Time for a redo
  • 68 posts
  • Page 1 of 5
marcoxa wrote:
Ok so i know i have gotten many requests to change several things about the Jungle Of Despair map. Well now is the time to put those to action.

One thing i learned to do since working on Keeva is that never start you work on the size your going to finish with. Fixes are so much much more crisp when you have double the pixels to work with, and you can hide certain things when you resize it to its final size. So last night i took a few hours to recreate the Jungle Of Despair map in high quality. i made a new larger file and redrew the outline. made new color layers, a new background, and minimap. the only thing i saved from the original files was the text layers, since those are a pain in the but to redo.

None of this is final, but i wanted to start it and get to a point where i can actually made modifications to the map. So please give me all the suggestions you have because now is the time.

Anyways, here is what i have so far:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x2/123william123_2007/JungleOfDespair2_zps4d43ad59.png
[image]
Cireon wrote:
It looks very clean to me.

Now I have a little idea, but some of you might not like it. I am just throwing this out there, because I think this may be a cool effect.

Your current map looks like pieces of bright paper floating a long way above a blurry forest. What I think you should do is make the territories really fit within the background. What I mean with this is that you could consider the playable area an open field within the jungle. So at the place where the territories start, you see the edge of the forest and a grassy field begins. You can then try and work with as little background colour as possible, so you actually see the grassy background behind. Maybe work with a glow on the borders only, similar to what was suggested for the desert territories on the Africa map.

I think it would be really cool if you can actually make the territories look like they are IN the jungle. If you want to go less extreme, you could also try to make the outermost borders look like there are trees hanging over it, to simulate a sense of depth.

I hope I was not too vague with explaining my idea. While this is not one of my favourite maps, I really enjoy the uniqueness of it definitely is an interesting map to play on, so I am looking forward to an improvement on the graphics.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I think it's a very good idea Cireon (what I don't knoe it's if it would be too much work for marcoxa), it would make this map even more original .
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
marcoxa wrote:
i really like the idea. i'll think about it for a bit and see if i come up with something.
Leedog wrote:
Map has improved, but would like to see a more refined title.
marcoxa wrote:
sorry leedog, just finished this update. i'll do that next update.

i know this is not perfect. but tell me what you guys think:
[image]
Cireon wrote:
It needs some work maybe, because some territories have become a bit unclear now, but I think this could turn out quite nice :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
marcoxa wrote:
any suggestions with colors? i played with it so much i had to stop :/
elysium5 wrote:
move the name Bulldog Bat down just a little. it looks like more than one territory at the top.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I like the last one, but I think that the trees in "Passion Flower" and "Happy Eagle"are too big. Maybe, it would be easier to delete them
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
elysium5 wrote:
yes, if the tree in happy eagle was reduced a little you could ignore my last suggestion.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
elysium5 wrote:
can't think of anything. it looks amazing!