Time for a redo
  • 68 posts
  • Page 5 of 5
aeronautic wrote:
I can say this, thinking about how you want to make a map and actually making a map (to D12 standards) are Venus and Mars, i.e. "worlds apart".
The Cartographers are putting everything we can into retouching all the old maps we can manage from a flat image or that have been granted permission by the author and supplied the source file of, plus remaking the ones that would be more difficult to retouch, as well as taking care of new proposed & developing maps and making amendments to existing maps, in order to bring the whole D12 map repertoire close to a minimum standard.
Unfortunately some maps are just too difficult (graphically) to try to retouch without the source file and some maps would need completely remaking regardless of having the source file.
Remaking the map would mean that a lot will change and the map might well then get a lot of resentment from the players because it's not the map they expect to see. The map might not even be very popular in the first place and would be even less popular if the game-play was kept and a new map was made to fit it.

In a nutshell, maps are talked about in depth by the staff and what we decide has its reasons, some of which are outlined above and anyone is welcome to produce a new version of a map they feel they need after it has been deactivated (with the permission of the original author), but will have to work very hard and hope to pass the usual scrutiny of the Map Forum in order to get it into Beta. The staff have already decided that their valuable time can be better spent elsewhere.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
I would also like to add that there are other maps where after about 100 hours + on creating and developing them solely for the pleasure of the players, sometimes they present themselves best in the foreground as more toward pastel colours when in contrast with dark backgrounds which look awesome and loved by all (too good to lose), but most people don't think these foreground colours are irritating or disruptive to their expectations in any way. Some are, but very few and these are easily eliminated if they get too irritating to a lot of peoples preferred screen settings.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
Never liked this map. The first version in my opinion was far from the concept of beauty. Then the trees, but they are too much 3D for me and they cover irregularly the territory dividers causing confusion on which territory can attack which.

Gameplay it was too much "peninsular" and for the kind of games I play -- increasing deathmatch -- it tends to be pretty boring. Probably it was more funny to play it with Fog (I know Spam is a Fog player), then every time you enter a nest you'll be excited to discover if there is a "beast" hidden inside or not (or more then one!).

Regions are pretty large since I would avoid a high number of players, but also having 60 territories it causes multiple-of-3 problems with 4 and 5 players. Since in my opinion it was good only for 6 players with Fog.

Then some evident graphical imprecision, never adjusted by the person who holds the file, finally condemned it to deactivation. But rather than search the original file I think you can work for a complete redo.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Sygmassacre wrote:
I went looking for this map the other day. I guess that's a good example of why it was deactivated. But with all the great maps that have been created in the last year or so its easy to look past some others. Still, I liked it as it stood out from all other maps.
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
Hoodlum wrote:
i could imagine aero making a supercool graphical remake of this..style of westeros & essos
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
maafi wrote:
Saw this map mentioned by SpamFree in live chat.
I enjoyed this one - especially fog games. Can some clever person remake it?
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Hoodlum gave it a retouch in his map dabble thread - feedback was minimal for some reason... Anyway here's the link to it:
https://dominating12.com/forums/3/map-creation/1803/map-dabble/post/57402#post-57402
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

The_Bishop wrote:
Very nice restyling by Hood. I see many Fog of War lovers, and this map seems ideal for that setting. Maybe it should be re-activated?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein