Map Creation
  • 230 posts
  • Page 10 of 16
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I agree with Matty.
Texas9 (click to show)
Texas10 (click to show)
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Stacy_T wrote:
To me map 9 is the best. If I had any suggestion at all. I know I am knew here. The tarrant county might should be named Ft. Worth. Otherwise with the limitations, this map looks very good to me. I am a Texas resident.
naathim wrote:
Eeps, sorry aero, I meant to say a more uneven texture instead of background to help diversify the colors :/

I think the mini-map looks better with just the bonuses and no name labels.

I'm cool with renaming Tarrant as Ft. Worth.

The region colors do look more diversified, which is pretty good! But Matty's got a good point.

Don't like the super bolded region borders. Mostly cause it seems to stick out on some more than others.

We'll get there...eventually :P
aeronautic wrote:
I guess it was a little too harsh a change. I have redone it between the two versions because Texas 9 just looks too falsely coloured to me and hopefully this time I have neutralised the dead zone but still kept a dusty feel. I have made all the changes below in order to meet all the suggestions made plus others that I felt it needed. By making the changes in Texas 10, it helped to remove myself from what I felt was a wrong path and rethink the colour scheme and balance.
I recoloured the sea,
added transition to the sea,
enhanced the texture & land colours,
got rid of the skull and lower BG image,
changed Tarrant to Ft.Worth,
redrawn the region border lines,
removed the labels from the mini map,
redone the mini map to be an exact copy of the main map,
made a new Title,
recoloured and enhanced the key BG,
recoloured the island chain,
moved the Mexican flag,
moved the signatures,
reduced the sharpness of the BG texture (topography),
recoloured the Key images,
reblended the river to sea transition,
and enhanced the sea texture... perhaps more but there's too many changes to think of.
Texas9 (click to show)
Texas10 (click to show)
Texas11 (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
naathim wrote:
It's definitely different. I can't say as I like it, overall, more than version 9.

It's not the BLENDING of the transition between the gulf and the rivers that's the problem. It's that they're different colors. At least to me. The waters should all be the same colors. Although you really nailed the transition, excellent work there.

Don't care for the 'purple' gulf waters lol On my desktop computer it's almost lavender!

Really not digging the Mexican flag in the background on 11. It just looks out of place to me. Definitely preferred the version 9 layout with the battle scene more centered and the flag up and to the sides better. Still got the idea across well and just looked better overall.

The title is better. Still not quite there maybe? Maybe try and put the bullet hole in the middle of the X lol!

Not a big fan of the background texture in general. Too uneven. Idk if it's a real life terrain map or what, but eh. It wasn't so bad in version 9 because there was more stuff covering it up, but it just doesn't look good highly contrasted by itself.

Eh tldr, Turn the saturation down some to lighten it up a bit, match gulf and river colors, keep background images the same as on 9.

Just keep in mind the maps don't have to be perfect! All the nitpicking in the world won't make something that everyone will like. You could upload 11 as is and it'd still be a great looking, popular map I think. Good job aero and thanks for all your work!
Matty wrote:
The colours look more balanced in 11 than in 9, but overall 11 is way too dark I think.

And I agree with naathim.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
supiachao wrote:
 I think 11 will be too bright for long game play, it looks really nice, but since this is a big map, and possibly will be needing to stare at it for hours (live game), your eyes will be tired faster.
I prefer 9, it is more subtle, the colour blend together nicely and imo I think, it will be one map that you will like it more the more you look at it.

Others might be more catchy but I think #9 has it edge on the long run.
The colours really look good for me, too bright might affect game play (subconsciously). 

Regarding the primary-ness of the region colours, I think it's a good thing, you don't reAlly want to have to differentiate toO Many colors considering there are many regions, you just need for each region to be distinguishable to allow an good game play, not too much to distract you. 

P.S. I'm writing from my 🍜 phone and it is giving me a hard time.
farspaceplace wrote:
like number 10 actually, except: the TEXAS title should 2 more have bullet holes and a bright longskull somewhere (in the top, or just below / above the Texas title).
the mexican flag should be brightly colored andthe nice backdrop pic in south west of map should def be there.
they r all good however, but i would keep the sw backdrop pic on any of them, along w bright mex flag.
Also the KEY poster could prehaps have a faint greyish image of a picture in the classic "wanted dead or alive style"?
aeronautic wrote:
I have made a version of Texas 9 with what I think were the concerns and suggestions, plus some personal adaptations.
Texas12 (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
supiachao wrote:
It reminds me of two things, Lego and Tetris.
I wish the title can stand out more from the background.
aeronautic wrote:
I can't do anything about the shape of the counties and their borders without making a non-geographic map and Matty & I have already said that we don't like the shape of USA borders, they are mostly straight lines.

I don't want that to influence the development of the map though.
Matty wrote:
This is the first one that is really better than the old 9 version.
I like the darkness, which is not too light and not too dark. I like the colour of the sea.

The background colour of the key seems to fit better with 11 than with 12. Not that it looks bad, but it looks, well, not red, in comparison with the background.

What's everyone thinking? Is the title better with or without bullet holes? They might be a bit cheesy, but I kinda like them...
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Virtuosity98 wrote:
This is the best version yet. I never really liked the bullet holes, but I accepted them. Perhaps the sea is a tiny bit too bright, but maybe not - It may be that I'm simply not used to the change.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

supiachao wrote:
Sorry, don't mean to complain negatively with that comment that is just what I thought.
I prefer the title to stand out a little more, not sure if you want it not to block the horsemen on purpose or not, but if you are keeping this transparency for the horsemen I think I look better to place the title slightly higher and a darker colour. If not reducing the transparency of the horsemen and adding a browse border to the title might also help.

Just my suggestion. 👍 job.
aeronautic wrote:
There has been far too much cheesiness with this map so far, I can only put it down to how little attention I have paid, be it my increased hours at work or whatever, but it definitely needs a rethink. The colours are too garish and saturated.
I will be making changes soon and will develop it from there.