sorsogon would benefit too of that dramatically. Cagayan seems too empty. Also, Sulu and Basilan are too close to the island, put the labels below, above, below the islands as there is more space.

A small thing, move the 125ºE label a little to the right, it's now almost overlapping the line. And extend a little bit the 120ºE line at Ilocos, the rest of the lines fade much closer to the land.

Have you tried giving a cream tone to the bonus numbers, instead of grey? I think it would be more fitting to the looks of the map. Similar to the sun.

Edit, could you try to reduce a bit saturation in the green region? It's quite dominant as it is now.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Hoodlum wrote:
(click to show)
Inset compass rotated a bit and reduced opacity to match main compass. (aero)

Gave the territory labels an outline, (sun logo colour) and moved the suggested labels in positions

120ºE long lat line extended + 125ºE label moved

Bonus numbers are the same colour as the sun logo

Green, region dimmed down (psymon)

*connection line palawan/mindoro less sharp (noxon)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
The_Bishop wrote:
It looks finished for my eyes. Nice work, even a better look in my opinion compared to the East Indies.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
A couple of little things, the box around Bangsamoro Islands on the main map, it is missing its bottom edge and also overlapping the map edge binding. It should be placed on about 5 pixels short of the bottom edge.

There is a kink in the Line of Latitude just before the 15 degrees North.

My general thoughts on this map: It looks quite old and could quite easily be believed to be a trading map that would have been utilised by the USA in the lead up to their involvement in WWI, when strategic maps were in short supply. You can imagine it on the desk of a planning room where allied nations are discussing strategic control points & ports, local resources and supply points for a pending involvement in the war. This was also the exact moment when discussion for Filipino independence was on the table and was halted due to a need for more US controlled troop support from this country.
You can imagine pins in the map showing where German merchant ships are at anchor and the planning to seize them under the guise of a monsoon hazard, but arresting their crews for movement to US internment camps and using their ships for local trading with China & Japan and for supplying US troops.
For people with an interest in the first technological war, this may well raise some interest.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

box bottom lined to 5 pixels from the bottom edge. kink in long/lat line straightened.

The circa 1900 theme is quite appropriate. since Philippines declaration of independence was proclaimed in 1898. Thanks for the guidance with this theme aero, turned out better than i imagined i could do.
Vexer wrote:
I'm pretty happy with the recent changes. But I think the compass in the mini map still looks darker.

The label for the Bandsamoro Islands in the mini map need to be lowered a couple pixels.

The wavy lines texture is a little bit more noticeable in the pink region. I think you should separate that region out into it's own layer and drop the opacity slightly.
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

Opacity drops for compass, E.Visayas terrain lines.

Bangsamoro Island label shifted a couple of pixels
naathim wrote:
Lettuce leaf Hoodlum alone and lettuce play the map!! :D

Nah, just kidding, the glow around Quezon (especially), Zambales, and Manila is different, or more noticeable anyhow, than elsewhere?

This is a NITPICK, it is in no way a problem:

The inset box...On the mini-map it touches the bottom of the yellow Bangsamoro region. That kind of doesn't look quite right to me. And then on the main map I feel like the inset should be shortened on the right by a substantial margin. The proportions between what is shown on the mini-map and what is shown in the inset aren't correct I don't think. And I think that may be what bugs me about it :P

I feel sometimes like this is our feedback method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvhFs2bdRpE

I'm the one with the big feather. 'BAAAAAALzac!'
Hoodlum wrote:
nitpicks (click to show)

The inset box is a tough edit, trying to get the right angle.
I opted with making it the same angle as Palawan long island
and had to shift the inset islands a bit, otherwise it kept giving
a weird illusion that the box was not an even rectangle.

The main box was also re-drawn/resized to naathims comment

Tawi-Tawi label shifted to the right.

I hadn't noticed Quezon looked brighter, but after you mentioned it, it was bugging me lol. It has something to do
with the background, as all the labels had the exact glow.
I just did a new text without a background for Quezon.
PsymonStark wrote:
It's very notorious how Quezon has no background now, check with Aurora for example.

The pink islands in the minimap look jagged.

Could you move the "Aguson del" label a pixel or two to the right?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

worked on trying to get those islands not jagged, was tuff as they are small.

quezon i gave it a slight background in this edit, not sure if it's noticeable

moved Aguson
HammerTime wrote:
Hoodlum...the more i play this jem of a map the more i like it :)iam a fan of small maps,like to fight it tight quarters on a balanced map such as this one is,i find the playabilty on this map to be awesome.

Excelent job Hoodlum!! this map has worked its way onto my fav list;)
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
aeronautic wrote:
It hasn't been released for playing yet!
naathim wrote:
LOLOLOL @ Hammer

I think your re-done inset is much better Hood. More even and better ratio'd.

Yeah, idk what was up with Quezon, I figured you had the glow the same throughout, but it did just kind of stand out a bit. I think you've got it evened up in this latest version.