New Map
  • 53 posts
  • Page 4 of 4
Thorpe wrote:
@ Matty...you are right, Do not use a table...all maps must have a mini-map per standards.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
The_Bishop wrote:
I liked better the previous version with bonuses for holding both twin regions. As it is now, it's, for me, too similar to Caribbean Double, except the +1 bonus. But I'm not fan of that map, usually I avoid to play it. And why to give a +1 bonus for conquering the twin region, when it is the easiest thing to do?

If I had to give a special bonus for holding twin regions then I would have removed the connectivity between twin territories, so that if you want to get that special bonus you have to conquer the region that is in the opposite site of the map... It would be more interesting for me!

But then you would get a circle shaped map... too simple shape! Better to add some connections to break the circle, let say: Kailua_Koni_2 to Manele and Manele_2 to Kailua_Koni. Also, it's weird for me to see not a connection line between Kaena and Kapalaua, it might be good also Ka_Lae_2 and Ewa.

Dark red regions and light green regions have too high bonuses.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Clarke wrote:
So here is my latest version of Hawaii. I put in a "simple background" per Life in Pixels request. I made the minimap smaller and a little more away from the main map to ensure it is the minimap. I removed the +1 for holding both regions because for some regions it is actually easier to old both than just 1.

To address The Bishop: I wanted it to be kind of circular. And since you can jump from any place on the map to it's twin space on the other side, I didnt want to have TOO many connector lines. If you have too many you can almost move from anyplace to anyplace. Also Vexer gave me a mathematical formula to determine how many bonus a region should have and I followed it. Dont forget every territory is a defendable territory since it is a double map. Vexer had stressed that people like to be able to defend their areas so less connecting lines are better.

My original map was one hawaii only. Not the twin islands. But it had poor gameplay so Life In Pixels and others suggested the double map.

I forgot to put the note about being able to attack the twin space on the other island. Other than that, what comments do you have for me now?

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/Richard_B_Clarke/media/D12%20Maps/HawaiiVI_zps71d7befd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
lifeinpixels wrote:
Getting a lot better.

1. Gameplay issue - for those who will not play this map a lot, some connections might be a little confusing. For example, finding the parallel to Lua Makika (small light blue) will be very annoying because instead of its parallel simply being shifted down, it's also inverted horizontally. Caribbean Double is intuitive but this map, maybe less so. I'm not sure how big of an issue this will be.

2. I like the new background a lot more than the old one. The whole graphic tone of this map is different from most others, but I do think it has a place here.

3. The border is great, but now everything is squeezed too tight! There needs to be more margin between the objects and the border. Other maps don't need to do this as much, but I can't really place my finger on why yours is different. Maybe someone else could explain it.

4. Papyrus is ok for the territory names and all, but I want something bolder, though still in character with the map. Papyrus is used far too much these days and although I know you don't mean it, to me it gives a "low-budget" feel to the map.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yep, I didn't consider the twin-connections, the fact is that once you hold both twin regions you will get a defensible region with very high bonus. Not bad, just as Caribbean Double is, but this is not for me.

I think textures are needed.
The_Bishop wrote:
Sorry, I didn't want to be critical, just my thoughts, but I guess somebody is waiting for another double map with twin connections, for example lifeinpixels looks happy for this.
I have to admit that it's not my favorite style but it would be nice to have another one, just not to allow Caribbean Double to be alone on that department.

Trust me, I'm one that likes maps with easy-to-defend regions and high bonuses, those propel the fight. But let me say that in this map if you conquer pink or red regions (both the twins) you get very high bonuses (but still acceptable). But the light greens no, that's too much for me: if you conquer both they are 10 territories with 4 borders that worth a +9!! (4+4+1) I guess that bonus should be reduced to +3 so that if you conquer both the twins you'll be awarded with a still high +7. (3+3+1) This is the minimal change I can suggest without changing too much the game-play style as it is.

I know you have calculated bonuses with Vexer's formula but when you assign the bonuses you have also to take a look to the 'super-regions'. In this case the 'super-regions' are easy formed by conquering twin regions, plus they are awarded with a special +1 bonus, that is nice for me but you should keep in count that it rise up the effect of holding twin regions.

Apart from that I think Clarke is producing something nice. I agree with lifeinpixels about the dividers lines, they are nice, and about the dashed connections too, I think they should be direct not... 'zig-zag'. I don't know anything about 'papyrus' font but it looks nice to me. And... I have already said... I think land and ocean need textures. Or you want a map in solid colors?
Thorpe wrote:
Yes it needs some texture.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Clarke wrote:
(1) add textures
(2) shrink everything by 5% to give more space around edges
(3) use straight line connectors and not "L" shapes with bends
(4) change font (anyone have any suggestions from the standard Office 2010 fonts?)

I understand the point of: If you hold BOTH islands you can actually defend the 2 more easily than only defending 1. But should we penalize the bonus one deserves for earning one of the islands just because it might give them too much of a bonus if at any point they finally conquer both islands?

Thorpe: Please weigh in on this. Which bonuses do you want changed. Please note:there is no longer any additional bonus for holding both islands. Just double 1 island.