Map Creation
  • 230 posts
  • Page 8 of 16
aeronautic wrote:
I thought that too when making the graphics, but I'm not sure, it might have been set as 2 because it has a Portal (Sheriff Post) and can be attacked by so many other territories?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
For Reference (click to show)

Even if Amarillo can be attacked by so many, it should still be a +1.
Compare it with the purple region just below it - if they are both worth +2, how can this be fair, with one region needing to defend 2 territories and the other region needing to defend 4 territories?
I think the Amarillo bonus was a mistake and should be changed to a +1.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

The_Bishop wrote:
I agree with Virtuosity, +2 is too much. In comparison the purple region next to it would deserve a +3.

If you want you can adjust things like: yellow +1, purple +3 and the sheriff post to be moved in the purple region (Deaf Smith for example)

Dallas region seems more like a +4.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
Yeh, you're probably both right, there were a few things that were intended to be changed, but got forgotten. With such a big map to create and organise, I can understand that.

I just need naathim to come online and confirm the changes.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
naathim wrote:
I agree with the bonus changes to Amarillo region. Although if you do, I would change the Deaf Smith region to +3. The goal there is to let someone build up a super-region with those three regions. 4 borders, +5 bonus. Plus the +3 is a lot more fair and would equalize it with the other 4 territory/4 border region in the south central part of the map.

About moving the port to the purple region . It would make the superregion more fair in comparison to the other potential superregions. But we had to dick around so much trying to get all those ports into the territories with the cities in them. Hate to see that lost, nice symmetry :/ But gameplay is more important.

In case it is decided to move it, to stick with the city=port theme, rename Deaf Smith to Hereford or Randall to Canyon. Either one of those I think would work well in case the port is moved out of Amarillo. I think putting it in Deaf Smith would be a better choice than Randall. Makes the ports more evenly spaced that way.

Not sure about Dallas. Would the Zapata region to the south have to change as well? They're same size/border number. Although with that one, there's an easier way to expand without opening up too many more borders. I'm fine either way, but thought I would point that out.

For Oil Derrick what about Sandhills and for Wichita (north central green) maybe Lake Arrowhead or Ranch Country.
The_Bishop wrote:
Well then okay I think we all agree Armarillo region +1 (yellow) and Randall region +3 (purple). And keep the sheriff port in Armarillo, I proposed to move it to compasate a bit the bonus if it was seen too high, but as you said is a +3 like the other region in the south, then it's okay.

I don't know about Zapata region in the South, same number of territories and borders of Dallas region in NE but the latter is a bit harder to conquer for his shape and it is bordering with 10 other regions and it is not involved in superegional development since it deserve +4 for me. And Zapata region basically can stay also +3, a tiny bit low but the southern superregion there is already a +8 defensible bonus, I wouldn't raise it more. Or also +4, as you feel is better.

«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
If you don't mind my input, the part of the reef with real volume (close to Goliad and Calhoum) looks very weird without a differentiating colour. I would use the neutral land colour.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Please all check that I have met all your concerns & suggestions?
Also, can naathim check Dallam spelling because of this in the region names list "Dalham region - Dalhart"?
Texas 5 (click to show)
Texas 6 (click to show)
naathim wrote:
The spelling is correct. Dallam is the county. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallam_County,_Texas

Dalhart is the county seat of Dallam county.
https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Dalhart,_Texas

Really good catch though aero!

Can't believe how good it looks! How you were able to fit those labels in, black magic!

For Lamar territory in Texarkana (northeast) maybe the label and territory circle would look better switched?

Just absolutely wonderful!
aeronautic wrote:
I am viewing this on a 1024 X 768 resolution monitor now and the Region Labels are blurring a little. I will turn these to a crisp setting tonight... I'll use my "Black Magic" :)
aeronautic wrote:
I keep looking at this map and the stage it's at and I don't know... It's just not graphically right.

I will keep this version and the source file separate, but would you mind if I played with it a bit more naathim?
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Obviously this is a tough case, but we need to start considering capitals positions!
I would say that still the skull doesn't fit in - I think it's because it's a photographic image, when the rest of the map isn't. Also, maybe the minimap labels would look better if they were more grey like the territory labels.
I just noticed the faint Texas flag in the middle red region! :):D:roll:
I love it!
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

aeronautic wrote:
Thanks V98, it shows that you have the right mind for game maps and are picking up on the right things. The things you picked up were some of the things I altered pretty much as you have deemed necessary.
Thanks for inputting the majority of the map, I haven't been in to the Cartographer Panel to look yet, I just popped in to read the bonus changes that You, Bishop & naathim agreed on so that I can change them before uploading the new updated map.
Oh! I already did them on Texas 6 ^^
Texas 6 (click to show)
Texas 7 (click to show)
(Edit): I have uploaded Texas 7 as the temporary map & placed the territory circles, this allowed me to spell check the map as well.
When you have some more time V98, the adjacencies need doing.... this is a long task and works best if you write them all down in a notepad first.
@naathim, I forgot to switch Lamar with the circle position. If you still think it's necessary when you see the actual circle in the Cartographer Panel, let me know and I'll swap them on the next update.
Matty wrote:
I haven't commented on this map at all, sorry for that.
It's partly because I think all USA maps are ugly: they have a weird tendency to make all lines straight, and then suddenly go squigglish all of a sudden. Also because I really should be busy with other things.

Apart from that it was a bit dark and dusty, which fits the texas theme, but is a bit ugly. Glad you fixed it though.

I think you've gone the right way with the placing of the key. And yes, I also agree with someone above that the line-islands in the coast look really weird. Maybe bolden them a bit, so that they can get some colour at places (like one of the 'fatter' islands in the middle or top).

I'm confused about the 'Alamo' thing in Bexar, what's it doing? It's not on the key...
Also, why do the authors (and year) in the bottom right have different colours?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria