New Map
  • 53 posts
  • Page 1 of 4
Clarke wrote:
Okay here is my second attempt at a map. This one is a double map like Caribbean Double.

It is Hawaii like my first one. Some notes on the design:

1) Each of the Hawaiian islands have an official color. I used those colors for the islands on my map.

2) The texture I used for each island is Hawaiian Tiki wood.

3) Like the Caribbean double map, you can attack the same twin territory on the other island.

4) Unlike the Caribbean map, you must own BOTH islands of a single color to get the region bonuses.

5) I used Vexer's formula to determine how many reinforcements each region should be worth.

6) The background is a hawaiian tribal design I found on a free share wallpaper site.

Now I understand no other map looks like this one. But I think I have my own style, like not having thick lines (or any lines) that outline the islands/regions. So don't be so quick to dismiss this map because of the style. I really like it and hope you do as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_toaBLQPd1FbmxaSkp2X0tveTg/edit?usp=sharing
lifeinpixels wrote:
I love your creativity Clarke! This is certainly a new type of map, and I am excited to see variety in our maps here.

A few issues I noticed:
1. I think it is too hard to hold both regions of the same color for the bonus. For example, in order to get a +1 bonus on orange (Lanai) you need to secure 4 borders! I think that you should have more regions that are easier to hold.
2. I liked the old graphics more than this one. A black background isn't something I'm crazy about. Your old map had more tropical colors too which would fit the theme.
3. You should have at least a half-inch margin around the edges. Otherwise everything looks squished and too busy.

Maybe there's more, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I'm very excited to play on the finished product. Good luck!
Thorpe wrote:
Why do you have connection lines to the other Island, when you can attack their twin? Try a brown color for the background...I can not see the cool texture very well. Would you stare at this map for a hour? That is what happens when you play it...try toneing the colors down a bit on the islands and the colors do not go together.

The mini map needs to be bigger, the texture on the land stands out more on the gold islands then the other islands, you have to make them look like they have the same amount of texture on all the land. You can have faded spots but it has to flow.

Having fun yet?

One other thing you should have put this in the other Hawaii forum topic, not under a new one.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
The_Bishop wrote:
Game play is fine for me. Similar to Caribbean Double but a bit different, I would say a bit better. Bonuses are o.k. for me, I guess they are calculated with Vexer's formula. I'm not a fan of those 2-territories regions really, but this is personal. Maybe Orange and Grey can be merged though.

Graphics I don't think it's o.k. Irregular shaped territories are nice but the new background... not so much! Nor the blue texts in my opinion. I liked the style of your first version!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
urgul wrote:
Yes, I certainly liked the "look" of the first map, and I love the mirror idea on this map. It's great! I really like it.
Cireon wrote:
You could always have normal region bonuses AND an additional +1/+2 for holding both.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Clarke wrote:
Okay I will take all of this feedback and get back to work. Due to the holidays I wont work on it for a couple of weeks. But maybe in 3 weeks you will see my latest update with all of the feedback above taken into consideration.
Clarke wrote:

Okay taking everything into consideration (read all comments above) here is my latest rough draft for HAWAII double map.

It is not done (no textures on land masses for example). But what comment are there about this one?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_toaBLQPd1FX0g2OU1FOXIyR3c/edit?usp=sharing
urgul wrote:
LOOOOVE IT!
Just one thing I can see:
1.) The font is just a bit small. It's hard to read,
lifeinpixels wrote:
Cireon - Dec 20, 02:59 PM
You could always have normal region bonuses AND an additional +1/+2 for holding both.

I still like this idea much more than what you currently have. With the current bonus amounts, I think it's unreasonable to expect players to be able to hold both regions. You'd have to make the incentives much higher and even then, I think the game would not have enough small regions (which are important in smaller maps like this).
Clarke wrote:
I undid that. You need only ONE island for the bonus shown. The message simply says that the bonus is the same for the "twin" island. Didnt want to waste space showing the second cluster of islands.

So basically I took your suggestion from 12/20 and did exactly that. But I did give the +1 bonus IF you happen to secure both islands. That is the second note.

Look at it again. Are my notes confusing?
lifeinpixels wrote:
Very sorry, for some reason I commented on your first post in this thread!

Besides Urgul's comment about small text, I do like this map a lot now. My only other comment for now (and this is being picky) is that I'm not a huge fan of the background. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't feel right. But again this is just my opinion so if you like it a lot, don't let me stop you.

Nice update!
Clarke wrote:
I simply found and used a generic "parchment paper" background.

I have no affection for it but unless someone provides me with something else...

Perhaps you can google and find something you think will compliment the map?

I am open for suggestions...