A Confused Fight
  • 152 posts
  • Page 1 of 11
aeronautic wrote:
This map is suitable for up to 9 players as it has 81 territories.

There are no special functions required, it is completely normal.

It was hand drawn from a suggestion of an 81 territory map by The_Bishop in the Suggestions Thread.

I will make specific maps soon, but this is one I have thrown together in order to try and get some sort of positive feedback to the suitability of my maps.

If I am going wrong anywhere, I would like to know before I create intricate, specific maps.

http://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/frame/Melee%20Flattened.jpg

No place names have been added yet, in case it is completely scrapped!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
lifeinpixels wrote:
I'm not a huge fan simply because it has no shape; the whole land mass is one big blob. I have similar feelings about Westeros, though that map is a little better. I like world expanded a lot because there are well defined regions (the continents) which adds much more variety in the importance of a given territory.
aeronautic wrote:
Shape was not an issue for me here, I merely wanted to create an 81 territory map with easy to see boundaries for the purpose of anything up to 9 players Deathmatch or 8 players Capitals where if you like a challenge, the aptly named Melee will task your mind.

I don't mind negative feedback, it helps to hone the craft.

It is nothing like the sort of maps I have planned, which will be intricate and defined, it is purely functional and adequate in my eyes, like many other maps on the site.

I too dislike Westeros for a similar reason, but my dislike is the complication of connection throughout and the height of the map.

Keep the feedback coming, so I can get started on an Italy / Middle East map.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Vexer wrote:
Numerous 4 corners problems. Regions too hard to defend.
lifeinpixels wrote:
Vexer - Jan 17, 06:50 AM
Regions too hard to defend.
Yeah that's also been a problem with most recent proposed maps.
Matty wrote:
You can maybe easily fix the 4 corner problem, and add some rivers to improve the gameplay.
But it really looks like one big chunk of land. It lacks character.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
I agree on the 4 corners problem, I can guess that the corners don't make the connection but it is not clear, is better having clear borders.

I only partially agree with the non-defensibility of the regions. I agree that a good map should have defensible regions but those are average, as many other maps on this site. I'm not sure you all have look into it enough.

The whole shape of the map is poor, I agree, maybe it would be nice having a river along the south border of the red region, with a couple of bridges... And maybe some mountains to break a bit the western land.

Potentially a good map for me.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
I have just made some amendments, which should make some separation on the map.

Let me know if it is overcoming with the 4 corner problem.

Also could someone explain what the 4 corner thing is, so that I have a base to work from next time.

I will clean up graphics a little and add tags if there is interest in this map.
Matty wrote:
Take a look at the +4 region, and the +2 region bordering it.
The 4 bordering territories can of course all attack horizontally and vertically.

It is however unclear whether or not they can attack diagonally.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Do you mean this area and what exactly?

http://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/frame/snapshot.jpg

I'm just off out for the evening, so I will talk more tomorrow.
Matty wrote:
[image]

We all know 1 can attack 2 and 4, but it will never be clear whether or not 1 can attack 3.

The same holds for the other 3 territories.
urgul wrote:
i think that large red region is still worth 8.
theres also a four corners problem in the purple region.... youll see what i mean
aeronautic wrote:
There's a weird bug somewhere, when I click Urgul's hyperlink above the linked forum looks like this:
.. .----. -- / .. -- .--. .-. . ... ... . -.. / - .... .- - / -.--

Ok Matty I see the problem and will fix that.

@Urgul, there are 2 purple regions the left or right one?

To all, I think I understand the 4 corners thing now, it where 2 lines cross giving 4 corners of separate territories and in most cases, it's hard to tell what can attack what... I will correct all these.
aeronautic wrote:
I think I've fixed the 4 corners problem, can someone proof check it please?

Also altered bonuses to suit.

I've also changed a territory colour as it was too similar to its neighbour.