Map Creation
  • 230 posts
  • Page 11 of 16
Matty wrote:
@Suspiacho: Don't be sorry to be a bit negative. Aero is wise enough to be able to handle it, for the cause of improving the map. For that negative comments help much more than all the positive 'wow' comments (although it's of course nice to have them).
Just make sure to be constructive while commenting negtively, which you are :)

@Aero: I had to look up the meaning of garish, but yes, it's a good description.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Yes Matty is right, never feel bad about putting negative feedback on maps as long as you are being objective & constructive, it really does help, even if not directly with the actual suggestions, at least by getting a feel for if the map is taking the right direction and map makers who want the map to be the best it can be will welcome such feedback, hence my rethink on the map. I stop and step back to look from outside the project when the vibe tells me to do so, plus I start to compare to other maps to see which wrong direction it took.
We have the dilemma of the shape of territories and also the enclosed shape of the game area, which when these colours and tones are used, make it way too cheesy looking.
This is what you get when you take a wrong turn near the beginning of the development.
I will strip the map down and start the build again in a different direction and if the vibe feels right, we can develop it from there.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
I have altered everything at least a little, but the main thing is a total redo on the colours and the stark contrast.
Texas 12 for reference (click to show)
Texas 13 without labels (click to show)
Texas 13 (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
Im sorry, don't have that much time now.

It's a dusty and pale map, which is good. Not fan of the minimap or title. The minimap seems to glow a bit - maybe it's because of the numbers.

Late, but... What was the wording used for ports on all the other maps? Not something like: "all sherif posts can attack each other"?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
4960epic wrote:
Yes but matty, are sheriff posts really supposed to be attacking each other?
aeronautic wrote:
Matty is on holiday (vacation) now, but I addressed his graphic concerns as well as evened out the colour tone of the territories and neutral lines.
I don't believe that there is an exact wording for port type connections, apart from a wording that is understandable for players and that we should keep to the fact that territories that can attack each other are "connected", so I am happy with the wording on this Key.
Texas 13 (click to show)
Texas 14 (click to show)
If there are no concerns with the map, I am at last quite happy with the look being suitable to the theme and the colour scheme & tone being suitable for D12, I would be happy for this map to go to Beta?
It would be handy if Psymon, Vexer or Fendi gave the okay for that though as I am the artist on this map.
naathim wrote:
Other than the light color in the numbers on the minimap, which I'm guessing is just a layer that got forgotten, I think it's really beautiful and ready to go.

Only quibble. Did you see if the Texan flag in the red region looked any good on this version? Since you have the Mexican flag on there, it really needs the Texan one to balance. I'd say it's either both or neither.

Great work Aero!
aeronautic wrote:
See in Texas 13, Matty said the mini map was sort of glowing and it was the bright numbers that were causing it so I coloured them the same as the regions which are the same contrast and tone as the main map.
Do you think I should brighten them again, or perhaps I should darken their colour so that they at least look filled?

The Texas flag looked a bit too overwhelming with the subtle colours, so I will try it with almost invisible opacity and if it doesn't work, I'll remove the Mexican flag.
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks Psymon, as you'll see above they are filled, but with a similar colour to their region, perhaps I'll darken the colours to give more of a distinctive look.
Can I ask you to be the Head Honcho for this map?
You let us know when it is ready for Beta!
naathim wrote:
Yeah, they just look a little empty there. Fill them up with something ;)

Put some cream in and make a cannoli!
aeronautic wrote:
I darkened the colours of the numbers in the mini map, but I also changed that crazy font to the same as the labels, which I think is more readable & more suitable and I darkened the mini map slightly to make it glow less. The Texas flag is back, but a lot less opaque and I put a little antialiasing on the images in the key.
Texas 14 (click to show)
Texas 15 (click to show)
naathim wrote:
Good enough for me. I think the flags look good Aero.

This is just awfully nice! Hopefully it'll be a popular map for the big games.