Map Creation
  • 230 posts
  • Page 7 of 16
naathim wrote:
I don't envy you trying to get all those colors into differing tones. There's so MANY!! lol

The only big issue I got, which I'm sure is one of the things you're going to fix, is the green/orange/purple mix up in the panhandle. It kind of sticks out a bit since that's the only orange.

I THINK this will be the unbackgrounded cow skull, it's a png at least!! If not let me know, cause it took me like an hour to find it the first time lol:

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/36cbaede

As long as there's a key, I don't think the train stations would be that confusing? Although I guess the concern is people wouldn't recognize them for what they are? Wagons work good for me too, I just proposed that as an alternative.
aeronautic wrote:
@naathim: It was the transparent one, thanks.
Did some colour enhancing, sorted the river outlines, added bridges, changed "1836" font, adjusted lots of region colours ( especially in "Panhandle" ) & blended rivers to sea & neutral land.
Maybe some other stuff... can't remember.
Texas 3 for reference (click to show)
Texas 4 (click to show)
Texas Colour Test (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
naathim wrote:
I think that's looking pretty good Aero! The river's are nice! The colors look pretty good to me.

Is the mini-map a little brighter than the rest? I'm probably just imagining it lol. Some of the region borders to stick out a bit on the mini map though. I think it's just because of the colors that are next to each other though.

LOL I love the cow skull. I don't know if it really is as sleek as the rest of the map, but it's awesome anyhow!!
aeronautic wrote:
I've done the labels and put right the border thickness's, but can't upload yet as my wife killed our home Internet, while doing some DIY.

One thing to note is the (airports) stations were chosen on some of the smallest territories. I am really struggling to fit them in.

Perhaps we could come up with something different..
What about Sheriff badges or something?

I have also placed a small fort where the Alamo is located, it doesn't play any part in the game, but I thought it might be relevant?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
naathim wrote:
Uh oh, sorry to hear about the interwebz.

That was a concern of mine when doing the rough draft, jb wanted the airports in the major cities, which was fine, but like you said, some of those are in the smaller territories, and I didn't know how you were going to fit all that in, with the troop circle, the image, and the label.

I think the sheriff badge idea is fine, or at least it sounds fine. Maybe a key somewhere listing all the connected territories? Well, no just a regular key saying the badges means the territories are connected should be fine.

I think a fort at the Alamo is fine.
aeronautic wrote:
As you know I have gone for a dusty Wild West theme based on the period of the Alamo (Mexican-American War 1836), with the new borders of Mexico to the South West and the Indian Reservations to the North East.
This is the year that Texas became a country and was known as The Republic of Texas, just before it joined the United States of America. At this time, only less than half of the modern USA had formed and Spain still controlled most southern, all central and all western areas of North America (South of Canada).
I have added the rest of the details to the map, keeping all the map colour scheme & tone that naathim & The_Bishop preferred.
I have utilised Sheriff Posts as connections (as suggested above) and made the guide Key like a "Wanted Poster".
The region borders have been worked on to make them more uniform.
The mini map, was/is an exact miniature replica of the main map, so any colour or tone difference is just an illusion (dependant on surrounding colours).
I have utilised as many graphic items as possible from naathim's drafts and the bonuses and game-play are exactly as naathim developed.
Texas 4 (click to show)
Texas 5 (click to show)
Hoodlum wrote:
nice!!!! theme,color, look.. works for me.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
naathim wrote:
I think it looks really good aero!

Especially like the font!

Two things for the names, which is my fault. Brazaria, I kept forgetting to change, is Brazoria. O instead of A.

JB wanted the 'port' territories set in big cities, with the labels reflecting those names. The one in 'DFW' isn't actually in a city, cause the gameplay didn't really support it. 'DFW' is short for Dallas-Fort Worth, the name of the airport and the name of the general region surrounding those two cities. You might want to rename the territory 'Denton'. It's a largish town in that actual territory as well as a county in that territory.

Spotted another. In the largest central red region, the territory is Bandera instead of Brandera, drop the R. I'll go through later and triple check all the spellings lol.

But it does look great!
aeronautic wrote:
@naathim: No problem, I'll change these tonight, I will also try to fit the region names on.
Could you recheck the region names and make sure they are still relevant to the time period? I see one that might need changing "Oil Derrick", oil was not discovered in North America for another 23 years.
Region Names (click to show)

(Edit): What I'd also like to know is, if anyone thinks this map should be more modern looking with a more vivid colour scheme?
The only problem I see is that Texas has a limited battle history and even had very little conflict in all post Mexican-American wars apart from supplies and resources.
The map can be changed graphically to suit the modern Texas.

I would not want a map that has so much 9p+ potential being avoided because of its theme or look.
So, I would like a bit of honesty from all regular map people and I will make the changes if this map is not working for the community?
Virtuosity98 wrote:
My comments:

The overall look is great, I love the colours and textures of the playable area.
The font is perfect.
I like the style of the key and minimap.
I like the faint images on the non-playable area.

I would get rid of the almost line-like islands (if that's even what they are) along the coast - I feel like they look bad because they have no colour, being too thin. Maybe the two which are thick enough to have a colour could stay, but these should be coloured according to their nearest regions, not left with the same colour as the sea.

I think the pictures on the key could be enlarged slightly. And maybe the bottom two could be given a tiny border.

For me, the title could be improved slightly. It's not bad, but I think that the skull doesn't really blend with the title... ? I don't really know.

Finally, the non-playable area on the very East of the map (where Louisiana is) has far less texture than the rest of the non-playable area. Even if this reflects the actual landscape, it draws my eye to it. Maybe some more texture could be added here.

Overall though, it's clear that this is almost ready now.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

The_Bishop wrote:
I think it's so cool, who would never avoid it bcoz of its look or theme? But okay everybdoy can have his opinion, let's see what the others think.

Some remarks from Virtuos seem correct. The lagoon reef or how you call it doesn't look ultracool but i think it must stay if it is realistic, but the non colored parts should have a colour, even neutral colour maybe.
And the skull was ultracool in the first version but now looks a bit weird, maybe you can try to move it from the title, let say over the heads of the Indian horsemen for example.

Good point on the Mexico flag but if we want to be precis the eagle was different in the 1836 version, the flag of Mexican Republic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Mexico#/media/File:Flag_of_Mexico_(1823-1864,_1867-1893).svg
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
Some good points, thanks guys, I have a few things that can improve the map now.

I have been trying to find an image fitting to the east neutral area as extra texture, so I will continue that quest.

I will add the early Mexican flag, thanks for the image.

I will fill in the reef with neutral colour, something I hadn't got around to.

I will move the skull to a more fitting place.

I'll play with the images for the Key.

Also, region labels must be added.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Also, I think the Amarillo region bonus is meant to be a +1 not a +2. :)
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).